Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
11-10-2007, 10:07 PM   #16

Photos: Gallery
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Mike Cash Quote
The thing is, whether you shoot in Av mode or M mode, you still have to focus and then close down the aperture. By doing it in Av mode you eliminate the need to press the AE-L button altogether. The camera meters off the stopped down aperture. And it has the benefit of remaining accurate even if the light level changes, since it is tracking the exposure all the way down to the time of shooting. Not the case with AE-L.
How do I set aperture value when being in M mode ? on digital display I have Av-- while in M mode, I guess I do not understand would you please explain, thank you. (I'm using k100d)

andy

11-10-2007, 10:13 PM   #17

Original Poster
Result

Greeting All

Please check "Post your photos" subforum.
I'm posting a picture done with a 135mm f2.8
and would like your opinion how good/bad i did.
Thank you.

andy
11-11-2007, 01:51 AM   #18
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by xandy Quote
How do I set aperture value when being in M mode ? on digital display I have Av-- while in M mode, I guess I do not understand would you please explain, thank you. (I'm using k100d)

andy
With screwmount lenses the lens and the camera have no electrical communication with each other and therefore the camera has not the slightest idea in the world what your aperture is set on.....meaning it can't replace the "--" with numbers in your display. This has no effect on picture taking, except that the camera can't record the aperture info together with your picture.

You set the aperture with the aperture ring on the lens. If in M mode, you then press the AE-L button to set the shutter speed. You need to go into the "Custom Setting", find "AE-L bttn on M expsr" and set it to #2 "Tv Shift" in order for that to work. If in Av mode, you don't need to do anything to set the shutter speed. Just turn the aperture ring to where you want it, and shoot.
11-11-2007, 03:59 AM   #19
Pentaxian
Moderator Emeritus

Photos: Gallery | Albums
If you look at the front of your camera there is a focus switch as seen in this picture. Sorry I forgot that it is AF of MF on the K100D. Not AF.S But just leave it in AF mode and the focus sensors in the camera will assist you in getting focus lock. It's fine for slow moving or still life shots but trying to capture sports will be tougher. You may want to try something different with these types of lenses. Pick a spot on the field where the action seems to happen and get the camera focused then when the players enter that zone fire the shutter "trap focus". The camera won't fire until something in the frame is in focus. Otherwise you will have to put that switch in MF and learn to follow the action manually.

Last edited by Peter Zack; 12-16-2007 at 08:57 AM.
11-11-2007, 06:09 PM   #20

Original Poster
Thanks to All for answers in this thread.

Thanks a lot, now I'm all set up but will ask again when I accidently reset my settings :-)

andy
11-13-2007, 01:32 PM   #21
Veteran Member

You need to go into the "Custom Setting", find "AE-L bttn on M expsr" and set it to #2 "Tv Shift" in order for that to work. If in Av mode, you don't need to do anything to set the shutter speed. Just turn the aperture ring to where you want it, and shoot.
The default value for "AE-L bttn on M expsr" is "Program Line" which I take it means that if the lens has MTF data then the body adjusts both the aperture and shutter speed to get the best result. Is that right?

For K, M, A and M42 lenses there is no MTF data so it cannot use this information, and since the camera can only change the shutter speed this is why you recommend using "Tv Shift".

However, I find with M42 lenses and "AE-L bttn on M expsr" set to "Program Line" when I use the AE-L button the body changes the shutter speed according to the light level, so it appears that the body behaves the same way as "Tv Shift" when there's no MTF data. Since I use my DA lens in M mode I keep "AE-L bttn on M expsr" set to "Program Line" because that works as expected for lenses with MTF data (change both aperture and shutter speed) and those without (just change shutter speed).

Richard
11-13-2007, 01:43 PM   #22
Veteran Member

You need to go into the "Custom Setting", find "AE-L bttn on M expsr" and set it to #2 "Tv Shift" in order for that to work. If in Av mode, you don't need to do anything to set the shutter speed. Just turn the aperture ring to where you want it, and shoot.
The default value for "AE-L bttn on M expsr" is "Program Line" which I take it means that if the lens has MTF data then the body adjusts both the aperture and shutter speed to get the best result. Is that right?

For K, M, A and M42 lenses there is no MTF data so it cannot use this information, and since the camera can only change the shutter speed this is why you recommend using "Tv Shift".

However, I find with M42 lenses and "AE-L bttn on M expsr" set to "Program Line" when I use the AE-L button the body changes the shutter speed according to the light level, so it appears that the body behaves the same way as "Tv Shift" when there's no MTF data. Since I use my DA lens in M mode I keep "AE-L bttn on M expsr" set to "Program Line" because that works as expected for lenses with MTF data (change both aperture and shutter speed) and those without (just change shutter speed).

Richard