Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
11-10-2007, 08:31 PM   #1

Photos: Gallery
What lens is this?

35-70mm F2.8 AF AND MANUAL FOCUS PENTAX SMC ZOOM LENS - (eBay item 280169964646 end time Nov-11-07 05:55:18 PST)

This lens is listed on ebay as both a manual and auto focus lens. The discription says it converts manual focus to auto focus. Can anyone tell me about this system? Is it worth it? Thank you in advance for your help.

CharlieO

11-10-2007, 08:48 PM   #2
Veteran Member

35-70mm f/2.8 a/f

QuoteOriginally posted by CharlieO Quote
35-70mm F2.8 AF AND MANUAL FOCUS PENTAX SMC ZOOM LENS - (eBay item 280169964646 end time Nov-11-07 05:55:18 PST)

This lens is listed on ebay as both a manual and auto focus lens. The discription says it converts manual focus to auto focus. Can anyone tell me about this system? Is it worth it? Thank you in advance for your help.

CharlieO
I'd leave it alone Charlie, I think it only autofocuses with the ME-F body. but I may be wrong???????
Wal'
11-10-2007, 08:55 PM   #3
Veteran Member

That is KF mount lens from 1981. Intended to work with (at that time) new autofocus camera system. However the only camera ever made for KF mount was ME F. Pentax later abandoned KF mount and never made more KF lenses or bodies. Redesigned AF system mount is KAF (and variations) that we use today.

Bottom line: auto focus with AF35-70/2.8 will not work with modern bodies. For all practical purposes this lens is equivalent to manual focus/manual aperture 35-70mm zoom.
11-10-2007, 08:59 PM   #4
Veteran Member

I think this lens needs batteries to focus by itself - auto focus. You can turn it on or off. Without batteries it is a manual focus lens. I don't have this lens so I could be wrong.

One was sold on eBay not long ago and, from my memory it was less than $50. But you never know, someone may just buy it for fun.

11-10-2007, 09:11 PM   #5
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by ddhytz Quote
I think this lens needs batteries to focus by itself - auto focus. You can turn it on or off. Without batteries it is a manual focus lens.
Correct. However it needs ME F body or the AF feature is useless and according to reports manual focusing is not good. Also, since the lens is not stellar performer optically, the only real value of this lens is that it is THE FIRST EVER autofocus lens on a 35mm SLR system! So if you are not planning on opening a museum of camera/photography "firsts" skip this lens.
11-11-2007, 08:31 AM   #6

Photos: Gallery
Original Poster
Thank you everyone

Thank you for the responses. I kind of figured there was something pretty unique about that lens. I do appreciate the advice and information.

CharlieO