Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
06-09-2011, 05:27 PM   #46
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Blue Quote
Actually, the seeming cranked out a batch of A 50mm/1.2 from thin air. 980.
This is an old lens long paid for. It is also from the days before just-in-time parts delivery. Pentax had huge stocks of this lens and it took them a decade or more to clear it. The newer batches are probably from assembling from existing parts bin.

06-09-2011, 05:36 PM   #47
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Pål Jensen Quote
Your cost estimates are totally unrealistic. Keep a watch for the prices for the old 645 FA lenses when the are getting reintroduced..and the new coming ones. Most of them will be priced between $3000 - $5000 (except for the 75mm). Many of the classic A* lenses were more expensive when in production. The 645 lenses are example of lenses sold in relatively small volumes. New manual focus lenses will sell less. As I said; Hirakawa said that the A* 135/1.8 would cost $1600 in the late 90's. He also said that the AF lenses were cheaper to manufacture.
Here YOU go again. 3stooges
I didn't make any cost estimates. Secondly, we already clarified that those A* fast lenses above 100mm are huge which is indicative of high prices in and of itself. Lastly, I never new and engineer that new their arse from a hot rock when it came to actually running production assembly lines. We aren't talking about 645 or 6x7 lenses either. The K 28/2 would be a relatively expensive lens regardless so what. It and the Zeiss Distagon were designed together. The A 50/1.2 has already shown the people will buy new stock of it and that is the 1st lenses that RonHendriks1966 and discussed. The third one I suggested was the A* 85/1.4.

This is an old lens long paid for. It is also from the days before just-in-time parts delivery. Pentax had huge stocks of this lens and it took them a decade or more to clear it. The newer batches are probably from assembling from existing parts bin.
If you go back and look at my posts on the subject, you will see that I stated that as a possibility. Apparently you and Laurentiu Cristofor think that pentax should just keep given us warmed over DA 35 f2.4 plastibody lenses and be done with it. I don't run Pentax bodies to use Tammy af Zooms or Sigma lenses. Its the Pentax and Asahi Glass.
06-10-2011, 12:12 AM   #48
Banned

Apparently you and Laurentiu Cristofor think that pentax should just keep given us warmed over DA 35 f2.4 plastibody lenses and be done with it. I don't run Pentax bodies to use Tammy af Zooms or Sigma lenses. Its the Pentax and Asahi Glass.
Oh boy, this is what happens when you inhale too much fungus that grew on the surface of thoriated lens elements...
06-10-2011, 01:56 AM   #49
Banned

Photos: Gallery
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Laurentiu Cristofor Quote
Oh boy, this is what happens when you inhale too much fungus that grew on the surface of thoriated lens elements...
This one is actually very funny

But I do agree with Blue that I want Pentax glass on my camera. I'm different in that way that I don't run on old glass. So why I thought up of a new lens (DA*135-270mm/f2.8) to fitt my bill (and probably some others) and noth having to buy a Sigma lens in future.

Then again all of these, wheater it is new DA*, DA-L or DM, have to be designed, produced and sold and make on long run (starting a lens costs money and you earn that back over a time and calculated number of lenssales) for HOYA a return on investment. Keeping that in mind will make room for some new lenses, but for everything we would want. Making choices of what we want/ask is important in that matter.

06-10-2011, 03:28 AM   #50
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by RonHendriks1966 Quote
Then again all of these, wheater it is new DA*, DA-L or DM, have to be designed, produced and sold and make on long run (starting a lens costs money and you earn that back over a time and calculated number of lenssales) for HOYA a return on investment. Keeping that in mind will make room for some new lenses, but for everything we would want. Making choices of what we want/ask is important in that matter.
My impression is not that people want choice; it is that people want all kinds of exotic lenses but for for "free". When Pentax do release a cheap, optically good lens, then they complain that it isn't built like a tank. And when it is built like a thank they complain that it cost more than a Sigma lens...

Last edited by Pål Jensen; 06-10-2011 at 03:34 AM.
06-10-2011, 04:20 AM   #51

My impression is not that people want choice; it is that people want all kinds of exotic lenses but for for "free". When Pentax do release a cheap, optically good lens, then they complain that it isn't built like a tank. And when it is built like a thank they complain that it cost more than a Sigma lens...
Nobody is asking in this thread for cheap MF lenses.
Just not zeiss price and bulkiness.
And yes, it is about choices.
To chose between AF and MF,
between plastic and metal.
The question is wether or not there is a market for modern MF lenses.
Voigtlander produced lenses of around 500$ for PKA but doesn't anymore.
Good quality, reasonable price.
Could and would Pentax do that also is the question.
And more importantly: is there enough demand for it to justify such a lens line?
06-10-2011, 06:36 AM   #52
Site Supporter

Except my 8-element version of the Super Tak 50/1.4 doesn't have thoriated elements nor does my 2 versions of the first 28mm Super Tak. IO do have an S-M-C 50/1.4 but it stays in the gun safe on the Spot F next to the 1911A1.

