Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
06-08-2011, 09:42 PM   #16
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
In many ways I prefer AF lenses, especially screw drive and not the SDM. I have acquired a old Contax Zeiss 28/f2.8 Distagon that I really like. I converted it to a K mount. So yes, I would support this with modifications.
  • K mount (obviously),
  • screw drive AF,
  • chipped lenses (for digital ID, etc.)
  • updated older designs with digital coatings
However, where I digress with the thread's topic - I would go with AF, but with the manual amount of focus rotation. This would appeal to the larger masses, but still provide the manual focusing capabilities to those that want it. It would also appeal to a larger group and thus be more salable. A cop out - possibly, but for Pentax to make the investment, they need to be able to sell a substantial number in order to 1) make a profit and 2) maintain a reasonable price.

Will Pentax expand the FA Ltd line. Probably not, but using the DA* lens body series, would certainly be in line for this type of lens.... I like my DA 12-24 and the construction of my DA 10-17 is wonderful.

06-08-2011, 09:48 PM   #17
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by interested_observer Quote
Will Pentax expand the FA Ltd line. Probably not
i'm inclined to agree, but there is a possibility that pentax might go down this path at some point. I know people who are pining for a re-issue of the FA*200mm f/4 ED[IF] macro - I know yeatzee would just love one.

though I am quite content with my lens collection especially since I own a FA*200mm f/4 ED macro.
06-08-2011, 09:49 PM   #18
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Digitalis Quote
i'm inclined to agree, but there is a possibility that pentax might go down this path at some point. I know people who are pining for a re-issue of the FA*200mm f/4 ED[if] macro - I know yeatzee would just love one.

Your buying?

even after selling every bit of camera equipment i own, im still not sure I'd have enough for one!
06-08-2011, 09:57 PM   #19
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by yeatzee Quote
even after selling every bit of camera equipment i own, im still not sure I'd have enough for one!
well if they re-introduced it that would stabilise the price or even drive it down if they up-dated the lens coatings,and added WR. Not that I have really had any flare issues from my FA*200mm f/4 Macro - my sigma 180mm f/3.5 APO EX Macro is an absolute disaster in that respect - though the weatherproofing could come in handy.

06-08-2011, 09:57 PM   #20
Banned

Photos: Albums
One can always dream, but this doesn't make much sense. There are other things that Pentax could manufacture and sell more of. Manual lenses are really a niche market and I'm not sure how Pentax could provide same quality cheaper than the Cosina Z/V series (thus selling more) or how they could beat the offers from Samyang (I don't expect you can beat Samyang on price).

How about a set of SDM extension rings? That should be easy for a start.

Or a DA 55-300 WR - most people would get that, I'm sure.
06-08-2011, 09:59 PM   #21
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by ryan s Quote
If a huge hunk of glass like the 50/1.2 was produced in a limited number, what would prevent it from being $500-1000 like the VL/Zeiss lenses were/are?

I'd LOVE a modern manual lens line with classic build quality and feel...but I can't imagine a 28/2 (the "Hollywood" Distagon) being less than a grand. And then why wouldn't I just seek out a K28/2 or an actual Zeiss Distagon (and modify the camera mount a bit) for what...$300-600?

But I didn't read the original thread on this topic so maybe I'm missing something
Pentax actually turned out a batch of A 50/1.2 last year and sold them out of Japan and Hong Kong at ~ $960 each.
06-08-2011, 10:03 PM   #22
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Laurentiu Cristofor Quote
One can always dream, but this doesn't make much sense. There are other things that Pentax could manufacture and sell more of. Manual lenses are really a niche market and I'm not sure how Pentax could provide same quality cheaper than the Cosina Z/V series (thus selling more) or how they could beat the offers from Samyang (I don't expect you can beat Samyang on price).

How about a set of SDM extension rings? That should be easy for a start.

Or a DA 55-300 WR - most people would get that, I'm sure.
The reason Cosina can get the ridiculous prices for their lenses is that Pentax isn't producing many mf lenses anymore. And Samyang can't really go head to head with the lenses mentioned previously in this thread. I would rather use a 45 year old Tak (Tak, Auto, Super, SMC) as to even bother with a Samwhang.

06-08-2011, 10:14 PM   #23
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Blue Quote
The reason Cosina can get the ridiculous prices for their lenses is that Pentax isn't producing many mf lenses anymore.
agreed, though bear in mind Cosina can't really compete with Pentax SMC coatings. Cosina certainly aren't offering any weather resistant lenses in the consumer market.

though if pentax produced a series of manual focus lenses with no-holds-barred optical design and physical construction with prices at or over the 1K mark would people still buy them?...possibly, for instance I bought a Leica 21mm f/1.4 last year - manual focus...apart from the IR lens indexing there isn't really anything near the lens/body integration you get from A series pentax lens, and that lens set me back 8K

Pentax could make that 35mm f/1.4 manual focus lens they prototyped all those years ago - which would, be great because Zeiss (Cosina) announced production of a 35mm f/1.4 in every mount except 4/3rds and Pentax K
06-08-2011, 10:37 PM   #24
Veteran Member

Personally, I've got zero interest in any "DM-WR" line of lenses.

