Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
06-08-2011, 12:30 AM   #31
Inactive Account

Photos: Albums
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by sjwaldron Quote
Wow, those two listed are used and around $3800.

I have to say though, Pentax would be my preference. I have a DA* 300mm and recently used it with the Kenko 1.5x Pz AF converter at an airshow. Focus was pretty slow, but I did get some great images for sure (from a technical sharpness standpoint, still processing them).
yeah im considering that option too. i have a photo hide near my house
for raptor feeding in the winter. those are more like portraits and im
sure the DA* 300 would do nicely for that.

06-08-2011, 12:35 AM   #32
Inactive Account

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Ben_Edict Quote
Hi Christian

Welcome to this forum and the world of Pentax photography. Not to discourage your decision to make the switch from Canon. But your choice for current long and fast lenses in Pentax mount are pretty limited. Pentax doesn't offer anything at all, because I wouldn't consider the DA 300/4, because it is not really fast. May be you can get your hands on a FA 600/4 or FA 300/3.8 (both screw-driver AF, both very good), because you can perhaps still order the 600/4 from Pentax in Japan and some 300/2.8 somehow pop up from time to time.

Otherwise it is Sigma. Besides the 300//2.8 and the 120-300/2.8, which I think, would be a very versatile option, there is also the 500/4.5, which seems to be a good lens. You should look for Marc Languille here in the forum, because (if I remember rightly) he has used the Sigmas and also owns (and puts to good use9 the Pentax long glass.

You find quite good info in the 300mm lens club thread: https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/lens-clubs/55946-300mm-plus-lens-club-dis...ng-lenses.html

Ben
Thank you :-)

i know the long glas is a challenge, but i did get the K5 primarily for it's
landscape capabilities. i just wasnt satisfied with the raw output from
the 7D's sensor.

i will check up on your links, thanks

/Chris
06-08-2011, 06:48 AM   #33
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Pentaxor Quote
Sigma has already announced the new 150mm macro OS will be available for the K-mount. B&H already listed it on their website and supposedly become available later this year.
When I bought my first Pentax (K10D off this very forum) 3 years ago the first thing I did was email Sigma about the non OS version of the 150mm in Pentax mount. They told me it was def going to be made but had no idea when because they were waiting to be told by Japan. From then on I emailed them nearly every couple of months and got the same answer from different staff members.

Nothing ever happened.

As I said though ... hope I am wrong.
06-08-2011, 07:23 AM   #34
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by K5DK Quote
RonHendriks1966:
how did you experience the focus system of the lens as a whole ?
im asking because the only screw drive lenses i ever had is the 55-300 for my k5
and an old Tamron 24-135 for my Nik D700

otherwise i have only used USM/HSM lenses and i know they cant be compared.
but im interested in how the sigma 300mm drive compares to the 55-300 which
is paaaainfully slow ?
I just rescently bought DA*60-250mm wich is SDM. It is much faster then my DA*50-135mm eich is also SDM, but has a bigger throw from near to infinity.

The Sigmalens is fast as hell. I think at least twice as fast in focussing then the 60-250mm. I didn't meassure it, but I think it will even beat my DA 40mm/f2.8 Ltd wich is my fastes focussing lens that also runs on screwdrive. So no problem at all in that aeria.

06-08-2011, 08:59 AM   #35
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by RonHendriks1966 Quote
Yes that makes it 168-420mm/f4 and that is also a great reach, but still on the short side for birds.
Agreed that it is a bit short for birds.

I presently use the Pentax 1.7x A-FA converter on the DA*300/4 (510mm reach) but that also means losing a couple of stops!
Still, quite portable and still fairly easy to use handheld.

On the other hand, I find that I miss quite a few shots with this combo, surely because of my handheld technique (I very rarely use a tripod or seldom a monopod).

The good thing about this Sigma 120-300/2.8 (168-420/4 with the 1.4x TC) seems that you still get the extra 120mm and keep the AF.
I am just wondering how the IQ would be affected with attaching the TC though.
As for portability, of course it would be a bit larger/heavier but still do-able.

Interesting consideration.

JP
06-08-2011, 09:04 AM   #36
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Mike.P Quote
When I bought my first Pentax (K10D off this very forum) 3 years ago the first thing I did was email Sigma about the non OS version of the 150mm in Pentax mount. They told me it was def going to be made but had no idea when because they were waiting to be told by Japan. From then on I emailed them nearly every couple of months and got the same answer from different staff members.

Nothing ever happened.

As I said though ... hope I am wrong.
if that was the non-OS version, then that one never came into fruition and quite a disappointment for someone who wish to have one 3 years ago, me included. I can see all the cheap non-OS version (both used and brand-new) running around eBay from $300-$700 which makes me cringe with envy. but then again all is well since I guess we'll be getting the better end of the bargain, although for a bit more cash.

