Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
06-15-2011, 07:56 PM   #1
Inactive Account

Photos: Gallery
zuiko lens

I was digging around in my closet today and found two lenses i had back in the 70's.
I think. Never used them.
One is a zuiko f1.8 50mm lens and one is a soligor 300mm f4.5 for olympus mount. I bought the camera and the lens came with it. But used the camra for astro photography and never used the lens.

Is that a good lens? If so can i convert it to pentax for manual 50mm lens?

Thanks

06-15-2011, 08:12 PM   #2
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
That 50mm is a good lens. However, it is probably not worth the trouble and effort to convert to k-mount. Zeitax has mounts but that would probably be ~ $65 + shipping from Portugal (I think). The other option would be to use it on a m 4/3, NEX, NX 100 etc. I can't say much about the Soligor but definitely wouldn't bother with a Leitax. Those are reversible solutions for something like the OM 18/3.5 28/2, 50/1.2, 100/2 etc.
06-15-2011, 08:21 PM   #3
Veteran Member

I have modded a couple of OM-mount lenses to force-fit onto PK cameras. It's a simple and pretty painless process, especially with the splendid 50/21.8. It is also non-destructive in that the lens can still be used on OM mounts. I do *NOT* recommend trying to mod a 300mm lens, as its length and weight won't really be stable.

I've documented the mod a couple times here but I can't find those posts right now. The problem is that the bayonet flags on the OM lens are slightly too thick to fit under the lugs on the PK mount. My solution is to use a Dremel metal-cutting disc to taper the leading edge of those OM flags. Look at the lens base -- you'll see that one lug has a notch in it, near its leading edge. The other two flags should be tapered back about 10mm so they can wedge under the PK lugs.

Before cutting, I recommend getting an ultra-cheap set (<US$10 shipped) of PK macro tubes. These have screw-together male and female mount sections, and extension sections. Fit the OM lens into the female mount section, and you can see where the flags and lugs interact.

With the OM bayonet flags tapered, the lens will force-fit onto a PK mount, but it won't be really secure. This can be fixed by cutting a slot into the lens base at the appropriate place for the PK mount locking pin to engage. The slot should be 1mm deep and wide, and ~6mm long. I usually use a worn-down Dremel metal-cutting disc to avoid making the slot too long. Good luck!
06-15-2011, 10:27 PM   #4
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I have converted one lens using the Leitax K mount - a Contax Carl Zeiss. I justified it by comparing the purchase price + mount cost + conversion to be less than a new Zeiss ZK lens or a Pentax FA Limited - equivalent lens quality. Actually is was about 1/3 the price - primary due to the high costs of the comparable lens. The conversion turned out very well, and I really like the outcome. Personally, I would do it again - given that the economics were judged to be the same.

Here is the link to the Zuko to Pentax K mount conversion by Leitax. Its 62 euros or $88 USD.Having said all of that, a new Zuiko f1.8 50mm lens goes for about $120. A new Pentax 50mm f1.4 goes for $299. If you convert it, it would still be an all manual lens, manual aperture and manual focus. You can pick up an equivalent Pentax M 50mm f1.7 on ebay for about $90 or a bit more than just the Leitax K mount. I guess it comes down to the character of the Zuko images.

The only person that can determine the worth is you.....

06-16-2011, 06:09 PM   #5
Inactive Account

Original Poster
Good info guys.. Thanks for the help. I will ponder it. Maybe go with a used 50mm pentax. If I can find one.
06-16-2011, 11:56 PM   #6

Check out Buy & Sell New & Used Cameras ? Canon, Nikon, Hasselblad, Leica & More - KEH.com. I believe you can get a Pentax M 50 1.7 starting at around $50 these days.
06-17-2011, 06:19 AM   #7
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by interested_observer Quote
Having said all of that, a new Zuiko f1.8 50mm lens goes for about $120.
Do you mean a new Zuiko for m4/3 cameras? I got an old Zuiko OM Auto-S 50/1.8 for under US$20 (shipped) not so long ago.