Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
06-13-2011, 03:59 PM   #1

Photos: Albums
Vivitar vs Rokinon 80 F1.4 Pentax mount

I was considering a purchase of this lens from B&H based on the positive review on this forum. I understand that the Rokinon and the Vivitar are essentially the same lens and I also realize there is a discussion thread in the forum on this very issue but the answers were not clear.

I understand that this is a manual focus lens. For using automatic meter functions is there a difference in the Pentax mount between the two? The Vivitar says it's a KA mount and that aperture mode will work when turned to "A" but none of the specs I've read for the Rokinon mention this. Is there a difference?

Thanks for your help.

06-13-2011, 05:55 PM   #2
hcc
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
If the Rokinon does not have the A (automatic aperture) button on the aperture ring, it is is not automatic aperture. The photo on the PF suggest that theRokinon aperture ring does not have A button.
06-13-2011, 06:05 PM   #3
Inactive Account

QuoteOriginally posted by hcc Quote
If the Rokinon does not have the A (automatic aperture) button on the aperture ring, it is is not automatic aperture. The photo on the PF suggest that theRokinon aperture ring does not have A button.
I have the Rokinon version; it has the A setting and is manual focus. It is a very good lens even wide open. Here's a photo (and 100% crop) taken across my dining room table in low light @ 1:1.4 - hand held...K100D.. out-of-the-camera jpg.

One could hardly wish for better cost effectiveness. Check out the smooth Bokeh..not bad Eh?

Last edited by newarts; 06-13-2011 at 06:17 PM.
06-13-2011, 06:09 PM   #4
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Both lenses are made by Samyang and both have automatic aperture. The only difference is the cosmetics.

06-13-2011, 06:33 PM   #5
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by hcc Quote
it has automatic aperture.
06-13-2011, 06:55 PM   #6
Pentaxian

I guess both are same lenses. However, there has been a report of Rockinon/Opteka with non-A mount in other forum so you may want to check with b&H before ordering.
06-13-2011, 07:37 PM   #7
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by yusuf Quote
I guess both are same lenses. However, there has been a report of Rockinon/Opteka with non-A mount in other forum so you may want to check with b&H before ordering.
are there? the only thing I heard something with a Non-A mount is with other camera mounts (non-pk), which require a contact adapter for the A function.
06-13-2011, 09:48 PM   #8
Inactive Account

As far as I know, every Samyang K mount and rebrand of Samyang K mount is auto aperture. I don't believe the Canon or Nikon version has it though since they require more than just shorting a couple contacts in the mount. My 8mm is auto aperture and it works beautifully.

Most of the confusion is retailers using the same picture for all mounts, the Nikon mount is not going to have an A position on the aperture ring.

06-13-2011, 09:56 PM   #9
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by elliott Quote
As far as I know, every Samyang K mount and rebrand of Samyang K mount is auto aperture. I don't believe the Canon or Nikon version has it though since they require more than just shorting a couple contacts in the mount. My 8mm is auto aperture and it works beautifully.

Most of the confusion is retailers using the same picture for all mounts, the Nikon mount is not going to have an A position on the aperture ring.
Yes, I think they would need some electronic relay for auto aperture functionality.
06-14-2011, 06:22 PM   #10

Original Poster
Thanks. That helps clear some of the confusion for me about the re-badged Samyang Pentax mount 85 1.4. There is about a 60 dollar difference between the Rokinon and the Vivitar and Bower versions.
06-14-2011, 08:52 PM   #11
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Buckeye Quote
Thanks. That helps clear some of the confusion for me about the re-badged Samyang Pentax mount 85 1.4. There is about a 60 dollar difference between the Rokinon and the Vivitar and Bower versions.
I think Sakar International, who now owns the Vivitar brand name, is leveraging the positive historical associations with the Vivitar name to charge a higher price while making some small cosmetic changes to the product to mimick the old Vivitar look.

After the founders of Vivitar died, the company went from one owner to another for a while. In 2008 Vivitar was a wholly-owned subsidiary of Syntax-Brillian, who was going bankrupt, and before filing for bankruptcy they sold the Vivitar brand and intellectual property - but not equipment or facilities - to Sakar in a private sale. I guess Sakar needs to make back that brand investment somehow.