Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
11-10-2007, 11:04 AM   #1

Photos: Gallery
Measuring light

Greeting All

I have search and read the forum about using manual lenses yet I'm still a bit confused how to measure light with the use of AE-L button. Your help will be appreciated a lot. Thank you.
(I'd like to use mine SMC Takumar 1:2/55mm, I have an adapter)

andy

11-10-2007, 11:21 AM   #2
and
Veteran Member

Go to manual mode (M), and press the AE-L button to have the camera set the expsure
11-10-2007, 11:51 AM   #3
Inactive Account

Awesome and thanks
11-10-2007, 12:00 PM   #4

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by and Quote
Go to manual mode (M), and press the AE-L button to have the camera set the expsure
Thank you Andreas, would you suggest to change any other custom settings. I intend to use this feature and mentioned lens inside with a poor lighting but I'm not sure how good I'll be with a manual focusing.

andy

11-10-2007, 12:26 PM   #5
and
Veteran Member

well you need to set "allow aperture ring" in the custom menu. and use the aperture ring on the lens, the problem is the viewfinder will get darker as you stop down the aperture, it will be easiest to focus at f2.5. sure if the object doesnt move you can focus at f2.5 and then stop the lens down when you want to take the shot.

note i dont own a fully manual lens myself, I just answered because i knew. so some who uses manual lenses would be able to give a better answer than me.

also see this thread from the knowledge base
https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/pentax-photography-knowledge-base/3800-ca...unt-d-slr.html
11-10-2007, 12:48 PM   #6

Original Poster
That I call FANTASTIC help !

Thank you

andy
11-10-2007, 03:45 PM   #7
Veteran Member

I'm going to make your life a lot simpler, Andy. If you're using a screwmount lens there is no need to use the AE-L button at all.

Put your camera in Av mode.

1. Focus
2. Set aperture
3. Press shutter

You'll also probably want to set the EV to a + value to correct the underexposure. Experiment on a few shots and you'll soon figure it out. A better solution is the tape aluminum foil across the electrical contacts surrounding the lens mount area, but if you will be installing and removing the adapter often then the EV method works fine.
11-10-2007, 04:52 PM   #8

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Mike Cash Quote
I'm going to make your life a lot simpler, Andy. If you're using a screwmount lens there is no need to use the AE-L button at all.

1. Focus
2. Set aperture
3. Press shutter

You'll also probably want to set the EV to a + value to correct the underexposure. Experiment on a few shots and you'll soon figure it out. A better solution is the tape aluminum foil across the electrical contacts surrounding the lens mount area, but if you will be installing and removing the adapter often then the EV method works fine.
Thank you Mike,
I'll try that tonight. This time I'll use a different lens, 135mm f2.8 to have a better reach, will I have it ?
Using AE-L button works good with exception of fast moving objects, I shoot football (soccer) in poor lighting (indoor) and it is a very difficult task to manually focus. I'm stubborn, I have to explore all possibilities before I invest in more expensive glass :-)

Take care
andy

11-10-2007, 05:27 PM   #9
Veteran Member

While metering is easier for a screwmount lens, focusing gets tricky when using smaller aperture, say f5.6. - I have to turn the aperture ring to wide open, focus, set aperture, then shoot. I find it more awkward than pressing AE-L.

Any tips?
11-10-2007, 05:41 PM   #10
Pentaxian
Moderator Emeritus

Photos: Gallery | Albums
As for focusing the lens you can leave the focus switch on AF.S. Then the focusing system will assist you to get the focus lock. When the green light illuminates in the display the shot is in focus and you can shoot the picture.
11-10-2007, 05:43 PM   #11
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by ddhytz Quote
While metering is easier for a screwmount lens, focusing gets tricky when using smaller aperture, say f5.6. - I have to turn the aperture ring to wide open, focus, set aperture, then shoot. I find it more awkward than pressing AE-L.

Any tips?
I'm not sure what you mean. Are you saying that with a screwmount lens in M mode and pressing the AE-L button you don't have to open up to focus and then reset your aperture? I must be misunderstanding you.

In most situations, I find focusing is fine down to about f4, so that is generally where I leave the aperture set when not shooting. When I shoot, I turn on the camera, focus, move my fingers down to the aperture ring, set the aperture by counting clicks, and press the shutter button. All done with the camera to my eye and without requiring me to shift my right hand grip hunting for the too-small and poorly-located AE-L button.

The thing is, whether you shoot in Av mode or M mode, you still have to focus and then close down the aperture. By doing it in Av mode you eliminate the need to press the AE-L button altogether. The camera meters off the stopped down aperture. And it has the benefit of remaining accurate even if the light level changes, since it is tracking the exposure all the way down to the time of shooting. Not the case with AE-L.
11-10-2007, 06:21 PM   #12
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
Cool topic to follow
11-10-2007, 06:29 PM   #13
Veteran Member

... f4, so that is generally where I leave the aperture set when not shooting. When I shoot, I turn on the camera, focus, move my fingers down to the aperture ring, set the aperture by counting clicks,....
I was talking about screwmount lens used in AV mode - I should have mentioned it clearly.

I knew you must have some secrets - f4 and counting clicks!! This is something new I learn today. Thank you, Mike.

Regarding the focus trap Peter mentioned, I find it sometime does not work when stopped down to a smaller aperture.
11-10-2007, 06:52 PM   #14
Veteran Member

The technique you want to use with this is the trick used in pre-autofocus days....."pre-focus".

There are several ways to do it:

1. "Eyeball" the distance and use the distance scale on the lens to preset the focus. Good for quick, surreptitious, "man I hope this works...." candid shots. Naturally stopping down as much as possible to improve DOF increases your odds.

2. Spot some item in a different direction than your subject, but which is at the same distance. Focus on that and then shoot your subject. Similar to #1, but with the added benefit that people tend to be better at judging whether two items are at a similar distance than they are at judging the actual distance in feet or meters.

3. If your subject can be predicted to pass through a certain point, then prefocus on that point. Shoot as they pass through it.
11-10-2007, 10:01 PM   #15

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Peter Zack Quote
As for focusing the lens you can leave the focus switch on AF.S. Then the focusing system will assist you to get the focus lock. When the green light illuminates in the display the shot is in focus and you can shoot the picture.
Peter, I cannot find the focus switch on my k100d ;-) where is it? do you refer to settings in menu ? I did shoot when green light came on.
I have good results when shooting stationary objects and while shooting football I'm getting better but not good enough to have printing quality :-(

andy