Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
06-15-2011, 07:14 AM   #16
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Northern Soul Quote
True - hence the 85mm f2.2 soft lens

That said, if you start with a sharp image you can always soften in in PP. You can't do much to sharpen a soft image though, so I'd lean towards getting the sharpest starting image.
True, I'm still getting used to the switch to digital........softening is easy in PP and sharpening can make pictures look sort of cartoonish.

06-15-2011, 08:00 AM - 1 Like   #17

QuoteOriginally posted by sany Quote
Thanks All!
My original intention for starting the thread was to find out stopping the f1.x lens to f2.x readings will it still retain its title as a fast lens and for low light if not can the same job be done by lens with max aperture at f2.x.
Hi Sany,

there is one general advantage of an f1.x lens stopped down to f2.x, compared to a lens of the same focal length with maximum aperture of f2.x. The image quality of most lenses improves significantly when stopped down 1 or 2 stops from maximum. So the image quality from a 50mm/f1.4 stopped down to f2.0 may be better (sharper, less vignetting etc) than a 50mm/f2.0 wide open.

Also, in extremely low light you still have the option of shooting wide open. The lens may not produce it's sharpest images, but at least you can get the shot!

Personally, for portraits I use either 85/1.4, 50/1.7 or 77/1.8 and stop down to f2.0.

This generally provides sufficient centre sharpness (particularly on the eyes) but still very shallow DOF and nice background bokeh.

Of course this is all matter of personal preference. There are plenty of f2.4 and 2.8 lenses that can produce beautiful portraits. A fast f stop is just one factor.

Have fun!

Last edited by Kennod; 06-15-2011 at 08:07 AM.
06-15-2011, 09:23 PM   #18
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Northern Soul Quote
I find my 18-55 kit too long at 55mm in my house unless it's just head and shoulders
Well yes, but, that's kind of the short working definition of "portrait", is it not? Obviously 70mm isn't a good general purpose lens on APS-C, but for portraits specifically, I think the bathrooms are the only rooms in my house that are too small for a portrait at 70mm.