Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

View Poll Results: Wich DA-L lens to develop next?
DA-L 18mm/f4 713.73%
DA-L 60mm/f2.8 917.65%
DA-L 90mm/f2.8 917.65%
DA-L 70mm/f4 1:2 macro 1019.61%
My new idea for a DA-L lens is.... 917.65%
Stop developing new DA-L lenses. 2039.22%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 51. You may not vote on this poll

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
06-17-2011, 04:58 AM   #16
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Personally, I'd love a "cheap" ultra wide option. Those lenses are just so expensive and I really really want one. But just can't afford it. Maybe a DA L 14 or 15? Or a zoom? I don't know.

I like the DA L 70 macro idea!

06-17-2011, 08:10 AM   #17
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by paperbag846 Quote
They could do this. My hope is that they would leave the FA 50 alone. I have a feeling that they cannot afford to sell the FA 50 at bargain bin prices any more, which is why I suggested the DA L 55.

They could also do the 50mm f.17 in a DA L form... but why not just run with the K55, which has a better fov on digital anyway (it's also better spaced from the 35mm).
The FA 50/1.4 is currently selling new for $359.95. up from $199 less than 3 years ago.
06-17-2011, 09:05 AM   #18
Banned

Photos: Gallery
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Blue Quote
The FA 50/1.4 is currently selling new for $359.95. up from $199 less than 3 years ago.
Or making it a new DA-L 50mm/f2 wich will be cheap to make and sell in the pricerange for this lensseries. The FA50mm/f1.4 is way to expensive.
06-17-2011, 10:39 AM   #19
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by RonHendriks1966 Quote
Or making it a new DA-L 50mm/f2 wich will be cheap to make and sell in the pricerange for this lensseries. The FA50mm/f1.4 is way to expensive.
I suppose, but we should have an f1.4 lens available that isn't weather sealed.

I would have bought the DA *55 yesterday if it wasnt bulky and overpriced due to SDM and weather sealing.

06-17-2011, 01:09 PM   #20
Pentaxian

... Strange US system, so I'm glad you bring up the DA14 wich I have. It's stated for $ 949,95 at Adorama, but when you put it in your card it costs only $ 699 So what is the story on that? ...
Many manufacturers including Pentax impose a Minimum Advertised Price (MAP, Resale price maintenance - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia) on their dealers. Adorama can sell the item for less when you click to put it in your cart but they can't "advertise" the price. B&H does something similar to show prices on their website.
06-17-2011, 01:25 PM   #21
Banned

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by DeadJohn Quote
Many manufacturers including Pentax impose a Minimum Advertised Price (MAP, Resale price maintenance - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia) on their dealers. Adorama can sell the item for less when you click to put it in your cart but they can't "advertise" the price. B&H does something similar to show prices on their website.
Thanks, never seen this in The Netherlands. A shop who would do this overhere would have zero customours at their doorstep.
06-17-2011, 01:28 PM   #22
Veteran Member

Why are people voting to stop developing L series lenses? I'm poor and cannot afford ltds, *s or even good DAs so L series are perfect for me. Shame on you guys.

06-17-2011, 01:35 PM   #23
Banned

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by KxBlaze Quote
Why are people voting to stop developing L series lenses? I'm poor and cannot afford ltds, *s or even good DAs so L series are perfect for me. Shame on you guys.
I have no idea, maybe for thinking that it will interfere developing expensive lenses maybe?

On my wishlist I will put a DA-L 70mm/f4 1:2 Macro lens for a good and cheap price.
06-17-2011, 01:40 PM   #24
Veteran Member

I vote for the 18mm f4 because small pocketable wides are like hen's teeth. The other focal lengths are easy to cover cheaply.

Re cost, I can't understand how they can make such a cheap 18-55 zoom but couldn't make a slower simpler prime lens more cheaply. S'pose it'd be an economy of scale thing?
06-17-2011, 01:52 PM   #25
Inactive Account

I feel DA-L are the wildcards they pull out when the cameras are being released. There is no great plan to this. It all makes sence. 18-55 and 55-300 to appeal the masses, and the 35 is an easy and useable FL on an APS-C, again.... easy to sell. All of them released with the entry level cameras. Its a fast R&D call, making the decisions late, pull out old designs, put them in cheap bodys. Its smart and it sells. Next DA-L will have a macro designation or just maybe the FA 50 will have a rebirth as DA-L 50 1,8

Last edited by the swede; 06-17-2011 at 01:59 PM.
06-17-2011, 04:23 PM   #26
Veteran Member

I have no idea, maybe for thinking that it will interfere developing expensive lenses maybe?

