Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
11-12-2007, 09:11 AM   #1
Inactive Account

Takumar 200mm; Screw mount adaptor??

After linking to http://www.bdimitrov.de/kmp/lenses/index.html#adapters

I am geussing that I need a M42 screw mount adaptor.

You screw it to the lens and then bayonnet it as usual to the K10???

Seems too easy

Are there any focusing or auto aperture limitations??

thanks

11-12-2007, 09:24 AM   #2
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
It's all manual!

QuoteOriginally posted by rdrum76 Quote
After linking to Pentax K-Mount Lenses and Lens Accessories

Seems too easy

thanks
11-12-2007, 09:27 AM   #3
Inactive Account

Original Poster
am I looking for the original asahi pentax M42 that supports full infinity manual focus??
thanks
11-12-2007, 10:28 AM   #4
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
I was on the Pentax site, and they had some listed for $30.95 in their on-line store.

I believe that there's 1 more good one, at around the same price, but I'd stick to Pentax

11-13-2007, 12:27 PM   #5
Veteran Member

am I looking for the original asahi pentax M42 that supports full infinity manual focus??
thanks
The genuine Pentax mounts are a bit more expensive, but you get what you pay for. I also have a Kood, which looks like a direct copy, but cheaper.

The Pentax is designed to be inserted into the body, they have a spring that holds it firm. To remove the adapter you have to use a screw driver or something similarly small to push the spring so that you can turn the adapter. Clearly you have to do that without a lens in it It is fiddly to do, so if you change lenses it is best to restrict yourself to M42 lenses, especially if you are outside on a shoot. Just to repeat: the Pentax adapter is designed to convert your camera into an M42 mount camera rather than convert your lens into a K mount.

The problem with the Kood is that the screw attaching the spring was sticking out, and so the adapter got stuck in my K100D eventually I managed to persuade it to come out and the spring and screw just fell off, luckily they did not fall out inside the camera.

So if you have third party adapter make sure that you remove the spring before you use it. However, this means that it won't lock in the body mount. I have mine permanently screwed on to my Carl Zeiss Jena 135, so this means that the adapter has converted my lens into a K mount. There is one issue: M42 lenses do not have a hole for the body locking pin. The K mount on the body has some springs that grip the adapter bayonet lugs, but it is not enough to hold the adapter securely (this is why the Pentax adapter has the additional spring). As I focus my CZJ 135 towards close focus it has a tendency to turn the bayonet in the mount. I could fix this by drilling a hole in the lens for the locking pin, but with my experience with drills I would probably end up having two or three tries before I get the right place

One tip: you can get a PK end caps very cheap, and you should get some spares anyway. If you get the ones which attach to the lens with a turn (rather than the ones that just push on) it means it has stops in the end cap that matches the K bayonet and this is ideal to use to screw on or off an adapter (that has had the spring removed) on to a lens.

Richard
11-13-2007, 12:43 PM   #6
Inactive Account

Original Poster
OMG I feel very confused

Ok, I go the 200mm Tak [screw mount] ok; then I take the M42 screw mount adaptor [it screw into the inside of the metal adaptor with the k-mount on the outside, right???

Now, may I SIMPLY attach the adaptor to the K10 body and shoot away [yes to enable aperture adn set focal length for SR] the adaptor should let me attach the lens to the K10 w/o ANY SPRING SURGERY, right????

OR; I think I got it; the OEM pentax adaptor has the locking spring built-in the accommodate a secure fit, right; whereby once the pentax adaptor is on, I am off to shoot it up??

Thanks
11-13-2007, 02:49 PM   #7
Veteran Member

After linking to Pentax K-Mount Lenses and Lens Accessories

Seems too easy

thanks
Here is a link that might help you.

If you are using the Av setting you may also need to use some EV compensation to get the correct exposure.

11-13-2007, 04:22 PM   #8
Inactive Account

Original Poster
Thanks to all!~

I got the adaptor at Henry's and it is the pentax version with the spring ti hold the lens against the k-mount

Thanks again