Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 1 Like Search this Thread
06-10-2011, 08:44 AM   #1

Photos: Albums
Lens for Concert Photography

Hi everybody, I have an opportunity to photograph an outdoor festival with several bands, spanding from late afternoon to nite time. I have a pentax kx and will be right at the stage, with a photo pass.
I have the original kit lens, a sigma 70-300, and a manual 50mm 1.7.
I was wondering what type of lens should I get, I was thinking about the 50-135 2.8? I was thinking that would give me a good general lens to use?

What do you guys think? maybe a 70-200 2.8?

Thanks, Georege

06-10-2011, 08:57 AM   #2
Banned

Photos: Gallery
well it does depend on the amount of light, the distance to your subject and the picture you want to take (singer singled out or like the two guitarplayers together). So there is not a single answer to this.

I do it sometimes and use DA*55mm and FA*85mm for this. Also have used DA21mm and on occasion DA*50-135mm.

Light can be very different and thus changing your oppertunity's.

FA*85mm

DA*55mm
06-10-2011, 09:02 AM   #3
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I haven't shot a concert with my new K-5 but, I have done a few with my older gear. I think either the Tamron 70-200 f2.8 or Pentax DA*50-135 f2.8 would be excellent choices. It kind of depends on how close to the stage you can get. I'd have the manual 50mm in my back pocket just in case you need to get closer.
06-10-2011, 09:15 AM   #4
Inactive Account

It sounds like what you have covers the required focal length range.

Can you check out the lighting soon to see if you really need a faster lens? If your photos are destined for computer display the lenses you have could well be fast enough with your K-x at 1600 or 3200.

Once you know if you need faster lenses you'll be able to better decide how to spend what you have.

Of course it never hurts to have faster lenses.

06-10-2011, 09:36 AM   #5
Veteran Member

Since the KX has great low-light capability, you're probably ok with the lenses you have. 300mm should get you more than close enough.

Good luck & have fun! - Bobbo :-)
06-10-2011, 10:20 AM   #6
Veteran Member

I shot one just recently that went from low light to no light (only stage lighting). I used a couple different lenses, 3 MF lenses and 1 AF:

MF 70~210mm Viv'ee S1 V3 2.8
MF 85mm Viv'ee 1.4
MF 55mm Super Tak 1.8
AF 35mm 2.4
(Also used 8mm FE lens for a few specialty shots)

All performed extremely well, actually better than I originally thought they would. Had full gear with me, the K5 and 2 K-X's. The great ISO performance the bodies have enabled me to not worry at all when bumping the ISO up when the light was fading - these shots were captured without the use of flash:
Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-x  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-5  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-x  Photo 
06-10-2011, 10:38 AM   #7
Veteran Member

I have shot audience and comedians in a comedy club about a half dozen times, and most of my setup is geared around that. I have used a Pentax M 50/1.7, Soligor 135/2.8, Rokinon 85/1.4, and Pentax DA70/2.4 with decent results. One of the people who I work with wields a Canon with Sigma 17-50/2.8 for stage shots at Rock concerts where she can actually walk on the stage while the musicians are playing and then a Sigma 70-200/2.8 for audience and when she can't be on stage.

In any case, the lenses that you are considering would work well (and are flexible for range) with your setup (especially shooting at 800-3200 ISO). If you know the event well enough, you can keep primes on hand to get those special shots that you've planned for.

Last edited by icywindow; 06-10-2011 at 10:40 AM. Reason: Clarifying
06-10-2011, 10:46 AM   #8
MJL
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Rehearsal?

Will you have time and/or the opportunity to go to the rehearsal? Rehearsal will give you a precise run-down on the action & lighting. I find it tremendously helpful to plan for the "right place & right moment" during the actual performance, especially when using "slower" camera and/or MF lenses. Oh, earplugs are also essential. Good luck & have fun.
06-10-2011, 10:47 AM   #9
Veteran Member

i've shot a lot of concerts over the years (i'll shoot about 50 bands next week) in clubs you a wider zoom (I have a 24-75 f2.8) and a fast 50
For bigger stages like festivals for the night time shooting a 70-200 2.8 is pretty standard with most shooters, though the 50-135 is probably long enough (depends on he stage and the placement off the photo pit) I still use the 24-75 a lot in the bigger pits and use my 200 f4 m for reach and isolating a performer.
If it's a well lit stage what you have will more than suffice for the most part, but at the long end your zoom will cost you 2 stops versus a better one. that 2 stops means slower shutter speeds or higher iso or both. for some bands this means stopping the singer will be a bugger (ever seen Iggy and the stooges )

