Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
06-12-2011, 04:27 AM   #1

Newbie wants advice

As the title suggests, I've only just recently decided to jump to the darkside and get an SLR camera. Specifically the K-R for a range of reasons (after a heap of research and discussion on numerous sites).

Anyway, now that I've decided what to get - its down to the glass. Besides the kit lens (18-55mm) I want to get some good glass. I'll be mainly using it for landscape/travel photography stuff. So looking for a wide angle lens and also a "fifty" (so a 35mm on the K-R). If you have any recommendations, than that would be great - I can go check the reviews out then make a purchase.

Cheers.

06-12-2011, 04:29 AM   #2
Veteran Member

DA 15mm ltd + DA 35mm f2.4 would do the trick
06-12-2011, 04:31 AM   #3
axl
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I'd say keep your kit lens for a while to find out what focal lengths do you prefer and then choose your "good glass" accordingly.

But if you want to go ahead and start trip down the LBA lane, DA35/2.4 would be a good start without breaking the bank...
06-12-2011, 05:07 AM   #4

Original Poster
I'm gonna start out on the kit lens and get to know the camera. But I'll be on the lookout for another lens too.

Appreciate the help guys.

06-12-2011, 05:17 AM   #5
wjt
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Budget is also important. Look at the DA12-24 or the DA15 first for the wide end, then see what you use most with your kit. Basically all the pentax Limited and * prime lenses are highly regarded and all will deliver results proportional to your skill.
06-12-2011, 06:11 AM   #6
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
There are also the Sigma's 10-20, and 8-16 for the wide end, the Tammy 10-24...i own the 8-16 and trully love that lens...it's so wideeeeee...
The 35 f2,4 as mentioned by twich is a good prime to start getting addicted to them.
There are also a variety of 24 or 28 primes wich can be found cheap and are a fine focal lenght.

But if you got the resources you can directly start looking at the limiteds and the * lenses.
A DA 15 , 35 (you can drool at the macro version), 70 setup is just perfect, quite compact, great portability for travel.
06-12-2011, 06:53 AM   #7

QuoteOriginally posted by trent84 Quote
As the title suggests, I've only just recently decided to jump to the darkside and get an SLR camera. Specifically the K-R for a range of reasons (after a heap of research and discussion on numerous sites).

Anyway, now that I've decided what to get - its down to the glass. Besides the kit lens (18-55mm) I want to get some good glass. I'll be mainly using it for landscape/travel photography stuff. So looking for a wide angle lens and also a "fifty" (so a 35mm on the K-R). If you have any recommendations, than that would be great - I can go check the reviews out then make a purchase.

Cheers.
Wide angle: Sigma 8-16 (see samples below), Sigma 10-20, Pentax 15 limited, Pentax 12-24, Pentax 14
"Fifty": Sigma 30, Pentax 35 limited (see samples below), Pentax 35 f2.4 or for really cheap Pentax FA 28-70 f4

Sigma 8-16 samples:

Pentax 35 Ltd samples

06-12-2011, 07:58 AM   #8
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
I'm assuming you want these lenses because the kit lens isn't cutting it for you?

The 18-55 focal range can easily do "normal" and "landscape" work.

A logical upgrade without breaking the bank would be the DA 16-45, which is a little wider, and sharper.

Buying primes right now might not make the most sense until you know exactly which focal lengths you *love*.

If you want fast glass, then the DA L 35mm and FA 50 get a nod. For wide-angles, you need to decide whether you want variety (the DA 12-24 zoom) or convenience (DA 15). They are equal as far as image quality is concerned.
06-12-2011, 08:33 AM   #9
Veteran Member

Moving from an advanced P&S to my first dSLR, I asked myself, "What do I want to do that I can't do with what I have?" The answers were ultrawide, superzoom, and very fast. So my basic minimal AF kit now contains the Tamron 10-24, DA18-250, and FA50/1.4. Throw in a Raynox DCR-250, and I'm good to go. I have a zillion other lenses, but those are my utility set.

Some folks love a two-zoom kit (plus a fast prime) of 18-55 or 16-45 plus 55-300. I do most shooting between 35-70mm and find that changing lenses around 50mm is intolerable, which is part of why I love the 18-250, my basic lens. It's also a damn good lens, as well as being so flexible.

I'll suggest that "wanting better glass" leads to stratospheric spending on elite lenses, with results that may be pretty indistinguishable from lower-cost glass. Me, I want DIFFERENT lenses, so I now own many many old cheap manual primes with great ability and character, for a fraction of the cost of new AF lenses. Yes, it's good to have a basic set of good zooms for dynamic situations. And it's also good to have specialty lenses for special circumstances, and to explore old cheap glass.

So, my advice: Shoot the kit lens a lot; learn its strengths and weaknesses; find what focal lengths you use most; note where you wish you had something faster. This will inform your future lens buying. Also, get a cheap old manual prime around 28-35-50mm and learn the joy of twisting the focus ring! Then you can become as warped as I am.
06-12-2011, 08:34 AM   #10
Veteran Member

Moving from an advanced P&S to my first dSLR, I asked myself, "What do I want to do that I can't do with what I have?" The answers were ultrawide, superzoom, and very fast. So my basic minimal AF kit now contains the Tamron 10-24, DA18-250, and FA50/1.4. Throw in a Raynox DCR-250, and I'm good to go. I have a zillion other lenses, but those are my utility set.

Some folks love a two-zoom kit (plus a fast prime) of 18-55 or 16-45 plus 55-300. I do most shooting between 35-70mm and find that changing lenses around 50mm is intolerable, which is part of why I love the 18-250, my basic lens. It's also a damn good lens, as well as being so flexible.

I'll suggest that "wanting better glass" leads to stratospheric spending on elite lenses, with results that may be pretty indistinguishable from lower-cost glass. Me, I want DIFFERENT lenses, so I now own many many old cheap manual primes with great ability and character, for a fraction of the cost of new AF lenses. Yes, it's good to have a basic set of good zooms for dynamic situations. And it's also good to have specialty lenses for special circumstances, and to explore old cheap glass.

So, my advice: Shoot the kit lens a lot; learn its strengths and weaknesses; find what focal lengths you use most; note where you wish you had something faster. This will inform your future lens buying. Also, get a cheap old manual prime around 28-35-50mm and learn the joy of twisting the focus ring! Then you can become as warped as I am.
06-12-2011, 09:31 AM   #11
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
THe glass choice depends on your usage. I find the DA* 16-50 and the 50-135 to be great for most applications. The 70-200 works for outdoors. The trio (31, 43, 77) are great for indoors, concerts, etc. The 10-24 is good for landscapes, urban, etc.