Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
06-09-2011, 02:55 PM   #16
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by jolepp Quote
A budget macro lens would be the Cosina 100mm 1:3.5. Plasticky but optically very decent. This has been sold as Cosina, Phoenix, Promaster and even Pentax; turns up on ebay every once in a blue moon (~$100-150).

Cosina 100mm F1:3,5 MC Makro Lens Reviews - Fixed Focal Lengths - Pentax Third-Party Lens Review Database

Cosina AF 100mm f/3.5 macro (Pentax) - Review / Lab Test Report
Cool, jolepp! Thank you. That looks like a real possibility. I don't mind the cheap build if the IQ is that good.

06-09-2011, 09:57 PM - 1 Like   #17
Veteran Member

My three cents (inflation): The advantage of an A-type or AF camera macro lens is, easier use of flash. If you intend to use flash, spend the money. Or just stick with the Raynox on an A-type or AF non-macro. All my camera macro lenses are totally manual, so with my (cheap eBay) ringlight and other flashes I use an A-type or AF non-macro lens on A-type extension (de-glassed TC's), or with a Raynox.

If you DON'T need flash support, then the options are:

* Totally-manual camera macro lens, as suggested above. Handy, cheaper than an AF camera macro lens, still usually not cheap. (But I got lucky with mine, heh heh.)

* Various combinations of cheap extension (tubes and/or bellows) and lenses, maybe reversed. These are much discussed on other threads, so I won't blather on now.

* My fave: Cheap (but good) enlarger lenses on cheap extension. Edge-to-edge flatfield sharpness for a pittance; some EL's are literally four for a dime. EL's longer than 80mm can reach infinity focus on all my M42 and PK bellows and so are good for non-macro shooting too.

Yes, camera macro lenses (and EL's) DO resolve and render differently than non-macro lenses, with or without a Raynox. No, the differences may not be noticeable at a casual glance. Alas, some such lenses only perform well with close subjects, not distant ones. Yes, it is good to have various macro options; and some of those options cost very little. Yes, I'm a cheap bastard, so I like cheap macro.
06-10-2011, 04:54 AM   #18
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Thanks for the great info, RioRico! Definitely will keep in mind as I move along. I do want to use flash, and your info is really helpful.

I don't think I want to mess with bellows/tubes/reversing. At least not yet. Being a beginner, I have so many interests and am so overwhelmed with possibilities that I haven't really settled into a particular focus yet (pardon the pun). I do like to dabble with macro images and if I could find a good "inexpensive" macro lens option, I'd jump on it.

The focusing rails mentioned earlier are really cool. I've had my tripod out before and wondered what do people do when the subject moves - just pick the whole thing up and move it? LOL! Might have to get a set.
06-10-2011, 09:10 AM   #19
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by loco Quote
I do want to use flash...
Then the simplest option is to stick with the Raynox. For more magnification, the cheapest option is to get some (1-3) used A-type TC's on eBay, probably about US$20 each, and remove the glass. Or look for a set of A-type macro tubes, but those are more rare and costly. A-type extension (with aperture-control contact pins) won't have AF, but that's usually pretty useless in macro shooting anyway. ANY macro setup will have monstrously thin DOF, as you found with your Raynox. That's just how it goes.

06-10-2011, 12:36 PM   #20
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Thanks, RioRico. Sounds like that would be an inexpensive option.

It seems like the Raynox is a more than adequate option for a beginner like me to at least explore macro. And once I really find whatever inadequacies there are, I can decide if they bug me enough to spend more money on lenses and such.