Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
06-11-2011, 12:10 PM   #1

Photos: Albums
Focusing Help

Hi everybody, I have a kx with an asahi 1.7 manual lens, it takes great pics, as long as I can get them in focus .

Any tips on camera set up, focusing tips, seems like i am not always getting things in focus, blurry etc? Is it just practice?

Thanks, George

06-11-2011, 05:45 PM   #2
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
A couple of things come to mind. Are you trying to take a lot of pictures at f1.7? If so the depth of field is not paper thin, but not as thick as you may need. Take a look at this link.

You might try stopping down to say f5.6 to f8. Depending on the light your shutter speed may slow down, so increase you ISO to compensate. The Kx has a lot of room in terms of ISO speed. Stopping down also has the byproduct of increasing the image's resolution (up to a point - f8 is usually the sweep spot).

If your shutter speed is too slow, you may induce some blurriness. Is SR on? and how slow is your shutter? Are these indoor or outside?

Then there is the viewfinder. Modern day viewfinders are not really designed for manual focusing. My old Spotmatic has a wonderful split screen viewfinder. You can swap this out, but you may encounter problems with the spot metering, with something like the katzeye. One solution here is the above suggestion - fatten up the depth of field.

Technique, practice and skill.....

hope that helps...
06-11-2011, 05:54 PM   #3
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
I always say this: the biggest thing to understand is that the viewfinder shows too much DOF when shooting at large aperture (anything from f/1.7 to f/2.8). You can easily test this for yourself by shooting some text at an angle and comparing how many lines *appear* in focus in the viewfinder versus how many are *actually* in focus in the picture. Once you wrap your brain around that, you can begin to work on how to account for that.