Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
06-11-2011, 08:50 PM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Why isn't there an official lens hood for DA 35mm

Is it because it is not necessary for it? I am thinking this because I cant see one made by pentax , be it for the macro version or the DA L 35mm F2.4 - I can't seem to find any online. Except there are many third party version and home made solution here in this forum.

And I see some people selling hood of 50mm to be compatible with this 35mm version, is it okay to use it?

06-11-2011, 08:56 PM   #2
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by sany Quote
Is it because it is not necessary for it? I am thinking this because I cant see one made by pentax , be it for the macro version or the DA L 35mm F2.4 - I can't seem to find any online. Except there are many third party version and home made solution here in this forum.

And I see some people selling hood of 50mm to be compatible with this 35mm version, is it okay to use it?
The hood for the FA 50mm/1.4 will be o.k. with it on the dSLR bodies.
06-11-2011, 09:10 PM   #3
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
I suppose the main reason for no "official" lens hood is to keep the costs as low as possible. The DA L 35mm 2.4 is a great lens, and the price is reasonable, although some lament the fact that it has a plastic mount instead of a metal one. The plastic mount, along with no hood, are but two items on a list of features Pentax skipped for the sake of price.

I'm glad you found my post about using the Kalt metal lens hood with the DA L 35mm 2.4 - This solution has worked very well for me. Storing the lens in my camera bag without the hood attached doesn't really save any space. The lens is very light and quite compact, and I don't mind leaving the hood on all the time.

Some people argue a metal hood is bad because it offers no cushioning protection (like a rubber hood) if it were struck by something. My feeling is that if things are flying at you when you're photographing your lens hood is the least of your worries!
06-11-2011, 09:31 PM   #4
Veteran Member

I use this one for mine.....
Pentax 49mm Round Rubber Lens Hood 34260 B&H Photo Video

06-12-2011, 04:26 AM   #5
axl
Veteran Member

Doesn't DA35Ltd have built in hood?

QuoteOriginally posted by LowVoltage Quote
Some people argue a metal hood is bad because it offers no cushioning protection (like a rubber hood) if it were struck by something. My feeling is that if things are flying at you when you're photographing your lens hood is the least of your worries!
The point of that argument is not about prodecting the hood or to worry about hood but the fact that plastic/rubber hoods dampen the force inflicted by the blow while metal hood relays the force to it's aatachment point which usually is the moving barrel of the lens and that can have dire consequences...
06-12-2011, 04:49 AM   #6
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by axl Quote

The point of that argument is not about prodecting the hood or to worry about hood but the fact that plastic/rubber hoods dampen the force inflicted by the blow while metal hood relays the force to it's aatachment point which usually is the moving barrel of the lens and that can have dire consequences...
Yes, the DA 35 limited has a built in, pull-out hood. It works OK, although the 35 limited is pretty resistant to flare.
06-12-2011, 04:58 AM   #7
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by axl Quote

Exacto..... I use rubber hoods whenever possible.

06-12-2011, 05:35 AM   #8
Veteran Member

I have one rubber hood and I like the concept, but I find it just attracts dust and hair/fur (I have cats). Does anyone else have this problem? Last thing I want is to attract dust towards the lens.
06-12-2011, 05:47 AM   #9
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by loco Quote
I have one rubber hood and I like the concept, but I find it just attracts dust and hair/fur (I have cats). Does anyone else have this problem? Last thing I want is to attract dust towards the lens.
I am presently, & have always been, owned by cats, the present configuration consisting of two longhaired Main Coons. The occasional pass under running water seems to circumvent most problems not solved with a simple blast of air/brush (the hood, not the cats).
P.S. - When not in use, I keep my equipment in dust free sealed cases.
06-12-2011, 09:59 AM   #10
Veteran Member

I find that the screw in hood of the 70mm ltd works perfectly with the DAL35. If only they were easy to get a hold of and are cheaper. I sometimes wish they would come out with cheap knock off replacement hood/cap for this lens to that I can put one permanently on my DAL35.
06-12-2011, 10:41 AM   #11
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by raymeedc Quote
I am presently, & have always been, owned by cats, the present configuration consisting of two longhaired Main Coons. The occasional pass under running water seems to circumvent most problems not solved with a simple blast of air/brush (the hood, not the cats).

Oh, it's not that much of a problem getting the dust and hair off. But I find it accumulates on the hood as I walk around with it on the camera. I suppose it's better for it to be on the hood than the lens, I just worry that the hood is actually attracting that stuff. I do like the rubber hood, but I got a metal one to use because of this "problem". I think I may just be kind of paranoid.
06-12-2011, 11:24 AM   #12
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by raymeedc Quote
How do you usually use the filter when you are using the hood, do you fix the filter to the lens thread and in the filter thread you attach the hood?

All DA35mm users, please suggest me a best combination of filter(ND and polarizer) and hood solution for this lens please. Any links to online shops will be much appreciated!

Let me know your opinion on this please.

Also, suggest me some good cokin solution and suggest me which one is good to go with. Cokin or the more traditional one considering my filter and hood usage.

thanks

Last edited by sany; 06-12-2011 at 11:36 AM.
06-16-2011, 04:41 PM   #13
Veteran Member

I've been shooting my DA35/2.4 with a rubber 3-stage hood that I use on my FA50/1.4. It seems to be working and I have no issues with it at all. I've ordered two more via eBay at $2.90 each shipped.

Zykkor Universal Telemetric Lens Hood (49m) reviews - Photographic/Pentax Accessory Database - Flash, Grip, Camera Bag Reviews
06-16-2011, 08:06 PM   #14
Pentaxian

I don't like lenses without either built-in hoods or dedicated hood bayonets, or some other non-thread attachment mechanism (like a twist-lock that clamps the hood to the barrel in a half a turn or so.) It seems like it wouldn't have cost more to mold in the bayonet mount, and there'd be some potential profit in selling the hoods.

Paul
06-17-2011, 04:03 AM   #15
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by tibbitts Quote
I don't like lenses without either built-in hoods or dedicated hood bayonets, or some other non-thread attachment mechanism (like a twist-lock that clamps the hood to the barrel in a half a turn or so.) It seems like it wouldn't have cost more to mold in the bayonet mount, and there'd be some potential profit in selling the hoods.

Paul
True, it would not have cost much to do so. I think of odd-ball sizes a dedicated hood is a must, but for common sizes its less of a need. The DA35/2.4 uses 49mm filters and attachments. I like my screw on 3-stage hoods though as I have a bunch of 49mm lenses and can swap easily between them.