Last edited by Blue; 06-10-2011 at 06:42 AM.
06-10-2011, 07:43 AM   #53
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
I don't think I would ever invest in such a DM-WR lens. Not as long as there is old manual glass on the market. Especially the cheap Russian glass. Ok, it's not weather sealed, but I really don't care, because the lenses are old anyway.

You can get 135mm f2.8 for peanuts. (Jupiter, Tair, etc..) My Jupiter 11 was 15 USD. I honestly don't care if it gets wet. Why would I buy a new DM 135 f2.8 WR for the 20x of that price?
06-10-2011, 08:13 AM   #54
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Clavius Quote
I don't think I would ever invest in such a DM-WR lens. Not as long as there is old manual glass on the market. Especially the cheap Russian glass. Ok, it's not weather sealed, but I really don't care, because the lenses are old anyway.

You can get 135mm f2.8 for peanuts. (Jupiter, Tair, etc..) My Jupiter 11 was 15 USD. I honestly don't care if it gets wet. Why would I buy a new DM 135 f2.8 WR for the 20x of that price?
No one has brought up "cheap" 135/2.8 lenses nor average lenses. However, the A* 135/1.8 mentioned earlier is a horse of another color. We have been mainly referring to the best, the Legends. K15, K28/2, A 50/1.2, A* 85/1.4 for example. Maybe even the K 8.4mm/2.8 Fisheye.
06-10-2011, 09:53 PM   #55
Banned

QuoteOriginally posted by freewheeler Quote
Nobody is asking in this thread for cheap MF lenses.
Nobody asks for cheap lenses, just for budget lenses:

I was just pointing out that the Cosina/Voightlander lenses aren't a budget option . . . well maybe compared to the Zeiss line they are.
QuoteOriginally posted by freewheeler Quote
Voigtlander produced lenses of around 500$ for PKA but doesn't anymore.
Good quality, reasonable price.
Some argue the prices were ridiculous:

The reason Cosina can get the ridiculous prices for their lenses is that Pentax isn't producing many mf lenses anymore.
Go figure this stuff out.
06-10-2011, 10:05 PM   #56
Site Supporter

Nobody asks for cheap lenses, just for budget lenses:

Some argue the prices were ridiculous:

Go figure this stuff out.
You go figure out what you are talking about. You have demonstrated you can cut and paste. However, where did I request a budget lens? You were implying that Cosina was a budget alternative

Existing New Voightlander PKA stock:

pentax voigtlander - Adorama.com

Steve Gandy has some as well including the 58/1.4.

http://www.cameraquest.com/Voigt_SL2.htm

However, the $599 of the 90mm is closing in on the price of an FA 77 ltd and more than a DA 70 ltd and it is slower than both but it does have that cool close focus accy lens.

I like Voightlander lenses but don't be telling me they were/are a cheap option.

Last edited by Blue; 06-10-2011 at 10:24 PM.
06-10-2011, 11:06 PM   #57
Banned

You go figure out what you are talking about. You have demonstrated you can cut and paste. However, where did I request a budget lens? You were implying that Cosina was a budget alternative
I guess it's time for you to show that you can read, understand, cut and paste, and quote. I'll be looking forward to your effort.
06-10-2011, 11:08 PM   #58
Site Supporter

I guess it's time for you to show that you can read, understand, cut and paste, and quote. I'll be looking forward to your effort.
rabbit
06-10-2011, 11:20 PM   #59

DA40/2.8 $500 versus VL40/2.0 $409

DA*55/1.4 $800 versus VL58/1.4 $500

Yes, I call that reasonable prices for quality MF lenses.
I'd like Pentax to do that. But then again I own 3 VL's alleady.

Last edited by freewheeler; 06-10-2011 at 11:35 PM.
06-10-2011, 11:24 PM   #60
Banned

However, the $599 of the 90mm is closing in on the price of an FA 77 ltd and more than a DA 70 ltd and it is slower than both but it does have that cool close focus accy lens.
You forget that the 90mm is an APO lens, and as a result it is not surprising it is more expensive than what its specs may indicate if you're just looking at focal length and aperture.

:rabbit:
You win 1 point for participating!

Just to help you out, this is what I actually said:

I'm not sure how Pentax could provide same quality cheaper than the Cosina Z/V series (thus selling more)
I never said Voigtlander were cheap or budget, I just said that I can't see Pentax providing the same build quality at a cheaper price.

It is fine to disagree, but you should make sure first that you understand what you are disagreeing on.