Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 2 Likes Search this Thread
06-13-2011, 06:28 PM   #31
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by dgaies Quote
I don't recall anyone saying the images from either the Tamron or Sigma would "blow away" the FA*, nor did I ever imply the lens "sucks", I just feel that the Tamron 28-75 is a good bit sharper than the Pentax at 50-70mm at f/2.8. Certainly sharpness isn't the only important attribute of a lens, but at the price point of the FA* many people (including myself) expected more. If I still have the tests shots saved when I compared the Tamron against the FA* I would be happy to post them for you.

edit: can't find the comparison shots I took between the Tamron and FA*, but I found the set of FA*28-70 shots I took for Boris last fall (link). There are 27 shots; 3 focal lengths, 3 focal distances and 3 apertures (f/2.8, f/5.6 and f/11). These obviously won't be helpful in terms of a comparison to the Sigma or Tamron, but just in case anyone was interested.
in other words, the price you pay for an FA*28-70 is not worth it in terms of performance.

06-13-2011, 06:45 PM   #32
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Pentaxor Quote
in other words, the price you pay for an FA*28-70 is not worth it in terms of performance.
It wasn't worth the price (to me). However, I realize some people may feel differently and that's obviously fine as we all have different priorities in terms of what we want out of a given lens at a given price point. For example, I personally think my FA*85 is worth the high price I paid given its attributes and performance, but I realize some people would argue that the FA77 is a better value at almost half the price. Again, to each his/her own.

Last edited by dgaies; 06-13-2011 at 07:03 PM.
06-13-2011, 07:03 PM   #33
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I agree that the FA* 28-70mm/2.8 is way overpriced. However, while good lenses, I don't think the aforementioned Tamron and Sigma are * class lenses.
06-13-2011, 07:05 PM   #34
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Blue Quote
I agree that the FA* 28-70mm/2.8 is way overpriced. However, while good lenses, I don't think the aforementioned Tamron and Sigma are * class lenses.
You're right, neither the Sigma nor the Tamron are * class (certainly the Tamron lacks in the build quality department). However, for the $290 that I paid for my Tamron 28-75/2.8, its performance has far exceeded my expectations.

06-13-2011, 07:29 PM   #35
Veteran Member

It wasn't worth the price (to me). However, I realize some people may feel differently and that's obviously fine as we all have different priorities in terms of what we want out of a given lens at a given price point. For example, I personally think my FA*85 is worth the high price I paid given its attributes and performance, but I realize some people would argue that the FA77 is a better value at almost half the price. Again, to each his/her own.
although I have mad respect for the FA77, I don't believe it should be put at the same category with the FA*85. the performance in both lenses are different.
06-13-2011, 07:34 PM   #36
Veteran Member

if you would ask me how much I value the FA*28-70, I would put it at around $800 at most, just by virtue of it being a classic FA*. it would be very difficult to justify paying twice for it, especially if your purpose is just to use it, not as a collector's item.
06-13-2011, 07:50 PM   #37
Site Supporter

if you would ask me how much I value the FA*28-70, I would put it at around $800 at most, just by virtue of it being a classic FA*. it would be very difficult to justify paying twice for it, especially if your purpose is just to use it, not as a collector's item.
I think $800 is too much.

You're right, neither the Sigma nor the Tamron are * class (certainly the Tamron lacks in the build quality department). However, for the $290 that I paid for my Tamron 28-75/2.8, its performance has far exceeded my expectations.
That Tammy 28-75 goes for $499 new at present at BH! Everything is jacked-up.

06-13-2011, 07:56 PM   #38
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Blue Quote
I think $800 is too much.
cheapskate.

but then again, I said at most. so anything over that would really be too much, especially at $800.99
06-14-2011, 08:48 AM   #39
Veteran Member

So what is it going for?

Just curious as to the outrageous prices you have seen.

Thanks,
Cameron
06-14-2011, 08:53 AM   #40
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I've never had the lens in question and probably never will, however it seems like a simple case of supply and demand.

Regardless of the reasons, more people seem to want them than there are lenses available for sale.
06-14-2011, 09:00 AM   #41
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by cambo Quote
just curious as to the outrageous prices you have seen.

Thanks,
cameron
$1500
06-14-2011, 09:05 AM   #42
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Cambo Quote
Just curious as to the outrageous prices you have seen.

Thanks,
Cameron
nothing lower than $1,000, which is pretty steep considering that there are alternatives. on average, they sit at around $1,200-$1,300. $1,500 and $1,600 is already pathetic.
06-14-2011, 09:11 AM   #43
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by EsBee Quote

Regardless of the reasons, more people seem to want them than there are lenses available for sale.
I would strongly disagree. otherwise, they wouldn't had been sitting on eBay for awhile even for the price that they are currently selling right now. set a BIN or bid option for a Tammy or Sigma at $250 or $300 and you will see some real bidding action or a goner upon the first person to see the listing. set the same for the FA* at $1,200 and it would sit there until someone with the cash to burn will get it.
06-14-2011, 03:48 PM   #44
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I would strongly disagree. otherwise, they wouldn't had been sitting on eBay for awhile even for the price that they are currently selling right now.
If a lens sells for the asking price within an acceptable time-frame, it is evident that there is at least ONE buyer willing to pay the asking price.

And how is that opposite to, "there seems to be more demand than the supply"?
06-14-2011, 06:39 PM   #45
Veteran Member

Actually the price for FA*2870 is only around or even lower than $1000 nowadays, at least from the fleabay. If it's over $1100, it's pretty hard to sale. That's my observation

I got mine for 1k, and I think it's worth the cost. Think about how much the Canon/Nikon equivelent ones sold for, and they are still in production (while Pentax FA* are out of production, less supply w/ higher demand, thus higher price).

I've had the Tamron and Sigma equivelents before too, they are optically very good, but I can't say so in other aspects (built quality, look and feel, and not a Pentax).