Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
06-10-2011, 11:47 PM   #61
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by freewheeler Quote
DA40/2.8 $500 versus VL40/2.0 $409

DA*55/1.4 $800 versus VL58/1.4 $500

Yes, I call that reasonable prices for quality MF lenses.
I'd like Pentax to do that. But then again I own 3 VL's alleady.
I wanted the 125 and was waiting for the SLII version. Stopping production for K mount before releasing that lens was a big disappointment.

06-10-2011, 11:49 PM   #62
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by freewheeler Quote
DA40/2.8 $500 versus VL40/2.0 $409

DA*55/1.4 $800 versus VL58/1.4 $500

Yes, I call that reasonable prices for quality MF lenses.
I'd like Pentax to do that. But then again I own 3 VL's alleady.
In the U.S., the DA 40 ltd goes for about $350 and the DA* 55/1.4 $640.
06-10-2011, 11:52 PM   #63
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Laurentiu Cristofor Quote
You forget that the 90mm is an APO lens, and as a result it is not surprising it is more expensive than what its specs may indicate if you're just looking at focal length and aperture.

You win 1 point for participating!

Just to help you out, this is what I actually said:

I never said Voigtlander were cheap or budget, I just said that I can't see Pentax providing the same build quality at a cheaper price.

It is fine to disagree, but you should make sure first that you understand what you are disagreeing on.
I have never suggested a price for any of the hypothetical reproductions discussed herein. I do know that the batch of A 50/1.2 lenses the turned out last year sold for ~ $960 out of Japan and Hong Kong. You have just been argumentative about what you think Pentax can't do.

:Violin:
06-11-2011, 04:02 AM   #64
Loyal Site Supporter

I manually focus a lot. Even with all of my AF lenses. That being said I cannot see there being enough of a market for new MF lenses WR or not. I might buy one if the price was right and it was in a focal length I wanted, but I can't see enough people buying them to offset design/mfg costs. If you look at Ron's original poll, the second most popular lens is a 135mm f/2.0 ... very close to the popular K 135 f/2.5. The K lens isn't too hard to find, so why is there such a demand for the DA* version? I'd say that it's mostly the AF. Even on forums such as this one, where there are ppl like me, the desire for a new digital coated MF lens is lukewarm at best. In the general marketplace it would be DOA.

NaCl(there are many many more viable places to spend R&D money)H2O

06-12-2011, 12:16 AM   #65
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Blue Quote
No one has brought up "cheap" 135/2.8 lenses nor average lenses. However, the A* 135/1.8 mentioned earlier is a horse of another color. We have been mainly referring to the best, the Legends. K15, K28/2, A 50/1.2, A* 85/1.4 for example. Maybe even the K 8.4mm/2.8 Fisheye.
The OP post however did clearly state "budget" lenses and the term "reasonable". And I agree. Keeping them as cheap as possible would be the only way to get people to buy them.

If Pentax is going to put another "legend" on the market, then it's going to be so extremely expensive, that Pentax can just as well make it AF too. Not doing so would indicate that Pentax really doesn't understand the market.

Example, if I tend to use only short lenses, macro's, closeup's, wide angle etc, then I don't really need a very long, high quality tele. But that doesn't mean I don't want to experiment with it, or have such a long tele handy, just in case. A cheap, all plastic, manual lens would fill the hole very well.

I did that now too. Look in my signature. The good glass is concentrated in the area that I use a lot. But I've got a very cheap Vivitar 800mm f8 mirror lens, just for fun and experimentation. Just a pity I have to go to third party for that.
06-12-2011, 09:43 AM   #66
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Clavius Quote
The OP post however did clearly state "budget" lenses and the term "reasonable". And I agree. Keeping them as cheap as possible would be the only way to get people to buy them.

If Pentax is going to put another "legend" on the market, then it's going to be so extremely expensive, that Pentax can just as well make it AF too. Not doing so would indicate that Pentax really doesn't understand the market.

. . .
And no one that has responded has even implied there would be anything budget about re-issuing an updated legacy lens of interest. The recent batch of A 50/1.2 at ~$960 demonstrated that. Non made it to the U.S. or Europe unless it was order via Hong Kong or Tokyo. I don't know how many there were, but they sold them. The FA 50/1.4 and FA 35/2 were budget lenses and very good optically. However, when they stopped making them and started again, the prices on those doubled. The FA 20-35/4 did as well. At current new prices, all 3 of those FA should be in metal tubes.
06-12-2011, 09:52 AM   #67
Veteran Member

Does the screw drive AF really add that much to the cost? I highly doubt it would reduce the cost by much... maybe $10 or $20 only. In any case, most people who would go for the budget lenses would tend to be beginners. These beginners are likely not to be interested on manual focusing. Enthusiasts would be more likely to be interested in manual focusing, but they are likely to spend more than beginners.... so all in all I think this is unlikely to happen. Trading on better technology is also generally a better business strategy than trading on nostalgia.
06-12-2011, 10:33 AM   #68
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Verglace Quote
Does the screw drive AF really add that much to the cost? I highly doubt it would reduce the cost by much... maybe $10 or $20 only. In any case, most people who would go for the budget lenses would tend to be beginners. These beginners are likely not to be interested on manual focusing. Enthusiasts would be more likely to be interested in manual focusing, but they are likely to spend more than beginners.... so all in all I think this is unlikely to happen. Trading on better technology is also generally a better business strategy than trading on nostalgia.
The post was originally about mf lenses, but I agree that adding the screw-drive would be the way to go. They would sell af version of the A50/1.2 without a doubt. That said, Voightlander still sells mf lenses to the rangefinder crowd and Nikon crowd.

