Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home
 

View Poll Results: Wich DA-L lens to develop next?
DA-L 18mm/f4 713.73%
DA-L 60mm/f2.8 917.65%
DA-L 90mm/f2.8 917.65%
DA-L 70mm/f4 1:2 macro 1019.61%
My new idea for a DA-L lens is.... 917.65%
Stop developing new DA-L lenses. 2039.22%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 51. You may not vote on this poll

Reply
Show Printable Version Search this Thread
06-17-2011, 04:58 AM   #16
Site Supporter
loco's Avatar

Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Virginia
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 2,841
Personally, I'd love a "cheap" ultra wide option. Those lenses are just so expensive and I really really want one. But just can't afford it. Maybe a DA L 14 or 15? Or a zoom? I don't know.

I like the DA L 70 macro idea!

06-17-2011, 08:10 AM   #17
Moderator
Site Supporter
Blue's Avatar

Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Florida Hill Country
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 17,210
QuoteOriginally posted by paperbag846 Quote
They could do this. My hope is that they would leave the FA 50 alone. I have a feeling that they cannot afford to sell the FA 50 at bargain bin prices any more, which is why I suggested the DA L 55.

They could also do the 50mm f.17 in a DA L form... but why not just run with the K55, which has a better fov on digital anyway (it's also better spaced from the 35mm).
The FA 50/1.4 is currently selling new for $359.95. up from $199 less than 3 years ago.
06-17-2011, 09:05 AM   #18
Pentaxian
RonHendriks1966's Avatar

Join Date: Jan 2009
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 8,714
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Blue Quote
The FA 50/1.4 is currently selling new for $359.95. up from $199 less than 3 years ago.
Or making it a new DA-L 50mm/f2 wich will be cheap to make and sell in the pricerange for this lensseries. The FA50mm/f1.4 is way to expensive.
06-17-2011, 10:39 AM   #19
Veteran Member
paperbag846's Avatar

Join Date: Jul 2010
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 2,396
QuoteOriginally posted by RonHendriks1966 Quote
Or making it a new DA-L 50mm/f2 wich will be cheap to make and sell in the pricerange for this lensseries. The FA50mm/f1.4 is way to expensive.
I suppose, but we should have an f1.4 lens available that isn't weather sealed.

I would have bought the DA *55 yesterday if it wasnt bulky and overpriced due to SDM and weather sealing.

06-17-2011, 01:09 PM   #20
Pentaxian




Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: New York
Posts: 3,248
QuoteOriginally posted by RonHendriks1966 Quote
... Strange US system, so I'm glad you bring up the DA14 wich I have. It's stated for $ 949,95 at Adorama, but when you put it in your card it costs only $ 699 So what is the story on that? ...
Many manufacturers including Pentax impose a Minimum Advertised Price (MAP, Resale price maintenance - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia) on their dealers. Adorama can sell the item for less when you click to put it in your cart but they can't "advertise" the price. B&H does something similar to show prices on their website.
06-17-2011, 01:25 PM   #21
Pentaxian
RonHendriks1966's Avatar

Join Date: Jan 2009
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 8,714
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by DeadJohn Quote
Many manufacturers including Pentax impose a Minimum Advertised Price (MAP, Resale price maintenance - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia) on their dealers. Adorama can sell the item for less when you click to put it in your cart but they can't "advertise" the price. B&H does something similar to show prices on their website.
Thanks, never seen this in The Netherlands. A shop who would do this overhere would have zero customours at their doorstep.
06-17-2011, 01:28 PM   #22
Veteran Member
KxBlaze's Avatar

Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: California
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 1,594
Why are people voting to stop developing L series lenses? I'm poor and cannot afford ltds, *s or even good DAs so L series are perfect for me. Shame on you guys.
06-17-2011, 01:35 PM   #23
Pentaxian
RonHendriks1966's Avatar

Join Date: Jan 2009
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 8,714
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by KxBlaze Quote
Why are people voting to stop developing L series lenses? I'm poor and cannot afford ltds, *s or even good DAs so L series are perfect for me. Shame on you guys.
I have no idea, maybe for thinking that it will interfere developing expensive lenses maybe?

On my wishlist I will put a DA-L 70mm/f4 1:2 Macro lens for a good and cheap price.

06-17-2011, 01:40 PM   #24
Veteran Member
ihasa's Avatar

Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: West Midlands
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 2,054
I vote for the 18mm f4 because small pocketable wides are like hen's teeth. The other focal lengths are easy to cover cheaply.

Re cost, I can't understand how they can make such a cheap 18-55 zoom but couldn't make a slower simpler prime lens more cheaply. S'pose it'd be an economy of scale thing?
06-17-2011, 01:52 PM   #25
Veteran Member




Join Date: Aug 2009
Posts: 2,311
I feel DA-L are the wildcards they pull out when the cameras are being released. There is no great plan to this. It all makes sence. 18-55 and 55-300 to appeal the masses, and the 35 is an easy and useable FL on an APS-C, again.... easy to sell. All of them released with the entry level cameras. Its a fast R&D call, making the decisions late, pull out old designs, put them in cheap bodys. Its smart and it sells. Next DA-L will have a macro designation or just maybe the FA 50 will have a rebirth as DA-L 50 1,8

Last edited by the swede; 06-17-2011 at 01:59 PM.
06-17-2011, 04:23 PM   #26
Veteran Member
KxBlaze's Avatar

Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: California
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 1,594
QuoteOriginally posted by RonHendriks1966 Quote
I have no idea, maybe for thinking that it will interfere developing expensive lenses maybe?

