Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
11-11-2007, 02:47 PM   #1
Inactive Account

will the da*50-135 become a '$900 doorstop' when full-frame is released?

i'm seriously thinking of investing the $ in a da*50-135, but i really don't like the thought of getting something this expensive that will become unusable when full-frame (eventually) comes to pentax.

is there a full-frame alternative available that has the same optical magnificence?

cheers.

11-11-2007, 02:52 PM   #2

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by 123K10D Quote
i'm seriously thinking of investing the $ in a da*50-135, but i really don't like the thought of getting something this expensive that will become unusable when full-frame (eventually) comes to pentax.

is there a full-frame alternative available that has the same optical magnificence?

cheers.
MMMMMMM not sure that there is something built into this lens that will make it unusable as soon as a full frame camera is released (if it ever is). If such a thing were to happen, I am sure that there will be thousands of people happily still shooting with their 50 -135 attached to a very competent K10D whilst other are using whatever lens they want with their full frame camera.

Karen
11-11-2007, 03:07 PM   #3
Pentaxian
Moderator Emeritus

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Forget full frame. Pentax has comitted to the current format. Go buy the lens, shoot some great shots and have fun. Or you can sit and wait for the next 2,3,4,5 years.....
11-11-2007, 03:09 PM   #4
m8o
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I personally don't think a full-frame will be coming unless it's a multi-thousand dollar pro model, however I wouldn't buy it if that's wrong and it did come in between $1k & 2K. I appreciate and utilize the 1.5x crop factor of the smaller sensor.

11-11-2007, 04:09 PM   #5
Inactive Account

Original Poster
good points all round.

good points all round. seeing as how there aren't any full-frame lenses in the pentax lens roadmap, i guess i'll take the punt that i'll be able to buy another '1.5 cropping sensor' pentax body for some years to come.

given that it takes a $4000 canon lens to match this $900 pentax, it's pretty much the easiest decision of the year.
11-11-2007, 04:16 PM   #6
DAP

If I were you I would get it without worries. Like the others have mentioned the likelyhood of Pentax producing a FF camera anytime soon is pretty slim. Even if they did I would suspect that they would take a hint from the Nikon D3 and make the camera fully compatible with cropped sensor lenses (very likely seeing as though Pentax makes it a point to be backwards compatible with older manual lenses).
11-11-2007, 04:17 PM   #7

QuoteOriginally posted by 123K10D Quote
good points all round. seeing as how there aren't any full-frame lenses in the pentax lens roadmap, i guess i'll take the punt that i'll be able to buy another '1.5 cropping sensor' pentax body for some years to come.

given that it takes a $4000 canon lens to match this $900 pentax, it's pretty much the easiest decision of the year.
I doubt very much that you will be disappointed with this lens. I have only had it less than a day, but seriously, it is a sensational lens.

Karen

11-11-2007, 04:18 PM   #8
wll
Veteran Member

Digital is not 35mm.

You may not have noticed, but Pentax is making lenses for APS-C sensors size only.

wll
11-11-2007, 06:47 PM   #9
roy
Inactive Account

my main reason for not buying DA lenses.. eventually threre will be a FF. it'll probably have an option to shoot in aps-c format tho.
11-11-2007, 07:30 PM   #10
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Like Jena, I have had my 50-135 for one day and have ''NO'' regrets..My only regeret is not getting it sooner....
11-11-2007, 08:26 PM   #11
Inactive Account

QuoteOriginally posted by roy Quote
my main reason for not buying DA lenses.. eventually threre will be a FF. it'll probably have an option to shoot in aps-c format tho.
This is true. It would be a firmware tweak to extend use of APS-C scaled lenses to a FF sensor. If (when?) Pentax releases a FF, 35mm camera, I'm sure this would be a given feature to accomodate its growing DA line.

Having said that, you would still have the limited visual real estate and would likely use the lens less than FF lenses, at least I know I would. I've resisted the DAs for this reason. There are a lot of FF lens options out there for Pentax, perhaps its worth looking into these instead.
11-12-2007, 01:01 AM   #12
Veteran Member

Haha... so many people stressing about full frame when the reality is it would likely cost so much they couldn't justify/afford it.
11-12-2007, 01:35 AM   #13
Inactive Account

QuoteOriginally posted by SupremeMoFo Quote
Haha... so many people stressing about full frame when the reality is it would likely cost so much they couldn't justify/afford it.
A few years ago most of us couldn't have afforded a 10 megapixel camera
11-12-2007, 01:41 AM   #14
and
Veteran Member

Few years before that I couldnt even afford a dSLR at all.

To OP: I am sure given Pentax's lineup and their tendency for backwards compability, if they did release something with a bigger sensor it would be backwards compatible, probably in a manner similar to the coming Nikon D3.
11-12-2007, 03:46 AM   #15

how many amatuer photgraphers would actually spend the amount that would be required for a full frame camera. I certainly would not. I see this debate as being similar to the old debate in regard to medium format v 35 mm. I stillhave my beloved Pentax 6X7 which I truly love and could not bear to part with, however my Pentax K10D meets all my needs at this time. I can nt see that a full frame sensor will give me something that I would suddenly have to forsake my current sustem for. I also do not forsee an Full Frame Sensor any time soon. Even if this were to occur, does anyone seriously expect that Pentax would abandon the current sensor size, any more that Cannon did following the release of their full frame.

In the menatime I will continue to shoot with my current system, the results of which can be seen here:

Light Force Images - Home
or here
Jenna's Overview - RedBubble