Just my 2c.
06-09-2011, 02:15 AM   #25

AF lenses need to be light to make them focus fast.
AF lenses need to have restricted focus throw to make them focus fast.
FA ltds are to big beause they are made to support full frame.

Manual focus lenses need long focus throw and a decent focusing collar.
For APS-c they don't need to be bulky.

When you mainly focus manually a AF lens is just not the right tool !
In time we are running out of mf lenses due malfunctioning diafraghm's and fungus.

Perhaps a sibling production of DA's is economical more realistic.
One with wider focus throw end less minimalistic focusing collar.
06-09-2011, 07:16 AM   #26
Banned

Original Poster
If old designs would be used, what should be altered to make them DM? Is it only coating and a new shell?

Then again the question: wich lens would be the best one to start with?
06-09-2011, 08:22 AM   #27
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by RonHendriks1966 Quote
If old designs would be used, what should be altered to make them DM? Is it only coating and a new shell?
Well, forgive me if I'm way off base here, but aren't DA and DA* lenses structured optically so that they only transmit light to an APS-C sized sensor? When you put them on a film body, many of them create a circular image in the middle of the frame.

So optically, they would need to be shrunk or slightly redesigned to be DM, if I understand it correctly.

But what would happen if you did that? Let's say they put out the classic trio of primes, of which Pentax produced some of the best lenses in times past:

28mm F2.0
50mm F1.2
135mm F2.5

What would you end up with in 35mm equivalent for APS-C?

42mm
75mm
202mm

The 202mm would be nice (and I enjoy using my 135/2.5 on my K-x), but 42mm and 75mm aren't exactly "sweet spot" focal lengths. Now, I guess the old K15 3.5 would be nice, but we already have a DA15 F4 which seems very highly regarded.

I guess I'm just having a hard time seeing the point. Is it that you want the DA * lenses but don't want the headache or price of SDM? Or do you want WR and a wider focus collar on the DA Limiteds? Or it's too much of a pain to use the Green button with the original lenses? Or they're too big and heavy? Or they don't have the coatings?

I guess maybe if I knew some examples other than the nice 28 F2 of optically unique Pentax designs that would outclass the current offerings, I could see the point.
06-09-2011, 09:17 AM   #28

Well, indeed size matters.
In de past we had the m-series.
Lately we had the Voigtlander SL ii series wich even supported FF by the way.
Now we don't have had Pentax brand MF lenses for a long time.
There are all sorts of series parrallel produced more or less at the same time, but no MF.
The re-releasing of old designs was just a suggestion to keep the prices low.
It would be better to focus on decent build, compact MF lenses for APS-c I think .
The advantage over the m series would be multi-pattern-metering and even smaller size,
along with modern lens design and coatings.
As a first lens in this series I would like to see a 28/2.0 or 30/2.0.
But that's becouse I already have VL's 20;40 and 58.
06-09-2011, 09:43 AM   #29
Veteran Member

By decent build, do you mean, "DA Limited without AF and with WR", or do you mean "DA without AF and with WR"?

Like, a reasonably priced WR version of the new 35mm f2.4, with a better focus ring? THAT I could get behind.

To make that viable, I think Pentax needs to release a high quality and inexpensive line of focusing screens for its camera lineup. To me, that's what keeps me from using MF more on my K-x. There's just a lot of things that want/need my $150 before a Katz-eye screen.

Last edited by Ryan Trevisol; 06-09-2011 at 09:49 AM.
06-09-2011, 10:25 AM   #30

By decent build I mean at least DA ltd.
Voigtlander SL ii or m-series build quality even better.
Good focusing screens would be more than welcome too, indeed.

The reason why most manufacturers exclusively focus on AF lenses is perhaps
that it would be possibly explained as implicid admitting that AF is not always better than MF.
They rather try to make AF work almost perfect. But for many photographers it will never be ideal. For me it is much easier to MF than to select a sensor of the detail I want to highlight,
and also try to remember to reset the setting. Using the central sensor and reframing is not
wat I want because that changes the plane of focus. Not even bringing up the fact that all lenses need to be calibrated to your body and if you buy a new body....
There are a lot of AF issues dicussed on this forum. My answer is 80% of the time: MF.
And thats why I need MF lenses. Why should that implicate only having to rely on old lenses?