Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
06-07-2011, 10:16 PM   #1

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Pentax macro lenses greater than 1X magnification??

Are there any macro lenses for Pentax with greater than 1x magnification?

I have the DFA 100 WR which has been decent, but spotted a friend of a friend with a Canon E65 (?) or something that also increases the magnification up to a crazy 5x!

He was getting some great images from it, really quite abstracted, and made me a little jealous

can you only do this with extension tubes with Pentax? (if so, that will prove difficult with the DFA 100 with lack of aperture ring?)

06-07-2011, 10:33 PM   #2
Pentaxian

It can be done, and there are many ways and none of them are quite as easy or convenient as using the canon MP-E 65mm f/2.8

1) use extension tubes or teleconverters - and find our own way around the lack of aperture ring on your DFA 100mm f/2.8 WR Macro
2) reverse mounting lenses together E.G a 50mm f/1.4 and a 100mm f/2.8 will give you about 2X magnification.
06-07-2011, 10:48 PM   #3
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
or just stack up some close-up lens like the Marumi on your macro lens and you will get the magnification like your friend did.
06-08-2011, 03:57 AM   #4

Original Poster
thanks, will look into both suggestions!

I have an FA50/1.4 but as I understood, the lack of aperture ring on the DFA100WR was a problem

06-08-2011, 06:08 AM   #5
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by JayR Quote
thanks, will look into both suggestions!

I have an FA50/1.4 but as I understood, the lack of aperture ring on the DFA100WR was a problem
You can control the aperture on the DFA WR with the dial in Av or manual. But to clarify, there are no Pentax macro lenses with greater than 1:1. To get there requires extension tubes, bellows, lens reversal, or stacking etc.

Edit: That Canon MP-E 65 is a nice glass, but it doesn't do infinity focus and it isn't auto focus and it too lacks an aperture ring.

Last edited by Blue; 06-08-2011 at 10:10 AM.
06-08-2011, 06:27 AM   #6
Veteran Member

Your DFA100WR's lack of an aperture ring needn't be a problem.

It IS a problem if:
1) you reverse that lens with a mount-reversal ring (which isn't a good idea), or
2) you mount that lens on non-A-type extension (bellows or cheap tubes).

It ISN'T a problem if:
3) you use supplemental optics (closeup adapters, or a reverse-stacked lens), or
4) you mount that lens on A-type extension (macro tubes or de-glassed TC's).

The cleanest way to get more magnification is with extension. AF tubes or TC's ain't cheap, but AF is not your friend when shooting macros. A-type tubes cost less; used A-type TC's cost even less, and function as tubes when their glass is removed. But with a 100mm 1:1 macro lens, you need another 100mm of extension to reach 2:1. That gets clumsy. But you have plenty of working distance.

Then there are supplemental optics. The easiest way to shoot closer is to use cheap closeup adapters, those ubiquitous +dioptre meniscus strap-ons. Costing a bit more, but with cleaner results, are corrected closeup adapters like the Raynox DCR-150 (4.8dpt) and DCR-250 (8dpt). These adapters just shorten the working distance.

Reverse-stacking can provide much greater magnification. But it's best if both the long primary (mounted on the camera) and the short secondary (reverse-stacked onto the primary) DON'T have deep front insets. All my macro camera lenses have such insets, so I don't use them that way. Also, reverse-stacking primes means your working distance is ~45mm, under 2in.

IMHO your best, cleanest options are:
1) Some A-type extension for magnification under 2:1
2) A Raynox or other closeup adapter for easy closer work