On my wishlist I will put a DA-L 70mm/f4 1:2 Macro lens for a good and cheap price.
Still, shame on them for thinking of only themselves.

the 70mm was the one I voted for too. I do not have that prime focal length nor do I have a true dedicated macro lens. Although it would obviously be nice for it to be 1:1 but that is even more wishful thinking.
06-17-2011, 05:46 PM   #27
Moderator
Site Supporter
Blue's Avatar

Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Florida Hill Country
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 17,210
QuoteOriginally posted by KxBlaze Quote
Still, shame on them for thinking of only themselves.

the 70mm was the one I voted for too. I do not have that prime focal length nor do I have a true dedicated macro lens. Although it would obviously be nice for it to be 1:1 but that is even more wishful thinking.
That cuts both direction guys. I am not wanting expensive lenses, but very good ones, well made ones. You are probably young in 15 to 20 years you will figure it out.

Edit: I don't figure on these things strictly from my perspective. For example, I couldn't afford the FA* 600/4 that was taken out of the catalog 2 years ago. However, I thought that was very stupid of the Hoya boys given those were essentially special order items that cost ~ $8500 each.

Edit Edit: Furthermore, the DA 35/2.4 AL isn't technically an L lens even though it has the plasti-mount. That said, I think it would be good to have 2 or 3, maybe 4 primes in the catalog, in addition to the aforementioned items.
06-22-2011, 08:19 AM   #28
Adorama Camera Representative
Helen Oster's Avatar

Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: New York
Posts: 548
QuoteOriginally posted by RonHendriks1966 Quote
Thanks, never seen this in The Netherlands. A shop who would do this overhere would have zero customours at their doorstep.
It isn't the choice of the individual retailers, I can promise you!

But if we were to go against any manufacturer's MAP we'd almost certainly lose our authorized retailer status.
06-22-2011, 10:01 AM   #29
Veteran Member
KxBlaze's Avatar

Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: California
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 1,594
QuoteOriginally posted by Blue Quote
That cuts both direction guys. I am not wanting expensive lenses, but very good ones, well made ones. You are probably young in 15 to 20 years you will figure it out.
I don't get it, figure what out? The 55-300 DAL is optically just as good as the DA version but is 1/2 the price. The 35mm while not technically an L version, basically is and is miles cheaper than the DA ltd. I don't think it's too much to ask for a 70mm DAL 1:2 macro for around $250-$300. And I also don't understand what my age has to do with it? Are you saying that everyone my age is immature or doesn't understand the economics of photography lenses because to be completely honest with you I found your comment to be a little degrading and judgmental. I do not know if you meant it in that fashion but that is how it came across to me.
06-22-2011, 10:29 AM   #30
Moderator
Site Supporter
Blue's Avatar

Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Florida Hill Country
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 17,210
QuoteOriginally posted by KxBlaze Quote
I don't get it, figure what out? The 55-300 DAL is optically just as good as the DA version but is 1/2 the price. The 35mm while not technically an L version, basically is and is miles cheaper than the DA ltd. I don't think it's too much to ask for a 70mm DAL 1:2 macro for around $250-$300. And I also don't understand what my age has to do with it? Are you saying that everyone my age is immature or doesn't understand the economics of photography lenses because to be completely honest with you I found your comment to be a little degrading and judgmental. I do not know if you meant it in that fashion but that is how it came across to me.
The comment had to do with fact that I by lenses with consideration of how well the feel and hold up since I tend to keep the ones I like for decades. The DA L version of the 55-300 also comes without the hood. When you buy the OEM hood, that is close to the difference in the Price of the regular version and the plastic mount version when both are purchased new. In addition to that, it gives up quick-shift!!!

As far as you "degrading and judgmental" comment, that's your personal problem. You were pretty damn snide with your "shame on them" comment when you were being a bit self centered with your own opinions about your "wants" from Pentax. For example, I don't particularly plan to by the DA 35/2.4 AL unless I get it bundled with something. However, I think it is a good lens for Pentax to keep in the line-up. My opinions in these threads of this type have to do with the overall lineup and not just what interests me because good well thought out lineup will help Pentax be sustainable into the future.

Last edited by Blue; 06-25-2011 at 01:43 PM.
Reply

Bookmarks
  • Submit Thread to Facebook Facebook
  • Submit Thread to Twitter Twitter
  • Submit Thread to Digg Digg
Tags - Make this thread easier to find by adding keywords to it!
da-l, idea, k-mount, lens, lenses, lensline, list, macro, pentax lens, poll, slr lens, wich
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Plastic wars jeffkrol General Talk 19 03-05-2011 09:56 AM
DA* 55mm f1.4... plastic? sjwaldron Pentax SLR Lens Discussion 36 02-21-2011 04:57 PM
Misc Plastic humanity causey Post Your Photos! 13 01-07-2010 08:43 PM
Has the new plastic 55-300 the same IQ than the old one? juanraortiz Pentax SLR Lens Discussion 4 12-29-2009 02:06 PM
Stop using plastic Damn Brit General Talk 70 11-02-2009 09:38 PM



All times are GMT -7. The time now is 10:10 PM. | See also: NikonForums.com, CanonForums.com part of our network of photo forums!
  • Red (Default)
  • Green
  • Gray
  • Dark
  • Dark Yellow
  • Dark Blue
  • Old Red
  • Old Green
  • Old Gray
  • Dial-Up Style
Hello! It's great to see you back on the forum! Have you considered joining the community?
register
Creating a FREE ACCOUNT takes under a minute, removes ads, and lets you post! [Dismiss]
Top