06-12-2011, 10:52 AM   #69
Veteran Member

Sorry, wasn't very clear, what I meant to say was that adding a screw drive to an mf lens (or the otherway around... removing the screw drive from a screw driven lens) would affect the cost by much more than $10-$20...

Voigtlander... they're one of those companies that can successfully trade on nostalgia. I doubt Pentax could pull off the same thing. But if they can, then good for them!
06-12-2011, 11:16 AM   #70
Veteran Member

Right - removing screwdrive from a lens design wouldn't save money but it would allow them to damp the focus movement properly. If I understand it correctly, the reason AF lenses, have mediocre, thin focus rings is because a big damped ring would burn out or strip the screwdrive.

Which means that adding screwdrive to an existing MF lens would likewise not be insignificant.
06-12-2011, 12:05 PM   #71
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Verglace Quote
Sorry, wasn't very clear, what I meant to say was that adding a screw drive to an mf lens (or the otherway around... removing the screw drive from a screw driven lens) would affect the cost by much more than $10-$20...

Voigtlander... they're one of those companies that can successfully trade on nostalgia. I doubt Pentax could pull off the same thing. But if they can, then good for them!
Actually, Pentax is a small company and could have a Nostalgia or 'Legacy' line. In fact, they have been trading on Nostalgia with their bodies using old lenses. Besides, it would be more risky for a small company to get into a situation of cranking out marginal (profit margin) lenses in high volume because then they end up on a tread meal. Its a balancing act.

QuoteOriginally posted by Ryan Trevisol Quote
Right - removing screwdrive from a lens design wouldn't save money but it would allow them to damp the focus movement properly. If I understand it correctly, the reason AF lenses, have mediocre, thin focus rings is because a big damped ring would burn out or strip the screwdrive.

Which means that adding screwdrive to an existing MF lens would likewise not be insignificant.
MF with the FA ltd lenses isn't bad and with some of the DA ltd is decent.
06-12-2011, 01:25 PM   #72
Veteran Member

Unfortunately I haven't had the pleasure of using those so I'll have to take your word for it.

As much as I think it'll never happen, I'd love to see a legacy line of lenses . . . reissues. But what I'd love to see accompany it is a DSLR that has the form factor, controls, and looks of an MX.
06-13-2011, 08:17 PM   #73
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Blue Quote
You have just been argumentative about what you think Pentax can't do.
And to close the loop:

QuoteOriginally posted by Laurentiu Cristofor Quote
One can always dream, but this doesn't make much sense. There are other things that Pentax could manufacture and sell more of. Manual lenses are really a niche market and I'm not sure how Pentax could provide same quality cheaper than the Cosina Z/V series (thus selling more) or how they could beat the offers from Samyang (I don't expect you can beat Samyang on price).

How about a set of SDM extension rings? That should be easy for a start.

Or a DA 55-300 WR - most people would get that, I'm sure.
06-13-2011, 08:38 PM   #74
Site Supporter

No one is suggesting Pentax sacrifice their main assembly line production. However, all lens makers have historically had some "cream" in kitchen. Canon probably only sells a certain percentage of L lenses on an annual bases relative to their overall size. They still have the in their catalog. The LTD lines and the DA* lines are the current cream. However, the only recent DA ltd was the 15mm and it was in the drawing room well before the merger with Hoya. The only DA* recently was the 60-250/4. Lenses like the DA 35/2.4 AL and DA 18-135mm WR are interesting but are ultimately at the entry level and the later is a bit overpriced.

A recent Pentax motto was "Dare to be Different." I guess the next one is going to "Dare to be Plastic."
06-13-2011, 08:40 PM   #75
Site Supporter

I have reconsidered my line of thinking though and would like to see Pentax put out the "Lost Children." Asahi had prototypes of lenses like

M 18/2
M 20/2
M 35/1.4
M 20/1.4

Lets have those in manual focus with A contacts and Ghostless Coating.

Edit:

http://www.marcocavina.com/articoli_fotografici/Pentax_35_1,4_M/00_pag.htm

http://www.marcocavina.com/articoli_fotografici/Pentax_20_1,4_M/00_pag.htm

http://www.marcocavina.com/articoli_fotografici/Pentax_18mm_f2_20mm_f2/00_pag.htm

Last edited by Blue; 06-13-2011 at 08:55 PM.