Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
11-11-2007, 12:59 AM   #1
Inactive Account

Bargain or DOG (Adorama - condition d)? Tokina k 28-105/3.5-4.8 Lens W/box - $64!

I actually love my 18-125 sigma - within it's limits, i get shots that, to me, look as good as anything i've seen by any pro or gifted amateur. But the vignetting wide open is a pain - as is the softness.

So I wanted a full frame design that wouldn't suffer from vignetting - I was actually after the pentax 28-105 f3.2 - but there's no eta on the backorder :-(

So this appeared today at Adoram - and I just grabbed it (insert happy dance!).
Condition is listed as 'D' - which is demo condition, ie: as new.

And the 40mm 2.8 pancake arrives tomorrow too... ah, the sickness begins... curse you Adorama for your very reasonable prices and ultra fast delivery!!!

I figure the pancake is going to be sharp as anything, right across the frame - with fast focus (for a pentax), and the manual focus 28-105 tokina should be good for the stuff where I need a zoom for practical reasons. With my favourite, the FA 50 1.4 for that delicious bokeh :-)

But if this lens is a dog, please tell me in advance, so I can let myself down gently.

Last edited by 123K10D; 04-19-2008 at 09:51 PM.
11-11-2007, 08:47 AM   #2
Veteran Member

I had that lens for about six months. Technically, I still have it but it's broken. Won't AF. I bought it used off eBay as part of a kit that had a film lens and a flash. Think I paid about $80 for the whole kit.

I liked the range and the shots were quite good. It produced sharp photos. My only complaint is that it's quite heavy and it would extend itself if the camera weren't held upright. I carried that lens throughout the 4 parks at Disney last summer and I didn't need much else. I slapped the Zenitar on a few times to shoot Cinderellas castle and some other buildings, but for the most part, that Tokina stayed mounted.

I wouldn't mind owning that lens again, so if you find yourself hating it, shoot me a PM. I am considering the Tammy 18-250, but the jury is still out on it.
11-11-2007, 02:43 PM   #3
Inactive Account

Original Poster
thanks very much for that post ericc.

that key word 'sharp' was all i needed to know. and yep, will drop you a pm if i get something else, though i can't really see anything else with it's range (in full-frame design) available atm.

cheers.