Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
06-16-2011, 06:06 AM   #1

Flea market bargain

To be able to find old lenses for a reasonable price that I can easily use on my DLSR is one of the main reasons why I went the K-mount route. I have for years been looking for older second hand prime lenses to use with my Samsung GX-20 ( the K20Dís syster model).

Iím not that keen on buying vintage lenses online since I want to see them with my own eyes before I make a deal so Iíve had to rely on scavenging flea markets and second hand shops or online ads where I can go and meet the seller in person. I've not had much luck with those options of finding lenses since Pentax isnít that big in Sweden due to Canikon being the mainstreamís camera of choice.

However, last weekend I went to a flea market and spotted an SLR and some lenses at a distance on a table. I pinched my arm when I saw that it was a Pentax ME bundled with three lenses

Itís fun to own a ME but that camera will be nothing more than a interior ornament in my flat. My main focus was on the three K-mount prime lenses. I asked the seller what he wanted for the lot. He said 300 SEK (46 USD). I asked him if he knew that they were in a working order, he didnít. I used that as a reason to haggle down the price a bit to 200 SEK (31 USD).

All the lenses work flawlessly and they seem to be in good condition.
Takumar 135mm F2.5,
Smc Pentax-M 50mm F1.7
Smc Pentax-M 135mm F3.5

Having in mind that all those lenses can cost more than 100 USD each on ebay if in mint condition Iíd say that it was money well spent!

06-16-2011, 06:09 AM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Well done!

I'm still looking, but somewhere my bargain is out there, just waiting for me.

At our local car boot sale I was quoted £20 ($32 US) for a third party m42 80-200 zoom with paint splashed on the rear element. Another seller wanted £60 ($97 US) for the A version of your 50mm, so I'm still looking!

Have fun with them
06-16-2011, 06:24 AM   #3
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Excellent find! I've never seen Pentax mount lenses at any flea market or yard sale. I did receive 3 manual primes as a gift (sisters father-in-law gave them to his son and they did not want to mess with an old film SLR). Have fun, you'll enjoy them.
06-16-2011, 06:43 AM   #4
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Congratulations on a great find. You post reads like you bought them on blind faith (didn't know if they worked or not). If so, you might want to read this forum article to help you when you search for these nuggets of gold.

https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/pentax-lens-articles/59245-pawnshop-lense...ers-guide.html

I always carry a small flashlight when I look at used lenses to help with my evaluation.

Tim

06-16-2011, 07:46 AM   #5
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Docrwm Quote
I've never seen Pentax mount lenses at any flea market or yard sale.
You can blame me for that. Whatever camera system I have at any given time is the hardest to find lenses for. A couple of years ago when I had a Nikon 35mm setup, I ran across PK mount lenses often. Now that I'm a Pentax shooter, I'm finding more Minolta-mount lenses than anything else.

In the last year, I've seen exactly one PK lens in a thrift. Which is weird, because back in the 80s, Pentax was everywhere. All of the camera stores sold them, (they had far more Pentax than anything else.) and 2/3rds of the people I knew with SLRs had a Pentax. Back then, you could close your eyes, spin around & spit, and hit a PK mount lens.

Cheers,
Bobbo :-)
06-16-2011, 07:55 AM   #6
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by GibbyTheMole Quote
You can blame me for that. Whatever camera system I have at any given time is the hardest to find lenses for. A couple of years ago when I had a Nikon 35mm setup, I ran across PK mount lenses often. Now that I'm a Pentax shooter, I'm finding more Minolta-mount lenses than anything else.

In the last year, I've seen exactly one PK lens in a thrift. Which is weird, because back in the 80s, Pentax was everywhere. All of the camera stores sold them, (they had far more Pentax than anything else.) and 2/3rds of the people I knew with SLRs had a Pentax. Back then, you could close your eyes, spin around & spit, and hit a PK mount lens.

Cheers,
Bobbo :-)
I know what you mean. I was lucky enough to receive 3 M's from my sister because her Father-in-Law dumped his old SLR gear on them as a "gift". The 135/3.5 has ALL the materials with it, including the little foil price stand for $175, and appeared to have never been mounted on a camera when I received it! Love the built in hood and the overall construction of it too!
06-16-2011, 08:26 AM   #7
Pentaxian

Flea markets are the best. I once scored a Super program, A50 f1,4, and AF280T flash )along with some filters) for 10$...
06-16-2011, 08:33 AM   #8

Now you can turn around and try and sell them on Ebay for 5 times their value like everyone else! :-)

That's a great find btw. I have not been so lucky.

06-16-2011, 09:08 AM   #9
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by bdery Quote
Flea markets are the best. I once scored a Super program, A50 f1,4, and AF280T flash )along with some filters) for 10$...
Show off!
06-17-2011, 02:56 PM   #10
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Northern Soul Quote
Show off!
I am a bit, at that

There have been countless empty-handed returns from flea markets, however...