Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
11-13-2007, 03:54 PM   #16
Forum Member

Original Poster

Staff note: This post may contain affiliate links, which means Pentax Forums may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. If you would like to support the forum directly, you may also make a donation here.

I know when I first posted this, I was talking about unanswered questions and blurred pics and or descriptions from seller. I just got a horrible rude answer from a seller when I asked about taking US Postal Money orders, he was very curt and uncaring, he said "NO WAY Thanks" I asked him to remove my bid and he did... He could have been a bit more polite, but I am glad I will not be dealing with him now. Ive been buying and selling on eBay for years and never been that short with anyone and I LOVE US POSTAL money orders as a seller...

Pentax 50mm A SMC lens f/1.7 Excellent - - (eBay item 280171248654 end time Nov-14-07 15:12:27 PST) I posted his URL if interested...

Last edited by Jimsi777; 11-13-2007 at 04:23 PM.
11-13-2007, 04:04 PM   #17
Forum Member

I can't complain about ebay...mostly...

I think I've bought just about all my photo stuff off of ebay. Some new, some used. Would I like to just go thru B&H? Sure! But I need to try and save a few bucks. Besides, I like the old M glass, too.
But you do have to be careful. I did screw up once and bought one dog of a 50mm lens. Had an inch of dust on the front lens and you had to fight with the darned thing to change aperture. That was straight from somebody's "father's-uncle-3-times-removed's-estate" Or something similar. But even with that disaster, I've saved far more than I've lost, or what I would've spent going away from eBay.
11-14-2007, 08:26 AM   #18

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Peter Zack Quote
I have bought few of those "lots"...This is my dad's gear and know little about it etc. Generally these are sellers that are trying to offload gear that is defective and hide behind ignorance. Some genuinely don't know. I once bought an f70-210, F 50mmf1.7, F28 f2.8 and an SF1. The seller said she was selling it for her mother and the description was something like "mom used to be a pro shooter and has since switched to a digital. She no longer needs the gear and it has been safely stored for 2 years." I asked several questions and got a bunch of vague answers but decided to take the risk...
I bought a camera bag full of lenses from a nice lady that said it was her Dad's equipment, and he passed away. At the time I checked her recent sales - and it was all household junk and toys, so that checked out. The first buyer backed out, so through ebay I bought for my original bid. For around $80 I go a nice pentax-f 35-70mm 3.5-4.5 (this is my walk around lens, just got some shots an hour ago), Tokina f/2.8 135mm manual prime, Takumar 70-210mm with auto focus (I know - inferior to the Pentax version - tested it but haven't used it since). Also lots of filters, some magnification filters that I haven't played with yet, a 2x adapter, and a Pentax film body. When I got home last night I re-inspected all of the lenses for fungus - all clear! All the stuff was well cared for. Better than my old film gear in the back of my closet!

I was originally going to sell most of the stuff, but except for the 70-210, everything are keepers. The Tokina 135mm f/2.8 is a sweet lens, and the Pentax-f 35-70mm shoots like a prime for the entire (limited) range - even at 35mm f/3.5. So I got a good deal - this time. What scares me is buying a newer lens from ebay - Sigma 17-70mm for example, that may be a bad copy or other lenses known to have back focusing issues. For newer lenses I'll buy new and under warranty except from people that you know and trust (KEH and frequent posters to Pentaxforums, etc.
11-14-2007, 08:59 AM   #19
Forum Member

Original Poster
i bought a $20 Vivitar 28mm 2.8 manual lens off ePay and the focus ring was too tight, that was the only lens I got took on, still it works, but after all, it is a Vivitar Lens and cheap.