Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
06-14-2011, 12:32 PM   #1

Chinon - Chinar connection

I came across an old thread about Chinon glass and found most of the info misleading or incorrect, so I would like to share documentation of the Chinon, Chinar connection. Yes folks they are one in the same. Chinar was distributed from Korea.

06-14-2011, 12:36 PM   #2
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Your comments are ambiguous. However, Chinon has been in the 35mm lens business since at least the late 50s and I assure you their glass was Japanese. In the 80s, several store brands etc. started marketing Korean made glass including sears and k-mart. Sears and K-mart previously marketed Japanese glass under various brands including K-mart's Focal brand.

Chinon made lenses in m42 mount and then k-mount. When they got into auto-focus, the developed their on variation of the mount which isn't compatible with Pentax AF. I bought a new Chinon CP-7m manual focus camera that was feature rich with a 1/2000 shutter in '87. I used my Pentax glass on it though.
06-14-2011, 01:20 PM   #3

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Blue Quote
Your comments are ambiguous. However, Chinon has been in the 35mm lens business since at least the late 50s and I assure you their glass was Japanese. In the 80s, several store brands etc. started marketing Korean made glass including sears and k-mart. Sears and K-mart previously marketed Japanese glass under various brands including K-mart's Focal brand.

Chinon made lenses in m42 mount and then k-mount. When they got into auto-focus, the developed their on variation of the mount which isn't compatible with Pentax AF. I bought a new Chinon CP-7m manual focus camera that was feature rich with a 1/2000 shutter in '87. I used my Pentax glass on it though.
For clarification: The old post stated there was no proof that Chinar and Chinon were related, just similar names.

Having said that: I and many other at Maual Focus Lenses have researched Chinon and have come up empty as far as obtaining varified documentation on the manufacturing of Chinon glass. If you have actual documentation please post it. I and many other would like to view the proof that Chinon manufactured lenses.

We all have opinions, now it's time to post actual documentation.

I look forward to viewing the documents you may have. I would like to share the information with my friends at Manual Focus Lenses.
06-14-2011, 01:25 PM   #4

Blue: If you re-read the OP, he says Chinon was distributed in Korea under the Chinar name. I don't see any reference to where the glass was made. Perhaps you miss-read the post.

Spiralcity: Thanks for the info. Something I did not know.

06-14-2011, 01:33 PM   #5
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by trojancast Quote
Blue: If you re-read the OP, he says Chinon was distributed in Korea under the Chinar name. I don't see any reference to where the glass was made. Perhaps you miss-read the post.

Spiralcity: Thanks for the info. Something I did not know.
I guess you didn't see the ambiguous comment regarding a mystery thread. I didn't misread it, it isn't their. However, Chinon was a Japanese Company.

QuoteOriginally posted by spiralcity Quote
I came across an old thread about Chinon glass and found most of the info misleading or incorrect, so I would like to share documentation of the Chinon, Chinar connection. Yes folks they are one in the same. Chinar was distributed from Korea.
06-14-2011, 01:38 PM   #6

Original Poster
I guess you didn't see the ambiguous comment regarding a mystery thread. I didn't misread it, it isn't their. However, Chinon was a Japanese Company.
It is there, GOOGLE it. It's under osawa lenses not Chinon.

Who ever stated the Japanese connection? My Chinar was DISTRIBUTED from Korea, clearly marked on the box. Actual documentation, not an opinion.

I guess I made it all up huh?

Still waiting on your documents

Here a link to the thread.
https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/pentax-slr-lens-discussion/93270-osawa-lenses.html

Last edited by spiralcity; 06-14-2011 at 01:44 PM.
06-14-2011, 01:40 PM   #7
Site Supporter

For clarification: The old post stated there was no proof that Chinar and Chinon were related, just similar names.

Having said that: I and many other at Maual Focus Lenses have researched Chinon and have come up empty as far as obtaining varified documentation on the manufacturing of Chinon glass. If you have actual documentation please post it. I and many other would like to view the proof that Chinon manufactured lenses.

We all have opinions, now it's time to post actual documentation.

I look forward to viewing the documents you may have. I would like to share the information with my friends at Manual Focus Lenses.
I tell you what, show me the proof that they didn't. There are other companies that were small and manufacturing data are limited for as well including Mamiya. However, there are plenty of Chinon lenses in m42 and K-mount that have "Made in Japan" on them.

