Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
11-11-2007, 06:44 PM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
help me decide....

I am quite happy with my k10d and the kit lens, and I have also a manual 50mm f1.4 prime, but I want to add some glass and I am going back and forth on what to buy....

I'd like to keep the expenses to somewhere around 750, and I've considered the following (partly based on reviews, partly based on the images I've seen posted)

1-the DA 50-200MM. I like the kit lens IQ, but I am also used to point and shoot stuff, so to that extent, it doesn't take much to make me happy. That said, for the price, everyone who has this lens seems to love it, and I definetly have a void in the upper end of things.

2-the pFA- 75-300MM. Could get this in addition to, or instead of, choice 1. I know it's cheap, but i;ve liked the images I've seen, and most people like it as a good bang for the buck. I don't expect to need the range all day-every day, but it would be nice to have
http://www.beachcamera.com/shop/product.aspx?sku=PKFA75300S

3-This was a new addition to my list, but I do love the super-wide shots, and the images this lens has produced wow me.
http://www.beachcamera.com/shop/product.aspx?sku=PKDA1017

4-after the reviews and images, I've begun to consider skipping all 3 and going for the 50-135 that just came out, even though its a bit more than I wanted to spend...except, I really think I would miss the top end.

was also considering the 18-250 that is due out or just came out, but I haven't seen enough and heard enough to be convinced it would be worthwhile.

thoughts? recommendations? I definetly don't feel the need to invest heavily in the top end stuff, as while I know it will look nice, it may be more than i need at the moment.

thanks for any feedback or recommendations!

11-11-2007, 07:17 PM   #2
Inactive Account

Probably won't help but I have the 50-135 and I love it, however, I do need to switch to my Tamron 70-300 for about 10% of my shots. Doesn't sound like much, but if I didn't have the Tamron there would be a void in my day.

The 50-135 is sweet though. I paid about $835 to my door.

Tom
11-11-2007, 07:37 PM   #3
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Boy, tHAT 50-135 is going to be tough to beat..I am very happy with mine...
Fortunatly I have a few bodies, so today I went out with my K10D and the 50-135 mounted and my K100super I had my Tamron 18-250...That covered everything for me today.
11-11-2007, 08:01 PM   #4
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Here are some pics I took today with my K100Dsuper and tamron 18-250mm LENS..Notice how sharp it is at both ends and also keep in mind it was a dark gloomy day outside...Check the exif data..

Last edited by jgredline; 11-12-2007 at 09:44 AM.
11-12-2007, 09:40 AM   #5
Veteran Member

Original Poster
those pictures just make the decision that much harder LOL.

I think what I am leaning to do, is the 50-200 and the super wide angle fish eye, because I think, at least it's my current hunch, that it will be the better investment at the moment. Not that I think that the fish eye is a better lens than the 50-135---just that for my most frequent subjects-my children-I think that I won't be using or needing the longer reach as frequently just yet. At 19 months old, they aren't in any sports yet So daddy doesn't have to stay on the sidelines and need the reach.

Plus, at that age, when I am on the floor trying to take their pictures, they like to touch. I think if I spent that much on the highest end glass, I'd be too nervous sometimes that they'd try and play with it! Though, it does make for some interesting shots, 3 babies all coming at you, knowing that they tend to stop by crashing into things. Like daddy

Plus, for the price of the 50-135, I could have three lenses now (with one of the three being "better" quality glass). Then perhaps in a few months or longer, I may opt to add better/best glass at the longer range, depending on what's out or what can be found. But whether it's heavy PP or good photographers or both, the images I've seen from the 130 dollar 75-300 and the 225 dollar 50-200, I'd be quite proud to admit to taking them. So, while you get what you pay for, if the IQ on the "lower" end stuff is that good....no wonder the nearly thousand dollar glass is so gorgeous!
11-12-2007, 09:57 AM   #6
and
Veteran Member

I dont think the 75-300 seems so good, but the 50-200 seems very nice. and the fisheye is relly nice, even has a metal lenscap. stay away from the 50-135 for now, its very expensive and offers limited range. of course its nice but you are leaning towards the more sensible option here i think
11-12-2007, 02:41 PM   #7
Veteran Member

Original Poster
I did grab the 50-200--its the curse of being nearby to a decent camera store in NYC. This isnt b and h or adorama, and for a few lenses I wouldn't even think of buying there, but the price on this one was the same as most other places, so I was fine with that (and it was an instant gratification/lunch purchase).

Now, just wondering...if you had to choose between the 10-17 fisheye, and say, the Pentax SMCP-FA 21mm f/3.2 AL Wide Angle Auto Focus Limited Edition Lens - Black or another similar wide/ultra wide lens (but no fisheye) which would you do?

My impression is that at certain focus, the 10-17 doesn't exhibit much fisheye--and the images I've seen from it look nice, so I am not too worried. Some looked to have "more" of a fisheye effect than others.
Just worried that while I will like it, certain others (wife etc) won't think of it in the same way, so perhaps I am best served with a wide-angle-only lense? I may eventually get both (LBA, and I am so new to this !!) but for right now, I'd prefer only one lens. Which actually has me considering wide-angle only, unless my above impression about varying degrees of "fisheye" is correct.

thanks!

11-12-2007, 04:10 PM   #8
and
Veteran Member

You know you can use software such as PTLens to correct the distortions of the fisheye, making it a bit less wide, but corrected like a rectilinear wide angle. Best of both worlds?

You canot really compare it to the DA 21, the fisheye is a tiny bit wider at 17mm than the Pentax 12-24mm is at 12mm. So the DA21 is like a Normal lens in comparison.
The photozone review has an example of correcting an image, if you look near the bottom of the test
Pentax SMC DA 10-17mm f/3.5-4.5 ED[IF] Fisheye - Photozone Review / Test Report
11-12-2007, 04:22 PM   #9
Veteran Member

Original Poster
was not aware of PT Lens, but yes it may be the best of both worlds actually.

And i think the lens alternative I was falling for in the photo galleries was the 12-24 limited, which I think is nearly double the fisheye cost. big difference LOL
11-12-2007, 06:41 PM   #10
Veteran Member

There's also the DA14, at about $600...