Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
06-11-2011, 08:38 AM   #1
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Why is the FA*28-70 so expensive?

What is the particular character about this lens that makes it's price point so much higher than say the DA* 16-50?

It has it's pretty silver finish, and it has power zoom, and a rotating front element, yet it's price continues to be much higher than I'd expect.

What are your thoughts on this lens?

06-11-2011, 08:48 AM - 1 Like   #2
Pentaxian

I think it has more to do that Pentax lenses have almost become collectors items. So it just how much a nut will pay for it.
06-11-2011, 08:52 AM   #3
Site Supporter

I can't really tell you anything you don't already know. This lens is highly thought of as well as fast for a zoom and works on film bodies. It was relatively expensive when new. It seems like there are only a few that go on sale for a lens that was manufactured for 10 years. They either only made a limited number of them, people tend to hold on to them, or both. I have asked the same things myself because I have looked into it as an alternative to the DA* 16-50. The FA* does have a nice hood.
06-11-2011, 09:00 AM   #4
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Macario Quote
I think it has more to do that Pentax lenses have almost become collectors items. So it just how much a nut will pay for it.
Hysterical

06-11-2011, 09:16 AM   #5
Veteran Member

It's optically magnificent...

QuoteOriginally posted by Clinton Quote
What is the particular character about this lens that makes it's price point so much higher than say the DA* 16-50?

It has it's pretty silver finish, and it has power zoom, and a rotating front element, yet it's price continues to be much higher than I'd expect.

inspite of it's many drawbacks, the pictures you get are contrasty, sharp, and fabulous, with incredible and unique colour rendition, which was the FIRST thing I noticed when I got this lens back in the film days (my first FA* lens). Love it.

And just curious, what's it going for these days?

Cheers,
Cameron
06-11-2011, 09:19 AM   #6
Banned

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Blue Quote
The FA* does have a nice hood.
That hood breaks very easy.

:Hysterical:
+1

Well It just is a big lens and big performer. Low numbers and a lot of nuts.
06-11-2011, 09:46 AM   #7
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by RonHendriks1966 Quote
That hood breaks very easy.

+1

Well It just is a big lens and big performer. Low numbers and a lot of nuts.
Isn't that the same hood that is used on the FA* 300mm?

06-11-2011, 09:58 AM   #8
Veteran Member

I had an opportunity to buy this lens from a fellow forum member. Upon examination of the images he's sent me I noticed that the specific sample offered was too soft wide open to warrant a premium price. Not the seller's fault really - just a fact of life. Presently I settled for Sigma 24-60/2.8.
06-11-2011, 10:06 AM   #9
Pentaxian

I don't think any particular character it offers that makes it so expensive, probably modern lenses will be better or equally good. May be collectors item that is driving the price.
06-11-2011, 10:13 AM   #10
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Clinton Quote

it's nothing more than a collector's item nowadays. I don't think the metal built and PZ function should command a higher premium. generally speaking, people would be much more happy using a $300-$500 Tammy.
06-11-2011, 10:45 AM   #11
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by yusuf Quote
I don't think any particular character it offers that makes it so expensive, probably modern lenses will be better or equally good. May be collectors item that is driving the price.
Really? Look at the price the DA* 16-50mm is bringing at present, $899 with a better than average chance of something going wrong with it. I agree that the FA* price is way too high but given how little Pentax backs up their premium gear, it is a gamble.
06-11-2011, 10:50 AM   #12
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Pentaxor Quote
it's nothing more than a collector's item nowadays. I don't think the metal built and PZ function should command a higher premium. generally speaking, people would be much more happy using a $300-$500 Tammy.
I don't think so as far as IQ and build go. But at least the Tamron 28-75 is full frame meaning it can be used on af film bodies as well. I don't think getting into Pentax is the way to go if one's main motivation is to run Tamron or Sigma glass.

Edit: People aren't exactly giving away the Canon 28-70mm/2.8 L or its successor the 24-70mm/2.8 lenses either.

Last edited by Blue; 06-11-2011 at 10:57 AM.
06-11-2011, 11:29 AM   #13
Veteran Member

Isn't that the same hood that is used on the FA* 300mm?
I believe it's the same hood as the FA*80-200.

QuoteOriginally posted by Pentaxor Quote
I think I'd agree with that. Compared to my Tamron 28-75, the FA*28-70 felt too heavy and the sharpness wide open above 50mm wasn't nearly as good as the Tamron (see next comment). Sure the build was better in that it felt more solid and was mostly metal, but not to the point where it was worth anywhere near the premium (to me).

QuoteOriginally posted by Boris Quote
I had an opportunity to buy this lens from a fellow forum member. Upon examination of the images he's sent me I noticed that the specific sample offered was too soft wide open to warrant a premium price. Not the seller's fault really - just a fact of life. Presently I settled for Sigma 24-60/2.8.
I owned the FA*28-70 in question. There's no question that softness wide open, specifically at or above 50mm, is probably this lens Achilles Heel (that and the hide price tag). It was a hard lens for my to judge because shoot test shots against the Tamron, the FA* wasn't as sharp, but the final output of a lot of similar shots I took with both lenses, I did end up preferring the output of the FA*.

All that said, I both bought and sold mine for around $800. They seems to be going for even more money now, which would only make me more likely to go for a Sigma 24-60 or Tamron 28-75 if I were choosing again.
06-11-2011, 12:03 PM   #14
Veteran Member

I don't think getting into Pentax is the way to go if one's main motivation is to run Tamron or Sigma glass.
I believe so to. having said that, aside from being a discontinued lens, there is nothing out there that Pentax could offer the same capability. the Pentax 17-70 perhaps could solve the focal length capability, but I don't think that it's in the same league with it's faster predecessor, nor with the 3rd party manufacturer's could offer better.

there are also things to consider aside from that. the Tamron for example is a great 3rd party alternative to those who are on a budget but also wants great optical performance. since they don't have a camera system of their own, they pretty much fit any OEM brand system.
06-12-2011, 12:51 PM   #15
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by dgaies Quote
All that said, I both bought and sold mine for around $800. They seems to be going for even more money now
This is at the heart of my point. I can buy a new DA* 16-50 from Adorama for $822. or I can go to fleabay and procure one for a cool $1500 or $1200. :P