Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
11-10-2007, 08:04 PM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
2/3 of my way to a complete FA Limited collection...

Thanks to our very own Marketplace, I am now the proud owner of an FA 43/1.9, a lens I have been lusting after since I got an FA 31 earlier this year. 'Cause once you go Limited, there's no going back.

I took it out for a quick spin this afternoon, under the blandest shooting conditions imaginable: mid-afternoon on a rainless overcast day. But man, how does it do it??? Great contrast, highlights, shadows -- it's almost like it creates its own light!

Here's a quick snap. Not bad for crappy, flat light. 1/250 @ f/2.8, ISO 200:

11-10-2007, 08:14 PM   #2
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Hmm...looked a lot less flat before I uploaded it to Flickr. Must be a color space thing. Or maybe a Mac thing...
11-10-2007, 11:04 PM   #3
Veteran Member

This does not look flat. A beautiful image in deed!

This lens works the best in cool colour temperature especially at dawn or overcast sky.

I tend to use it around f2.2 to f4.5 as much as possible. I never manage to produce any decent shots in almost dark situations regardless whether the camera is placed on tripods or not .

So you are chasing Fa 77 ltd soon?

I have one problem with this lens: It is too sharp! If you call it a protrait lens, I have difficulty to weed out people's wrinkles and skin follicles on photoshop. After all, the images still look different from shots produced by competition brands. The over all look and feel from Fa 77 ltd is just simply different.

Regards

James
11-10-2007, 11:46 PM   #4
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Hi Finn, can't but agree with you. I am the recent proud owner of a 43 and 77 ltd. I still look at the screen and shake my head re IQ etc. Dithering about the 31 in 2008 versus the 35 f2 which tests in the same ballpark and costs about a thrid of the 31 ltd.

Oh well that is next years' problem.

Enjoy the LTDs

David

PS Have a go at reversing them, the results are stunning.

11-12-2007, 02:45 PM   #5
TKH
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Finn Quote
Thanks to our very own Marketplace, I am now the proud owner of an FA 43/1.9, a lens I have been lusting after since I got an FA 31 earlier this year. 'Cause once you go Limited, there's no going back.
Great pic!

Just a question. I own the good DA21 and the two fantastic FA31 and FA77. Do you really think I need a 43????

Rainer
11-12-2007, 06:26 PM   #6
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by TKH Quote
Great pic!

Just a question. I own the good DA21 and the two fantastic FA31 and FA77. Do you really think I need a 43????

Rainer
Thanks!

Actually, I traded a DA21 for the FA43, because I really wanted a faster lens for taking photos indoors. I actually really like 43mm on digital -- not quite as long as the FA50, which I found a little too long for indoor portraits in tight spaces (like my tiny house). It has a very different angle of view than the 31, which is my go-to lens about 75% of the time. I love the 31 so much that it already has some serious brassing (or aluminum-ing) on the aperture ring, but I don't care because I know I'll never sell it. But the 43 seems really different to me. It is also a lot smaller (almost the exact same size as the DA21)

Now I wish there was an FA limited in the 15-20mm range. It annoyed me that I couldn't use the DA21 on a film body. Ah well, a guy can dream, can't he?