Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
06-07-2011, 08:12 AM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
16-50mm SDM failure, luckily it works again...

We have been visiting Berlin this weekend.
While taking pictures inside the Berliner Dom, AF stopped working on my K5/DA*16-50mm combination.
All AF switches were in the right position, off-on switching, battery out, all failed to revive AF.
I feared for a SDM motor lock-up as has been reported so many times.
I started to make MF photo's for a while, knocked on the lens a couple of times and tried AF again after an hour or so.. it worked again!

My DA* 16-50mm is one of the first batches and I guess it has >100k photos on its record.

Bert

Berlin is a nice city by the way:

K-5 + 10-17mm:

K-5 + 16-50mm:

06-07-2011, 08:35 AM   #2
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Wow, sorry about the trouble but I love those shots. They are just wonderful.
06-07-2011, 10:09 AM   #3
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
So, do we need to carry a small rubber mallet in our camera bags? Glad that the problem was so easily solved. Let's hope that it does not recur. Your photos show that there is nothing wrong with the optics of your lens. Nice work.

Rob
06-07-2011, 10:15 AM   #4
Site Supporter

Great lens. Er, great photography skills. Glad your equipment survived the CPR...

06-07-2011, 10:24 AM   #5
Veteran Member

remember the time when we used to pound on the tv whenever we lose the reception? I guess the same can be done with the SDMs.
06-07-2011, 01:01 PM   #6
Ash
Community Manager
Loyal Site Supporter

Very nice symmetrical captures Bert.
Was there a long delay between usage on the 16-50 that may have caused the hiccup?
06-07-2011, 01:17 PM   #7
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Pentaxor Quote
remember the time when we used to pound on the tv whenever we lose the reception? I guess the same can be done with the SDMs.
It would be more gratifying to pound it up the side of a Pentax official's head!
06-07-2011, 01:51 PM   #8
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Blue Quote
It would be more gratifying to pound it up the side of a Pentax official's head!
good idea. who knows, it might start working again, like an electronic equipment should.

06-08-2011, 08:36 AM   #9
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Ash Quote
Very nice symmetrical captures Bert.
Was there a long delay between usage on the 16-50 that may have caused the hiccup?
Hi Ash,

It was not working for about 2 hours.
I was just so fed up with the problem!
We were walking through Berlin, wonderfull weather, lots of picture opportunities and no other lens with me besides my 10-17mm, so I guess I started hitting the lens in anger...

Ah well, it worked again!

Bert

NB We were very positively surprised by Berlin.
Much more to see than we anticipated, nice people, nice prices (except on prime locations, but what do you expect), relaxed atmosphere, great for architecture shooting, great musea.
06-08-2011, 09:01 AM   #10
Pentaxian

Beautiful pictures.
06-08-2011, 09:22 AM   #11
Veteran Member

My DA* 16-50 mm causes me troubles when I shoot straight down- and/or straight upwards. It's like the construction can't hold the focussing and focal distance due to the weight of the lens system. The lens body moves very slowly along the gravity and when I try to focus, then after a while the whole thing tends to lock-up.
I saw that you were shooting the ceiling of these buildings, that's straight upwards
I wonder if this happened to somebody else too?
06-08-2011, 09:43 AM   #12

Those are beautiful photos wish I was there to do the same! I have four Da* lenses when they start to act up I quickly removed them and wipe the contacts with a clean microfiber cloth. This procedure has worked quite well. Only one true SDM failure on my very early 50-135. This is just my thought, but I think some of the lens failures are not the motor but the quick shift clutch but that is just my gut feeling.
06-08-2011, 09:54 AM   #13
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by bymy141 Quote
We were walking through Berlin, wonderfull weather, lots of picture opportunities and no other lens with me besides my 10-17mm, so I guess I started hitting the lens in anger...
Did you year any noises come from the lens when you tried to focus or see the distance scale move very slightly?

At least with my DA* 300mm f4 I've had a few times where the connection between the screw-drive of the lens and camera body wasn't fully aligned or something, preventing the SDM motor from being able to focus the lens. So all I had to do was rotate the camera body's spring loaded screw-drive AF connector a bit and the lens worked just fine after that.
06-08-2011, 06:49 PM   #14
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by bymy141 Quote
Hi Ash,

Ah well, it worked again!

Bert

NB We were very positively surprised by Berlin.
Much more to see than we anticipated, nice people, nice prices (except on prime locations, but what do you expect), relaxed atmosphere, great for architecture shooting, great musea.
Are you aware that the DA*16-50 will work in MF mode, even if the SDM AF fails? This means that you can still shoot with it under duress and are not truly deprived of the lens. If you are not accustomed to focusing manually, it might not be a bad idea to work on your MF skills, including "Catch in Focus," just in case the SDM fails again. I have practiced with MF for that very reason.

Rob
06-09-2011, 05:04 AM   #15
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by philippe Quote
My DA* 16-50 mm causes me troubles when I shoot straight down- and/or straight upwards.
No Philippe, my lens has never experienced that problem. I've had that lens little over 3 years now, had it repaired for a loose front element and have dragt it around the world since then.

QuoteOriginally posted by BCtoad Quote
I have four Da* lenses when they start to act up I quickly removed them and wipe the contacts with a clean microfiber cloth.
If it ever happens again, I'll try that. Microfiber cloth is standard in my bag.

QuoteOriginally posted by sjwaldron Quote
Did you year any noises come from the lens when you tried to focus or see the distance scale move very slightly?
No, I did not hear any noise, but I did not really check close by.

QuoteOriginally posted by robgo2 Quote
Are you aware that the DA*16-50 will work in MF mode, even if the SDM AF fails? Rob
Yes, I know. That's how I survived the intermediate period...

- Bert