Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 3 Likes Search this Thread
06-09-2011, 06:02 PM - 1 Like   #16
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by napawino Quote
The quick shift is a pretty nice feature to have for macro shots.
Agreed. I used quick shift a lot for the shots below (all taken with the 100WR). I used AF for all of them, but manually focusing close with the quick-shift focusing before locking on with the AF.

(cross posted here)

06-09-2011, 06:05 PM   #17

Photos: Gallery
Super sweet photos! I rarely see butterflies around my place.
06-09-2011, 07:16 PM   #18
JHD
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by dgaies Quote
Ok, I understand the argument about the longer warranty when it comes to comparing SDM and HSM lenses, but when is the last time you heard of a lens like the 100WR failing and needing warranty service?
Never say never. Insurance always makes sense.
06-09-2011, 07:24 PM   #19
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by JHD Quote
Insurance only makes sense if the cost is proportional to the risk it is insuring.

If one feels there is very little risk of a particular lens failing, then the value associated warranty is low quite low. By contrast, if the risk of a particular lens is very high, then the value associated warranty is would also be quite high. So in the case of the Tamron 90 vs 100WR, I would say the difference in the value of the extra warranty is low. In the case of the DA*50-135 vs the Sigma 50-150, I would attribute a much higher value to the difference in warranty lengths. Again, just my $0.02.

06-09-2011, 08:43 PM   #20
Pentaxian

If you check out the photozone tests of the two lenses, the Tamron has an MTF advantage at all apertures, especially wide open and at f22. Given the price difference, that would steer me toward the Tamron.
06-09-2011, 09:08 PM   #21
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by civiletti Quote
If you check out the photozone tests of the two lenses, the Tamron has an MTF advantage at all apertures, especially wide open and at f22. Given the price difference, that would steer me toward the Tamron.
Photozone didn't test the WR version yet and when/if they do it will be on the K-5. The didn't test the Sigma 105 EX DG either.
06-09-2011, 09:12 PM   #22
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by dgaies Quote
Agreed. I used quick shift a lot for the shots below (all taken with the 100WR). I used AF for all of them, but manually focusing close with the quick-shift focusing before locking on with the AF.

(cross posted here)

Nice!

06-09-2011, 10:18 PM   #23
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Blue Quote
Photozone didn't test the WR version yet and when/if they do it will be on the K-5. The didn't test the Sigma 105 EX DG either.
The WR version is the same optical design as its predecessor. The Tamron would yield better numbers on the k-5, to the same extent the Pentax would.
06-09-2011, 10:52 PM   #24
Veteran Member

according to lenstip, the DA 100/2,8 WR is the same (or even better in some areas like light fall-off) than Canon 100/2,8L macro
Pentax smc D FA 100 mm f/2.8 Macro WR review - Image resolution - Lenstip.com

and the Tamron 90/2,8 is praised except for the performance wide open...http://www.lenstip.com/22.4-Lens_review-Tamron_SP_AF_90_mm_f_2.8_Di_Macro_Image_resolution.html

You know, they always test one lens+one body only

Last edited by stanic; 06-10-2011 at 12:20 AM.
06-10-2011, 12:43 AM   #25

Original Poster
does "Focus limiter" really matter with Portrait?

My friend told me that without "Focus limiter" I may experience in focus for portrait. is that true?

Many thanks,

Lee
06-10-2011, 01:04 AM   #26
Veteran Member

Canon makes many great lenses, but from what I've seen in the recent past 100mm macro is a weak spot for them. I think any of the past few generations of Pentax 100mm macros are probably better.

As the photos in this post show, Tamron 90 images are impressive, but Pentax 100 WR images are beautiful.
06-10-2011, 01:11 AM   #27
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by DSims Quote
As the photos in this post show, Tamron 90 images are impressive, but Pentax 100 WR images are beautiful.
agreed, the pentax`s bokeh is from another world
(of course we would have to shoot the same scene to make a direct comparison)
06-10-2011, 04:29 AM   #28
JHD
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by JHD Quote
Talk about timing... https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/pentax-slr-lens-discussion/147002-d-fa-10...s-problem.html
06-10-2011, 06:04 AM   #29
Veteran Member

Well, let's keep things in perspective. The OP of that thread may or may not have an issue with his 100WR as it's not clear from reading the thread whether or not he actually has an issue or not. That said, let's assume for the moment that there is an issue with his 100WR that requires warranty service. If this was a QC/manufacturing defect than it would be covered even under Pentax's (short) warranty coverage (1 year in the US, 2 years in Canada).

So the question becomes what are the chances of an issue coming up on a 100WR lens during year 3-10 (in Canada) or year 2-6 (in the US). The actual numbers aren't known, but as I said in a previous post, I believe the chances are fairly small with lenses like the Tamron 90 and 100WR. Let's say 1 in 100. Let's also assume that a out-of-warranty repair would average $200. So the "value" of the extra warranty period is worth somewhere around $2 in terms of expected value, statistically speaking.

Contrast that to an SDM vs HSM warranty situation, which you are quite fond of pointing out. In this case, let's say the chances of an SDM failure during the difference in warranty periods is 10 out of 100. Using the same repair cost, that would place the value of the value of the extended warranty in this case is $20. Now, I'm sure you'd contend that the probabilty of an SDM failure during the extended 5+ years is substantially greater than 10%. So let's go with a number like 50% and a repair cost of closer $250. Now the extended warranty period is worth closer to $125. In this case it might become a factor when comparing two lenses (unlike the above case comparing two screw-driven lenses where I believe the value of the warranty period beyond the first year is somewhat insignificant).

edit: So to the OP, if you do decide to buy the 100WR, I would personally buy the gray market copy over the more expensive copy at a savings of $190, so long as you still have a return window should the lens prove to be defective upon delivery. This is the same reason/logic I use to justify only buying used lenses. The cost savings is substantially more than I would ever spend on repairs for lenses than seldom need service. Even when it comes to lenses which have a higher probability of failing (like SDM lenses), the cost savings is almost always higher than what you take on in terms of risk.

Last edited by dgaies; 06-10-2011 at 06:11 AM.
06-10-2011, 06:29 AM   #30
Site Supporter

The WR version is the same optical design as its predecessor. The Tamron would yield better numbers on the k-5, to the same extent the Pentax would.

Yeah I am aware of that, but what you are overlooking is that the aperture mechanism was completely redesigned with rounded blades. It also has the SP on the front element as well as the weather seals and a metal barrel. IT is also ever so small and lighter than the already small earlier version. The only downside is it lacks an aperture ring.