06-14-2011, 01:51 PM   #8

Original Poster
I tell you what, show me the proof that they didn't. There are other companies that were small and manufacturing data are limited for as well including Mamiya. However, there are plenty of Chinon lenses in m42 and K-mount that have "Made in Japan" on them.

I figured as much.

You think because you been around this forum for a long time that you know more than others.

I showed you, why cant you show me? LEARN TO READ, do you not know the meaning of distribute?

WHY ARE YOU STUCK ON THIS JAPAN THING! JAPAN IS NOT THE ISSUE.

Proof that Chinon manufactured glass is not to be found.

I know, because we have researched every angle already and came up empty.

I want the proof in writing, opinions mean nothing.

If you do have proof I will be a very happy person. I am a believer that Chinon did manufature lenses, but i cant prove it and Im tired of arguing with others about it.

Last edited by spiralcity; 06-14-2011 at 02:01 PM.
06-14-2011, 02:04 PM   #9
Site Supporter

I figured as much.

You think because you been around this forum for a long time that you know more than others.

I showed you, why cant you show me? LEARN TO READ, do you not know the meaning of distribute?

WHY ARE YOU STUCK ON THIS JAPAN THING! JAPAN IS NOT THE ISSUE.

If you do have proof I will be a very happy person. I am a believer that Chinon did manufature lenses, but i cant prove it and Im tired of arguing with others about it.
I am not stuck on the Japan thing, that is where they started and the remnants of the company owned by Kodak.

Chinon - Camera-wiki.org - The free camera encyclopedia

http://photoguide.jp/txt/PhotoHistory_1940s

QuoteQuote:
1943 Chino Hirishi established Sanshin Seisakusho which, in 1973, became Chinon Industries. The company makes lens barrels and mounts for cameras such as Olympus, Ricoh, and Yashica. It would be 11 more years before the company would make its first lenses. the company was killed off by hostile takover by kodak in 1997 when they finally gained a 50.1% share holding. (Laws were enacted in the US but not Japan to prevent Kodak’s habit of buying and killing companies. Agfa and Gaevert merged to prevent a hostile Kodak takeover, as did Ciba and Ilford; others were not so lucky.)
as per http://photodevoto.wordpress.com/2010/09/02/known-history-of-photography-a-timeline/

Edit: Where in the post above did I indicate that I know more than anyone? Where at mflenses did I indicate that?

Last edited by Blue; 06-14-2011 at 02:10 PM.
06-14-2011, 02:29 PM   #10
Site Supporter

It is there, GOOGLE it. It's under osawa lenses not Chinon.

Who ever stated the Japanese connection? My Chinar was DISTRIBUTED from Korea, clearly marked on the box. Actual documentation, not an opinion.

I guess I made it all up huh?

Still waiting on your documents

Here a link to the thread.
https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/pentax-slr-lens-discussion/93270-osawa-lenses.html
When you post a vague comment about a thread, one shouldn't have to google it especially for a thread title "Osawa Lenses." Furthermore, I wasn't addressing your Chinar for korea, just the fact you appeared to be implying that Chinon lenses were of Korean origin.
06-14-2011, 03:34 PM   #11
Veteran Member

This thread is dumb and to be honest fairly uninteresting...

Blue... Spiralcity is obviously 'trolling' you... Don't rise...
10-05-2022, 11:22 AM   #12
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Chinon manufactured for example the very last version of "Kern Macro-Switar 50/1.9" which ​​is M42 screwmount.
Only 83 were produced worldwide (and almost all sold in Switzerland, so not very well known, it also was very expensive, i.e. SFR 1500!)
It actually was based on the same lens body as the famous Chinon Japan made 50mm/1.7 Macro (not a true Macro but at least nice 1:3)
Also Chinon Japan made the 55/1,7 Macro and ... if I remember rightly, the very first AF-lens with inbuilt motor.

I know it is an old thread but ended with speculative arguments based on... well.... "pouring empty into the void"

It is the same empty arguments about Chinar: Chinar belonged to Chinon, yes, but it isn't the same as when Leitz had R-lenses made in Canada, they were made according to the same formulas as the German Leitz lenses.

Chinar lenses have nothing to do with Chinon lenses made in Japan, but.... not all Chinon made in Japan lenses were made by Chinon... that we do know for sure.

So ... Chinar belonged to Chinon as Seat to Volkswagen, and yet, Seat isn't Volkswagen but used VW knowledge and technology.

Last edited by photogem; 10-05-2022 at 11:28 AM.