Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
06-11-2011, 03:53 PM   #16
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by paperbag846 Quote
The 50 1.4 hood issue is such a common one, and one I just don't understand.

How could you be using a lens with no hood and expect it to perform well??? It simply boggles my mind. Photography 101!
Well, I think often the FA50/1.4 is the first prime lens people buy and as such they may not be as knowledgeable as you assume. Since the FA50/1.4 doesn't come with a hood, a person who is somewhat new to photography may assume it doesn't need and/or benefit from a hood.

06-11-2011, 03:58 PM   #17
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by dgaies Quote
Well, I think often the FA50/1.4 is the first prime lens people buy and as such they may not be as knowledgeable as you assume. Since the FA50/1.4 doesn't come with a hood, a person who is somewhat new to photography may assume it doesn't need and/or benefit from a hood.
Yes, but people who own a lot of expensive glass seem to make the same mistake. I can't tell you how many times I've read "50 1.4 is good but soft wide open". Yes, it's soft wide open if you don't use a hood! And these people have well over 1000 invested in glass!

I would imagine a lot of people make the same mistake with the DA L 35mm 2.4.

I guess part of the problem is that people don't have access to Pentax hoods in stores very often.
06-11-2011, 04:08 PM   #18
Veteran Member

Yes, but people who own a lot of expensive glass seem to make the same mistake. I can't tell you how many times I've read "50 1.4 is good but soft wide open". Yes, it's soft wide open if you don't use a hood! And these people have well over 1000 invested in glass!

I guess part of the problem is that people don't have access to Pentax hoods in stores very often.
I'll give you that (about people who should know better don't always know better).

FWIW, I don't think it's nearly as big an issue with the DAL35/2.4 as with the FA50/1.4 (from what I can tell). I bought a 35/2.4 for my son to use and I initially didn't have a hood for him to use. I took a bunch of shots wide open without the hood and didn't see the same kind of loss of contrast/flare that I would have expected to see if it was like the FA50/1.4. I still need to find a nice rigid hood for it (I'll probably going to use step-down rings to make a DA40 type hood), if for no other reason than he's only 4 and the front element could use all the protection it can get
06-11-2011, 05:28 PM   #19
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums

First, I am part of the Choir on the hood issue. I've got a hood for each and every lens (or one on order for my newest and am swapping for now).

But, I just do not understand the statement "people don't have access to Pentax hoods in stores very often." Hoods are available online in every size, shape, material, and configuration imaginable. I bought an odd-ball lens, the Quanatray 28-90 Marco, for which I could find no purpose built hood - no problem, there were several choices available that would work. For my kit lens I bought a Chinese copy of the Pentax hood - it was so exact that its slide fit into the Pentax hood I found later that did not have one.

Hoods, they're not just for lenses that come with them any more!

06-11-2011, 05:59 PM   #20
Pentaxian

Yes, I have too much time on my hands

I can't comment on FA 50 1.7 prices, but after I found a good deal on a local F 50 1.7 last year, I kept an eye on F 50 prices on ebay. Maybe you can get this info from ebay itself, but for what it's worth:

From March 2010 to March 2011 I charted 58 Pentax F 50 1.7s sold on ebay. Including shipping, the average selling price was $230.

Last edited by .a.t.; 06-11-2011 at 06:10 PM.
06-12-2011, 05:25 AM   #21
Site Supporter

Original Poster
Wow, thank you all for such quick responses. I actually have a FA 50mm f1.7, and was thinking of selling it, however, I had no clue what it was worth. You have all been very helpful - thanks again!
06-12-2011, 07:45 AM   #22
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Docrwm Quote
Hoods, they're not just for lenses that come with them any more!
agreed, but it's a little bit more work when you are like "ok, my lens has this diameter, and covers this focal length with the crop factor". It's a little bit more brain-intensive than "Hood for Canon EF 50 1.8!!!!!"

I don't have too much faith in people .
06-12-2011, 09:01 AM   #23
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
agreed, but it's a little bit more work when you are like "ok, my lens has this diameter, and covers this focal length with the crop factor". It's a little bit more brain-intensive than "Hood for Canon EF 50 1.8!!!!!"

I don't have too much faith in people .
I haven't been burned with eBay and knowing the original Pentax part number. Each replacement hood I have gotten has worked really well right out of the box. I haven't tred to be creative and go with longer hoods like some I see have tried. I figure that the OEM hood size and shape had some thought and effort put into their selection by the engineers at Pentax.