Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
06-11-2011, 01:29 AM   #31
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
here is another CA test from my K 50mm f/1.2 using the Silver Mechanism on my Oboe using wireless flash:

Last edited by Digitalis; 01-28-2015 at 12:36 AM.
06-11-2011, 05:37 AM   #32
axl
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
The K50/1.2 is indeed excellent design. My copy was spectacularly PF resistant unless some very extreme conditions were not forced on it. But my copy exhibited dtrong red outlining of in focus objects under very hars contrast, especially on K10.
DA*55 on K10 was purpling even in the middle of the frame but my second copy on K-7 almost struggles to produce PF or other abberations...

As the OOF rendering, the 50/1.2 is unbeatable in K mount land. The only lens under 100mm that comes remotely close to the smoothness of OOF objects is 31 ltd.
55 has big problem with busy/contrast backgrounds where it creates circless out of anything shiny... And unfortunatelly this effect is strongest at f1.4, but with all honesty I think that's the only thing to complain about with this lens. If you are carefull enough with framing this lens can be buttery smooth too...
06-11-2011, 05:59 AM   #33
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by axl Quote
The K50/1.2 is indeed excellent design. My copy was spectacularly PF resistant unless some very extreme conditions were not forced on it. But my copy exhibited strong red outlining of in focus objects under very harsh contrast, especially on K10.
I haven't seen any of the strong red outlining that you speak of in my copy of the lens, though I do get a bit of transverse chromatic abberration which causes blue/red fringes but that typically appears at the borders of the image at close focusing distances - which is pretty typical for this class of lens and is effortlessly fixed in LR3/ACR. Unlike Purple fringing which is what I absolutely hate about the canon 50mm f/1.2L - purple fringing is rears it's ugly violet head even at f/8 on that lens, which is why I consider the Pentax K/A 50mm f/1.2 to be superior to the Canon L lens.
06-11-2011, 09:51 AM   #34
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Laurentiu Cristofor Quote
I'm confused. The Samyang 85 has been around for some years. It indeed has practically no CA issues and it also has great flare resistance - I used a friend's copy for an afternoon and found nothing to complain about.
you misread my post, I said SAMSUNG not SAMYANG. they are not the same. but on a side note, the Samyang indeed has really good CA control and very smooth bokeh.

06-11-2011, 09:59 AM   #35
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Digitalis Quote
I haven't seen any of the strong red outlining that you speak of in my copy of the lens, though I do get a bit of transverse chromatic abberration which causes blue/red fringes but that typically appears at the borders of the image at close focusing distances - which is pretty typical for this class of lens and is effortlessly fixed in LR3/ACR. Unlike Purple fringing which is what I absolutely hate about the canon 50mm f/1.2L - purple fringing is rears it's ugly violet head even at f/8 on that lens, which is why I consider the Pentax K/A 50mm f/1.2 to be superior to the Canon L lens.
indeed. PF's can really be a bitch. although it can be corrected, it requires a lot of work especially with the more serious ones. aside from purple fringing, the other thing that can be a headache are color blooming on some lenses. that is my biggest complaint on my M85. I mean the lens would had been remarkable when used in color since I found them really vibrant and alive (pop-ish) if not for that phenomena. sadly I had to content with using it at f/5.6 or B&W most of the time just to avoid it on most scenarios. too bad since I love using the lens at fast openings (f2-f4).
06-11-2011, 12:27 PM   #36
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

@Ubuntu_user: I think I may recognize this lens. Glad to see you're having some fun with it.
06-11-2011, 12:29 PM   #37
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Asahiflex Quote
FYI: there's no such thing as an A* 50/1.2. It's just a plain "A" lens. Not that it is bad; far from it. And I want one too
No, but the 1.2 is built like the other A* lenses. That should make you crave for it and the 135/1.8 a little more @Asahiflex.

06-13-2011, 08:08 PM   #38
Banned

Photos: Albums
take them outside on a bright day, and boy, do you get a lesson in chromatic aberrations. I would try a scene with shiny reflections on metallic objects.
this is from the K 50mm f/1.2 slightly stopped down on an overcast day -
I was actually asking for a sample from a bright day, not from an overcast day. But, the K50/1.2 may indeed be better than other lenses of its era - there are always exeptions. I don't have the pleasure of owning it. Would still like to see some samples in strong light with crops from areas with reflections.

QuoteOriginally posted by Pentaxor Quote
you misread my post, I said SAMSUNG not SAMYANG. they are not the same. but on a side note, the Samyang indeed has really good CA control and very smooth bokeh.
Sorry, just two letters difference - I'm not used to seeing the name of Samsung on lens discussions, just on sensors Didn't know about that lens - learned something new.
06-13-2011, 09:31 PM   #39
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

was actually asking for a sample from a bright day, not from an overcast day.
with overcast weather the specular highlights cover more area( because of the diffusion of sunlight) and are much better at making purple fringing apparent. With my 50mm f/1.2 CA test I used a diffused light source and a strong direct light source both are reflected from the silver keys on my oboe which should show the fringing issue you are claim to exist with older lenses like the 50mm f/1.2 - it does happen but it is very well controlled with the SMCP-K/A 50mm f/1.2 lenses.
06-13-2011, 09:53 PM   #40
Veteran Member

Sorry, just two letters difference - I'm not used to seeing the name of Samsung on lens discussions, just on sensors Didn't know about that lens - learned something new.

that's alright. me neither. I guess we need to adapt to it from now on. especially they are pretty much getting into some serious photography business. if they released one right now, I'm seriously getting one by next month. I'd probably get an NX10 to try it with or wait for it's successor. I might get two bodies, one is the cheaper NX and the rumored highend NX.
06-13-2011, 11:36 PM   #41
Veteran Member

First time ive seen this thread, I like the results of both, I wouldnt say one is better than the other because they both go about rendering the OOF differently. If anything the DA*55 does a better job at subject isolation.

I would like more test results in other places, rather than a candle placed very closely in front of a box
06-14-2011, 04:23 AM   #42
axl
Veteran Member

here is a shot with K50/1.2 @1.2, K10D ISO200 +1Ev t=1/2000:

and 100%crop:

and no, this wasn't one off... I have bunch of shots that exhibit exactly the same issue...
still, I think the K50/1.2 was the best lens I ever shot...
06-14-2011, 04:27 AM   #43
axl
Veteran Member

having finally seen this thread and it's pictures on my PC as opposed to my phone screen, I have to say that in this shoot out the differences in focusing are far more important than differences in OOF rendering. Personally I don't think this test is challenging enough for either lens, and doesn't allow A50 to show it's full glory. One thing that's noticeable though is overexposure with DA* (I believe coatings are here to blame as even from my personal experience I believe the DA* let's more light through than K or M or A series 50s on the same aperture), and sharpness, where DA* is better than A.

my 2p
06-14-2011, 05:03 AM   #44
Veteran Member

A 50/1.2 is ok in sharpness. Its purple fringeing is pretty bad in high contrast setting just like most lenses anyway. I find this lens much better shot wide open in the night setting. Colour is quite vibrant doing that.

Da*55/1.4 is good in all paramaters but its background bokeh tends to render double tram track effects quite frequently.
06-14-2011, 06:59 AM   #45
Veteran Member

Original Poster
I've got another shot comparison between the two that I will be uploading here sometime (when I can find the time). I used controlled lighting with it (flash) so hopefully it will lead us to some more interesting observations...