Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
06-15-2011, 12:23 PM   #1

Hanimex SLR lens?

Hi! I am pretty new to lenses and still not sure which lenses will work and won't work. I came across this ad on Craigslist and was wondering if it'd work on my Pentax K-x.... anyone know, or can tell me what to look for?

Here is what the ad says if you don't want to open the link
"Hanimex Automatic 1:2.8 135mm SLR Camera Lens No. 148950. With a Hanimex Tele Zoom Lens. Both are screw mount."

Hanimex Lens

Thanks!!!

06-15-2011, 12:33 PM   #2

Photos: Gallery | Albums
That brand is not the greatest. Being a screw mount it will fit but with restrictions. I would look at something a bit better in quality myself. I would be looking at the A-series lenses at least so you get the use of the automated features the K-r has. The F series lenses have the autofocus so you get the complete package that will work on the K-r.

Anything before these lenses will work but with restrictions as listed on lens compatablity list that is on this sight.
06-15-2011, 12:39 PM   #3

Original Poster
Hmm I don't like the sound of 'with restrictions' so I will stay away from that!!!

There is one more, I am looking at. It is a full camera with a lens.... How do you know which SLR lenses will work on the K-x? It is a Pentax K1000 with an 80-200 mm lens (I need a good zoom lens)...

http://oklahomacity.craigslist.org/pho/2441844851.html

Last edited by gotmeanick; 06-15-2011 at 12:44 PM.
06-15-2011, 01:32 PM   #4
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
I got a Haminex M42 from a guy on CL in the free section last year? (35-75MM) It was in pristine shape for good reason. I might as well be shooting with the bottom of a coke bottle for all it's worth.

It did come with both caps and an extra lens case that worked very nicely for a good M42 I had none for. The accessories were actually better than the lens. I'm actually saving it in case I get brave and want to try a lens modification some day. I suppose the mount will come in handy but the lens is total junk, probably the worst lens I've ever seen.

When I looked it up most of the Haminex lenses I could find reviews for were so-so to pretty bad. Doesn't look like they made very good lenses, period. I suppose there could be exceptions to the rule, but I doubt it.

06-15-2011, 02:32 PM   #5
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
I have a Hanimex 135mm f2.8 I bought many, many years ago to go with a Praktica LTL. It was barely adequate, but cheap. Using screw mount lenses with any K mount camera is a pain in the lower regions! The auto diaphragm goes away, the adaptor had better be good or it can be hard to remove from the body, setting the exposure is frustrating ... the list goes on and on.

While I have used the adaptor to mount a lovely old Tamron 200mm f3.5, I would recommend AGAINST buying a 42mm screw lens unless it is a real gem, which the Hanimex isn't.

BTW, not all K-mount lenses will mount to a Pentax digital! I have a Sigma 70-200 zoom which works beautifully on my LX, but will not mount on my K10d. There are tales of mounting a Ricoh K mount variant onto a Pentax and being unable to remove it. Be careful out there....

Stevebike suggests the A series lenses; good advice, especially if you can change out the view screen to provide a focus aid like microprisms and/or split image. I have an A series 50mm f1.2 which is very nice to use after getting a KatzEye screen.

For used gear I've been happy with KEH, B & H, and Adorama. They know their stuff, and can probably help you make a good choice. Paying a little more is worth it for easy returns, etc.

Just my opinions, YMMV.
06-15-2011, 10:05 PM   #6
Veteran Member

Hannes Import-Export (HanImEx) was an Australian marketing firm that brought East German and cheap Oriental photo products to the Western world, many decades ago. Some Hamimex lenses are OK to good. Most... leave a bit to be desired. (I've sold most of mine.) If they're under US$5, go for it!

Screwmount lenses aren't terribly difficult to use on modern dSLRs. But it's best to start with decent PK mount lenses, then work your way into the M42's after you get some experience. And keep asking questions here!
06-15-2011, 11:44 PM   #7
Veteran Member

Yes, I'm afraid Hanimex lenses, particularly the zooms, were, without exception, d*gs. The 135 probably isn't too bad (no-one is going to get a 135 badly wrong), but there are many 135 alternatives available which will be really decent lenses.

If you're really after a cheap-but-good manual-focus telephoto zoom, then I would suggest something from the Pentax M or A range. Or possibly an early-ish Vivitar Series 1 or a Tokina (I remember reviews from the early 80s, and the Tokinas were always nearly up with the Pentaxes, Olympuses and Nikons).

If you do end up with a vintage tele-zoom, you'll probably be scratching your head as to what focal-length to enter when you switch the camera on (assuming you have SR enabled). Don't worry, just tell it 100mm, and you'll be well catered for whatever you set the zoom to. (I'm assuming something like a 75-150 or 70-200.)