Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
11-11-2007, 06:20 PM   #1

24/3.5 Super Tak vs. 24/2.8 Sigma

Alright, I have two, count 'em, two 24mm M42 lenses. As much as I love having extra gear lying around, I see the redundancy in my purchases. One is the Super-Takumar 24mm/3.5 and is in great condition, the other is Sigma-XQ Filtermatic Multi-Coated 24mm/2.8. At first glance, it would seem that the Sigma is the way to go. It's faster, it has built in filters, it is also in excellent condition. My screwmount kit is strictly for black and white documentary work, and the Sigma has made it through a project with me already. So, am I missing something? I haven't shot the same scene with the two lenses side by side or anything...should I? Again both these lenses are great, and I hate to give up a Tak when I know how great they are. The Tak is also smaller and the focus is a bit smoother. I don't know. Any help out there?

11-12-2007, 04:15 AM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Yes, you should test them yourself to see which you like better.
11-12-2007, 07:21 AM   #3
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by cameron.knight Quote
Any help out there?
What are you seeing, exactly? Do you notice a difference in sharpness? Chromatic aberrations? Contrast?

And what exactly are you looking for?

I have a Super-Multi-Coated Takumar 24/3.5 and it is quite soft and prone to chromatic aberrations that get worse at smaller apertures. For that reason I use it almost exclusively for IR photography and casual snapshots but not much else.
11-12-2007, 07:34 AM   #4
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
For your intended purpose, B&W documentary work, the Sigma seems to be the more logical choice since it's a faster lens. If you were working in color, I'd say keep the Takumar so you could keep your color rendition consistant throughout your lenses.

10-03-2022, 01:38 AM   #5

Photos: Albums
I recently acquired the 24mm filtermatic and it is a lot of fun, also solid feel to it and really easy to work with the filters. As a bonus, it is gorgeous to look at.

The metering through the filters requires some correction but that will be with any filter.