I did emailed them last month and received a reply that the OS version (k-mount) will come out later this year. it's too bad I can't post the message here since it's a privilege information.
06-08-2011, 09:16 AM   #37
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by jpzk Quote
The good thing about this Sigma 120-300/2.8 (168-420/4 with the 1.4x TC) seems that you still get the extra 120mm and keep the AF.
I am just wondering how the IQ would be affected with attaching the TC though.
There is a test on full frame, so it will performe much better on APS-C:
Sigma AF 120-300mm f/2.8 APO EX HSM DG OS (Canon EOS) - Review / Lens Test

I have seen a test with other lenses and 1,4xTC and you loose about one stop in image quality.
06-08-2011, 09:16 AM   #38
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Pentaxor Quote
I did emailed them last month and received a reply that the OS version (k-mount) will come out later this year. it's too bad I can't post the message here since it's a privilege information.
Well that's good news.

I just sold my DF-A 100mm a couple of days ago as there is another macro lens that I have always wanted to try and one came up on another forum at a decent price.

Just have to buy a body to go with it but I am having real problems actually spending the money .. it's not that I don't have it, I just feel a bit disloyal

06-08-2011, 09:41 AM   #39
Veteran Member

yeah im considering that option too. i have a photo hide near my house
for raptor feeding in the winter. those are more like portraits and im
sure the DA* 300 would do nicely for that.
Here are some full resolution images on Flickr as requested:
Flickr: dslrninja's stuff tagged with pbarticle06082011

I also wrote a blog posting with more details:
DA* 300mm and Kenko 1.5x Pz AF at the Airshow Absolute Sharpness | photographybanzai.com

06-08-2011, 09:51 AM   #40
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Mike.P Quote

Just have to buy a body to go with it but I am having real problems actually spending the money .. it's not that I don't have it, I just feel a bit disloyal
I know the feeling.
06-08-2011, 11:21 PM   #41
Inactive Account

Original Poster
good review of the combo.
the airshow pic's, they are all taken in AF-C mode right ?

/Christian

Here are some full resolution images on Flickr as requested:
Flickr: dslrninja's stuff tagged with pbarticle06082011

I also wrote a blog posting with more details:
DA* 300mm and Kenko 1.5x Pz AF at the Airshow Absolute Sharpness | photographybanzai.com

06-09-2011, 02:47 AM   #42
Inactive Account

Original Poster
Okay thanks. what about noise ? the screwdrive on my 55-300 sounds like
a sherman tank on a cobblestone road.. maybe not, but you get the picture.

im going for a wildlife lens, so i dont want a noise factory. how's the Sig 300 ?

/Christian

QuoteOriginally posted by RonHendriks1966 Quote
I just rescently bought DA*60-250mm wich is SDM. It is much faster then my DA*50-135mm eich is also SDM, but has a bigger throw from near to infinity.

The Sigmalens is fast as hell. I think at least twice as fast in focussing then the 60-250mm. I didn't meassure it, but I think it will even beat my DA 40mm/f2.8 Ltd wich is my fastes focussing lens that also runs on screwdrive. So no problem at all in that aeria.
06-09-2011, 07:03 AM   #43
Veteran Member

good review of the combo.
the airshow pic's, they are all taken in AF-C mode right ?
/Christian
The examples in my article/flickr should be in 9-point AF.C mode (9 or 11 point is selectable, I chose to try 9-point). I don't know if that type of data gets saved to EXIF, but if it does it should be in there.

On occasion throughout the event I did use manual focus. I'm still uploading/processing photos, but they will all be here:
scottjwaldron.com | Rockford Airshow 2011 - Coming soon!

After the fact, I think I should have been in Tv mode or something so I could have a super fast shutter speed to avoid some of the motion blur I was getting.
06-09-2011, 08:10 AM   #44
Inactive Account

Original Poster
The examples in my article/flickr should be in 9-point AF.C mode (9 or 11 point is selectable, I chose to try 9-point). I don't know if that type of data gets saved to EXIF, but if it does it should be in there.

On occasion throughout the event I did use manual focus. I'm still uploading/processing photos, but they will all be here:
scottjwaldron.com | Rockford Airshow 2011 - Coming soon!

After the fact, I think I should have been in Tv mode or something so I could have a super fast shutter speed to avoid some of the motion blur I was getting.

we dont really have airshows here so i never did try it myself, but
often when i look at images from airshows, the coolest ones
are those where you can see the prop spin and still it's not all
blurred so you can see the blades

thats one of the hardest things about airshow photography
as i understand it :-)

it's really the same when taking pictures of raptors.
it gives a really cool impression of speed if the tip of the wing is blurred
but the rest of the wing, and bird, is perfectly sharp

much like my Saker falcon... if only i had chosen a bit slower shutter,
but the wing tip is still not 110% sharp due to motion.

/Chris