Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home
 

Reply
Show Printable Version Search this Thread
06-14-2011, 08:07 PM   #16
Pentaxian
twitch's Avatar

Join Date: Nov 2009
Posts: 4,571
That is a remarkable difference. It's easy to see why the entry level DSLR market may be non-existant in a few years once the EVIL market matures. Once someone builds a MILC with the form factor and controls of a X100, with sorted firmware, and a range of interchangable lenses for it then that will really shake the market up.

06-14-2011, 08:29 PM   #17
Veteran Member
causey's Avatar

Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: Arlington, VA
Photos: Albums
Posts: 3,758
QuoteOriginally posted by twitch Quote
Well I guess I need to sell my DSLR then JHD???

Everyone know size matters, but for lenses the smaller the better IMHO. When I'm reaching for a wide lens 90% of the time I reach for the DA15 simply because I love shooting with it so much, probably because of the size but the feel is better and the DOF scale is nice. The other 10% of the time I use my DA12-24. Nice lens, great IQ, but hoo-hum to use.
I had the Sigma, and it's a very nice lens. As I said, very compact for a zoom. It was a pleasure to shoot with it--unfortunately, my copy had some (admittedly, minor) decentering, so I returned it. If the DA 12-24 is anything like the DA 16-45, then IMO there is no comparison between the way the Sigma 10-20 feels in one's hand and the way the DA 12-24 does. I though the DA 16-45 was ugly, long, heavy. (And although the Sigma is heavier than the DA 16-45, the latter feels heavier because it is a long zoom.) The Sigma doesn't feel plasticky, either. It's like a very large prime (and some Sigma primes are huge).

Last edited by causey; 06-14-2011 at 08:50 PM.
06-14-2011, 08:47 PM   #18
Pentaxian
twitch's Avatar

Join Date: Nov 2009
Posts: 4,571
Maybe I'm not being fair to the DA12-24, it certainly feels a lot better built than the DA 55-300 which really does feel average. Both produce excellent results though even if the "experience" is not like shooting with metal limiteds.
06-14-2011, 08:56 PM   #19
JHD
Veteran Member




Join Date: Jan 2010
Photos: Albums
Posts: 1,407
QuoteOriginally posted by twitch Quote
That is a remarkable difference.
And it weighs next to nothing. It has an APS-C sized image sensor and there are adaptors that pretty much allow you to mount any lens you desire. Here's an extreme case... Sony NEX Talk Forum: Digital Photography Review

I basically use mine for the street and my DSLRs for everything else.

When it comes to long lenses, part of the reason I chose the Sigma 50-150 over the Tamron 70-200 is the size and weight. I can't show the two lenses side by side, but the Sigma is significantly smaller and almost a pound lighter. OTOH with short lenses, size and weight hardly matters to me. I can pack the Sigma 10-20 around just as easily as the DA15.

Reply

Bookmarks
  • Submit Thread to Facebook Facebook
  • Submit Thread to Twitter Twitter
  • Submit Thread to Digg Digg
Tags - Make this thread easier to find by adding keywords to it!
da, image, k-mount, lens, lenses, pentax lens, sigma, size, slr lens
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Stitching as a substitute for UWA Lens? GlennG Digital Processing, Software, and Printing 5 05-07-2011 02:49 AM
One down, WA/UWA to go.. Next lens? Chex Pentax SLR Lens Discussion 38 04-16-2011 09:22 AM
DA* UWA lens??? Loren E Pentax SLR Lens Discussion 11 02-12-2011 03:56 PM
Size does matter... schmik Pentax SLR Lens Discussion 18 04-08-2009 06:28 AM
Who says that size doesn't matter dave kitson Pentax SLR Lens Discussion 8 02-27-2007 06:23 PM



All times are GMT -7. The time now is 07:06 PM. | See also: NikonForums.com, part of our network of photo forums!
  • Red (Default)
  • Green
  • Gray
  • Dark
  • Dark Yellow
  • Dark Blue
  • Old Red
  • Old Green
  • Old Gray
  • Dial-Up Style
Hello! It's great to see you back on the forum! Have you considered joining the community?
register
Creating a FREE ACCOUNT takes under a minute, removes ads, and lets you post! [Dismiss]
Top