Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
06-14-2011, 10:15 PM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
FA43 Frustration

A while ago, I posted about my problem of asymmetrical aperture blades upon stopping down with my FA43. Basically, from f2-f3.5, the blades don't stop down evenly - one side doesn't stop down enough (or the other side stops down too much, I'm not sure). This results in half-smooth, half-jagged bokeh circles in those apertures.

Now, I live in Canada but bought it from B&H. So off the bat, I'm not sure if I'm supposed to send it to Pentax Canada or Pentax USA for repair. Either way, what with summer approaching, I'm loathe to send off my otherwise favorite lens for what will likely be a one or two month turnaround (if the stories are correct.) There's always the option of DIY repair, which forum member wlachan graciously offered to help me with last time, but the thought of opening up a $500 lens is rather daunting, whether I do it or not.

And therein lies my frustration. I like this lens, I really do. It doesn't focus consistently all the time, but the images are great. But for what should be a premium lens that I paid premium cost for, I don't see why I should have to deal with such quality control issues. Urgh. I've considered selling/trading it off too, which is a little unethical, but lets me indulge in other lenses I've been looking at, but the FA43 fills my needs pretty well....save this huge niggle.

Any thoughts?

06-14-2011, 10:28 PM   #2
Site Supporter

Please don't misunderstand, I am not having a go at you, but as I see it, if it needs repair, and you aren't game enough, or knowledgeable enough to do a DIY job, I can't see any alternatives for you.

Either you send it in, and miss for it 6 or 8 weeks or whatever, ( and that is a real PIA)
or you dispose of it for something else, but who to?, or advertise with the problem and lose a stack on the deal.

I think your choices are a bit limited, but I wish you best of luck with the situation.
06-14-2011, 11:37 PM   #3
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
My FA43 AF quite reliability against other primes I have. Maybe you should just seek for an exchange from B&H. The process is rather painless. But if you are the adventurous type, I can always fix the aperture for you, or at least improving it if not perfect. Should take 2 days, or a week at the most if I will be busy. Maybe you can show me how it looks one stop down. BTW, Pentax Canada will charge you a fixed fee since the lens was bought from the US. You can look it up at their website.

Last edited by wlachan; 06-14-2011 at 11:54 PM.
06-15-2011, 03:40 AM   #4
Ash
Community Manager
Loyal Site Supporter

It's too delicate to do it yourself, unless you're a technician in the field.
Have it sent in if you confirm it has an issue.
You don't have much of a choice, as Bruce says.

06-15-2011, 04:23 AM   #5
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by jaieger Quote
A while ago, I posted about my problem of asymmetrical aperture blades upon stopping down with my FA43. Basically, from f2-f3.5, the blades don't stop down evenly - one side doesn't stop down enough (or the other side stops down too much, I'm not sure). This results in half-smooth, half-jagged bokeh circles in those apertures.

Now, I live in Canada but bought it from B&H. So off the bat, I'm not sure if I'm supposed to send it to Pentax Canada or Pentax USA for repair. Either way, what with summer approaching, I'm loathe to send off my otherwise favorite lens for what will likely be a one or two month turnaround (if the stories are correct.) There's always the option of DIY repair, which forum member wlachan graciously offered to help me with last time, but the thought of opening up a $500 lens is rather daunting, whether I do it or not.

And therein lies my frustration. I like this lens, I really do. It doesn't focus consistently all the time, but the images are great. But for what should be a premium lens that I paid premium cost for, I don't see why I should have to deal with such quality control issues. Urgh. I've considered selling/trading it off too, which is a little unethical, but lets me indulge in other lenses I've been looking at, but the FA43 fills my needs pretty well....save this huge niggle.

Any thoughts?
Pentax Canada usually honours a US bought lens.

DIY is a silly option IMNSHO.

Send it in ASAP and have it ready for the Fall colours at the very least.
06-15-2011, 08:00 AM   #6
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Appreciate the comments, all. It's nice to know my options I guess.

I couldddd try talking to B&H, but I bought the lens all the way back in March, so I doubt they'll be able to do anything for me. And likely I'll have to give Pentax Canada a call.

Worst case scenario, I lose my normal lens for the summer and become damn good with my 15? :T. Though I've been thinking about trading off the 43 and 100 for a 31 and DA* 55..........
06-15-2011, 12:37 PM   #7
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by jaieger Quote
Appreciate the comments, all. It's nice to know my options I guess.

I couldddd try talking to B&H, but I bought the lens all the way back in March, so I doubt they'll be able to do anything for me. And likely I'll have to give Pentax Canada a call.

Worst case scenario, I lose my normal lens for the summer and become damn good with my 15? :T. Though I've been thinking about trading off the 43 and 100 for a 31 and DA* 55..........
Be very careful with the DA*55. It can be a focusing nightmare. Not only do I speak from personal experience, but dpreview reported the same thing in their formal testing of the lens. I realize that there probably are some perfect focusing copies out there, but you have to be lucky to get one. When I finally gave up on that lens in frustration, I got an FA43, which I consider to be a superior lens overall and just as useful for portraits.

For more detailed information, read my review of the DA*55 in the Lens Review section of Pentax Forums.

Rob

Last edited by robgo2; 06-15-2011 at 12:45 PM.
06-15-2011, 01:33 PM   #8
Site Supporter

Ask BH also.

Edit: Disregard that. I just realize it has probably been more than 30 days.