On my wishlist I will put a DA-L 70mm/f4 1:2 Macro lens for a good and cheap price.
Still, shame on them for thinking of only themselves.

the 70mm was the one I voted for too. I do not have that prime focal length nor do I have a true dedicated macro lens. Although it would obviously be nice for it to be 1:1 but that is even more wishful thinking.
06-17-2011, 05:46 PM   #27
Site Supporter

Still, shame on them for thinking of only themselves.

the 70mm was the one I voted for too. I do not have that prime focal length nor do I have a true dedicated macro lens. Although it would obviously be nice for it to be 1:1 but that is even more wishful thinking.
That cuts both direction guys. I am not wanting expensive lenses, but very good ones, well made ones. You are probably young in 15 to 20 years you will figure it out.

Edit: I don't figure on these things strictly from my perspective. For example, I couldn't afford the FA* 600/4 that was taken out of the catalog 2 years ago. However, I thought that was very stupid of the Hoya boys given those were essentially special order items that cost ~ $8500 each.

Edit Edit: Furthermore, the DA 35/2.4 AL isn't technically an L lens even though it has the plasti-mount. That said, I think it would be good to have 2 or 3, maybe 4 primes in the catalog, in addition to the aforementioned items.
06-22-2011, 08:19 AM   #28
Adorama Camera Representative

Thanks, never seen this in The Netherlands. A shop who would do this overhere would have zero customours at their doorstep.
It isn't the choice of the individual retailers, I can promise you!

But if we were to go against any manufacturer's MAP we'd almost certainly lose our authorized retailer status.
06-22-2011, 10:01 AM   #29
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Blue Quote
That cuts both direction guys. I am not wanting expensive lenses, but very good ones, well made ones. You are probably young in 15 to 20 years you will figure it out.
I don't get it, figure what out? The 55-300 DAL is optically just as good as the DA version but is 1/2 the price. The 35mm while not technically an L version, basically is and is miles cheaper than the DA ltd. I don't think it's too much to ask for a 70mm DAL 1:2 macro for around $250-$300. And I also don't understand what my age has to do with it? Are you saying that everyone my age is immature or doesn't understand the economics of photography lenses because to be completely honest with you I found your comment to be a little degrading and judgmental. I do not know if you meant it in that fashion but that is how it came across to me.
06-22-2011, 10:29 AM   #30
Site Supporter

I don't get it, figure what out? The 55-300 DAL is optically just as good as the DA version but is 1/2 the price. The 35mm while not technically an L version, basically is and is miles cheaper than the DA ltd. I don't think it's too much to ask for a 70mm DAL 1:2 macro for around $250-$300. And I also don't understand what my age has to do with it? Are you saying that everyone my age is immature or doesn't understand the economics of photography lenses because to be completely honest with you I found your comment to be a little degrading and judgmental. I do not know if you meant it in that fashion but that is how it came across to me.
The comment had to do with fact that I by lenses with consideration of how well the feel and hold up since I tend to keep the ones I like for decades. The DA L version of the 55-300 also comes without the hood. When you buy the OEM hood, that is close to the difference in the Price of the regular version and the plastic mount version when both are purchased new. In addition to that, it gives up quick-shift!!!

As far as you "degrading and judgmental" comment, that's your personal problem. You were pretty damn snide with your "shame on them" comment when you were being a bit self centered with your own opinions about your "wants" from Pentax. For example, I don't particularly plan to by the DA 35/2.4 AL unless I get it bundled with something. However, I think it is a good lens for Pentax to keep in the line-up. My opinions in these threads of this type have to do with the overall lineup and not just what interests me because good well thought out lineup will help Pentax be sustainable into the future.

Last edited by Blue; 06-25-2011 at 01:43 PM.