Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
11-11-2007, 12:43 PM   #1
Veteran Member

Manual Lens - Macro Suggestions?

Having given up on trying to find any kind of Bellows or set of Extension Tubes that are compatible with the metering facilities of the K100D, have recycled my old Helios bellows from my Chinon CE-4 (bought new and lost to a thief within two years) days (must be twenty years ago...) and attached the smc Pentax M50 f2. Considering what I paid for the lens on eBay, very happy with the cost-effective solution so far. But then my experience is very limited, so wondered if anyone had any suggestions for perhaps a more suitable lens? Or indeed, an exposure meter and technique suitable for macro work? Perhaps someone has sourced some extension tubes or bellows? Whatever, thought I'd start a thread and see what happens.

Thanks to all in advance - oh. and please feel free to let me know if there's a more suitable category for this idiot to post this request within.

11-11-2007, 02:46 PM   #2
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
try to get the SMC-M 100mm F4 lens, relitively inexpensive and a good all around lens
11-14-2007, 04:41 AM   #3
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Thanks Lowell. Have started keeping a look out for one.
11-14-2007, 05:17 AM   #4
Pentaxian
Moderator Emeritus

I use a bellows and added a 135mm f2.8 M series lens that is nice and sharp. Metering is done by the camera and I just take a test shot to see what EV adjustments might be needed. The 135mm gives a good working distance (50mm needs to be too close most of the time) and I can get down to 2:1 at least with that set up. Lowells suggestion of the 100mm is good as well and then you can add that to the bellows if you want. It's a very nice piece of glass with sharp optics.

11-16-2007, 05:11 PM   #5
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Thanks also to you Peter, If I can find them at the right price, will try to get both. (Early signs of LBA?)
11-16-2007, 05:30 PM   #6
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
On my K100D I use a set of Pentax M42 extension tubes that pre-date the introduction of the original Spotmatic. Pentax ain't kiddin' when they talk about backwards compatibility.

I see them up for auction quite regularly.
11-16-2007, 08:29 PM   #7
Pentaxian
Moderator Emeritus

Look for a Vivitar 135mm f2.8 or a Sears (yes I said Sears!)m42 version. You should be able to get either for less than $50.00 and they are nice, fast and sharp lenses. Then get the M42 bellows and a T Mount adapter. This adapter has a screw thread (female) in one end and the K mount on the other to mount to the camera.

Now if you can find a K mount bellows then you can ignore the stuff above and use the lenses you now have mounted straight on the bellows.

C heck the market place here. I seem to remember that JC Sullivan was selling something similar.
11-16-2007, 09:36 PM   #8

good advise as I am also curious on a cost effective means on dabbling into some macro capabilities. Thanks!

I'll see if I can get the Sears or Vivitar off ebay for a decent price - hopefully it doesnt turn into a disaster.

11-17-2007, 06:21 AM   #9
Veteran Member

Like Peter says, check the Marketplace.
Thanks Peter
11-17-2007, 07:56 AM   #10
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Thanks Peter and JC. Only drawback is P+P as am in the UK. Have the K mount bellows, so the lens advice you folk are giving me is very valuable.

QuoteOriginally posted by Mike Cash Quote
On my K100D I use a set of Pentax M42 extension tubes that pre-date the introduction of the original Spotmatic. Pentax ain't kiddin' when they talk about backwards compatibility. I see them up for auction quite regularly.
Have no experience of extension tubes, though guessing they would at least offer a convenience and weight advantage.

Something I haven't mentioned yet is Reversing Ring. Anyone with experience of any?

On the cost-effective front, looks like the Vivitar 135mm PK is leading.

Last edited by bluespearbone; 11-17-2007 at 08:04 AM.
11-17-2007, 09:31 AM   #11
Ole
Administrator

Ordinary lenses are not optimised for macro photo. With you reverse them you get sharper pictures because the distance from the back of the lens to the object now is close to what the lens was designed for.

Can you see the difference? Honestly, I don't know, but the reversing ring is inexpensive so not much is lost trying it out.

There is one down side: The rear of the lens is not dust proof - you can easily get dust and dirt into the lens through "the backdoor".

For use on a bellows you could go look for a 100mm Pentax Bellows lens. It is not to be reverse mounted so you don't have the dust issue.
11-17-2007, 09:56 AM   #12
Veteran Member

Original Poster
As a sample of what am currently getting...

Thanks Ole.

on The K100D: Bellows at 190mm with Pentax M 50mm f2

16min @ f9 lit by domestic tungsten 60W standard lamp directly above.

My rather grubby TV remote control. The individual switch has a width of 5mm. Have tried to correct the colour a little, but no cropping involved.

Last edited by bluespearbone; 02-21-2008 at 10:38 PM.
11-17-2007, 02:55 PM   #13
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Mike Cash Quote
On my K100D I use a set of Pentax M42 extension tubes
Just out of interest, I assume you're using an M42 adapter (OK silly question, you must be). Is it easy to attach the bellows to the camera, does the flash overhang get in the way at all?

Richard