Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
06-15-2011, 02:30 PM   #1

Suggestions on finding the Matched 1:1 Macro Adapter for Cosina 100mm f/3.5 Macro?

I recently bought a Cosina (branded as Vivitar) 100mm f/3.5 Macro lens, used, and I'm pretty sure it is not coming with the 1:1 matched adapter. I've tried hunting around ebay and places on the web for one, but it's very hard to find one since there are other items by the name "macro adapter". I either end up with too many results, or if I'm more specific (adding things like "cosina" or "matched" in the search), I just get info on the actual lens.

any advice on a website or store to check with to find one of these?

thank you!

06-15-2011, 02:33 PM   #2

Original Poster
man, I'm an idiot. as soon as I post this I found one. a bit pricy at $20, but it might be my best bet... if anybody has ideas on where else to find one for cheaper, let me know!
06-15-2011, 03:33 PM   #3
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
$20 is cheap. The diopter is excellent. I can't notice any degradation of quality with mine.
06-15-2011, 04:31 PM   #4
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
an extension tube will do.

06-16-2011, 09:19 AM   #5

Original Poster
thanks for the input. if you think $20 is a good price, I'll go for it.

I've heard over and over that extension tubes cause problems with focusing and image quality, so I'd prefer not to use that if I don't have to.
06-16-2011, 10:19 AM   #6
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by pentaxk1000denver Quote
thanks for the input. if you think $20 is a good price, I'll go for it.

I've heard over and over that extension tubes cause problems with focusing and image quality, so I'd prefer not to use that if I don't have to.
problem with IQ is not true. it doesn't distort any of the image nor degrade it since all it did is increase the separation/distance between sensor and the lens which increases magnification and ables you to focus closer. the only downside is you lose some light which is normal due to the distance, which makes it tougher task to compose and using a flash or strong light source a necessity. you also lose infinity focus, but same can be said with macro adapter. usually macros with bellows or extension tubes are used on a tripod with a focusing rail. shooting macros can be a lot of work. for me, it's either I'm using a tripod or doing handheld, yet still it's a lot of work.

here is a recent unfinalized project sample that I have.

06-16-2011, 12:05 PM   #7
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I have a Cosina with the oem adapter but I prefer using extension tubes with it rather than the 1:1 adapter.
Pictures of my setup are in the 'macro by any means necessary' lens club.
06-18-2011, 07:56 AM   #8

Original Poster
well I guess extension tube is my only option. I guess I waited too long. I tried to ask that seller if there were scratches on the lens, item sells before they respond :0( (if somebody here snagged it, I hope you really needed it).

when buying an extension tube, is it worth the money to buy name brand, or will I get what I need with a $10 budget tube? I shoot 100% manual (with a k1000 film camera), if that helps at all. thanks.

06-18-2011, 08:12 AM   #9
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by pentaxk1000denver Quote
well I guess extension tube is my only option. I guess I waited too long. I tried to ask that seller if there were scratches on the lens, item sells before they respond :0( (if somebody here snagged it, I hope you really needed it).

when buying an extension tube, is it worth the money to buy name brand, or will I get what I need with a $10 budget tube? I shoot 100% manual (with a k1000 film camera), if that helps at all. thanks.
it's just an empty hollow tube. it shouldn't command a premium even if it is branded one or not.
06-18-2011, 09:33 AM   #10

Original Poster
that's what I figured, just making sure. thanks for the help and advice, I will scoop up a tube and see how it goes. just looking through the lens and focusing with the regular 1:2 magnification, I can tell I definitely need more magnification to get a good macro shot.
06-18-2011, 02:41 PM   #11
Veteran Member

I'm not familiar with that lens, so I'll ask: Is it A-type? That is, does it have aperture-info contacts on the lens base? If so, one or two cheap old A-type teleconverters (maybe US$20 each on eBay) with the glass removed will be just dandy as extension. If not, then plain-vanilla el-cheapo PK macro tubes (under US$10 per set, shipped from China) are super-duper.

Name brands are irrelevant. As Pentaxor noted, they're just hollow tubes, nothing else. Funny thing: Some people DO pay a premium for name brands. I've bought no-name M42 tubes for US$5 per set, and sold EXACTLY THE SAME but with a Sears badge (and box) for US$30! "Look honey, I finally got the Sears macro tubes I've wanted for so long!" Go figure.