Have fun
06-10-2011, 12:05 PM   #10
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by joe.penn Quote
I shot one just recently that went from low light to no light (only stage lighting). I used a couple different lenses, 3 MF lenses and 1 AF:

MF 70~210mm Viv'ee S1 V3 2.8
MF 85mm Viv'ee 1.4
MF 55mm Super Tak 1.8
AF 35mm 2.4
(Also used 8mm FE lens for a few specialty shots)

All performed extremely well, actually better than I originally thought they would. Had full gear with me, the K5 and 2 K-X's. The great ISO performance the bodies have enabled me to not worry at all when bumping the ISO up when the light was fading - these shots were captured without the use of flash:
How do you feel the 35/2.4 did for you under those conditions? One of your pics indicate 35mm focal length, and they all look great.
06-10-2011, 12:22 PM   #11
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Docrwm Quote
How do you feel the 35/2.4 did for you under those conditions? One of your pics indicate 35mm focal length, and they all look great.
I was totally blown away with it. That was one of the lenses that I did not expect much from (pretty inexpensive lens) but was extremely surprised with what it produced (that image is shot with that lens) - could be the best $200 I have spent on a lens (here are a couple more shot with it):

EDIT: Just now noticed this, but it looks like the forum software compresses/degrades the images some when uploaded...

View The Uncompressed Versions Here -> http://joepenn.flipmg.com/sp_photoPage.php

If you want to know what lens was used for a specific image, just let me know

---
Attached Images

Last edited by joe.penn; 06-10-2011 at 12:30 PM.
06-10-2011, 12:28 PM   #12
Veteran Member

I was totally blown away with it. That was one of the lenses that I did not expect much from (pretty inexpensive lens) but was extremely surprised with what it produced (that image is shot with that lens) - could be the best $200 I have spent on a lens (here are a couple more shot with it):

EDIT: Just now noticed this, but it looks like the forum software compresses/degrades the images some when uploaded...
Thanks for the quick reply and the additional photos. I just got one myself and haven't used it in conditions like that yet - walk around, kids, etc. so far. Its great to hear that you are impressed with it, so far I am too but I consider the situation you used it in more of a true test of it as an f2.4 lens.
06-10-2011, 12:34 PM   #13
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Docrwm Quote
Thanks for the quick reply and the additional photos. I just got one myself and haven't used it in conditions like that yet - walk around, kids, etc. so far. Its great to hear that you are impressed with it, so far I am too but I consider the situation you used it in more of a true test of it as an f2.4 lens.
Not sure if you seen my edited post, but check out the images here -> Flip Media Group | Joe Penn - Snakebite (Live) - RFK Stadium Grounds 5-28-2011 <br /> Stars & Stripes & Spokes Event

The forum software here seems to compress/degrade the images a little. Quite a few of the images on that page was shot with the 35 2.4, really worked out well - of course, the great ISO performance we have helps quite a bit...
06-10-2011, 12:39 PM   #14
Veteran Member

Not sure if you seen my edited post, but check out the images here -> Flip Media Group | Joe Penn - Snakebite (Live) - RFK Stadium Grounds 5-28-2011 <br /> Stars & Stripes & Spokes Event

The forum software here seems to compress/degrade the images a little. Quite a few of the images on that page was shot with the 35 2.4, really worked out well - of course, the great ISO performance we have helps quite a bit...
Thanks for the link. I see that you used it with your K-5 mostly. I've only got the K-x but so far the combination is a winner. Low light is no longer as daunting since I got the FA50/1.4 and now the DA35/2.4.
06-10-2011, 01:16 PM   #15
Ash
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Having a fast telephoto prime or zoom certainly helps in the concert setting. My favourite is the 70-200 for its reach and f/2.8 speed. But the 50-135 certainly suffices if you can get close enough to the action. A wide-normal f/2.8 zoom is then also handy for the whole-stage type shots that you might need to take. Your K-x should be up to the job with focusing and high ISO performance.