Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
06-16-2011, 12:34 PM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Pentax Lens Prices

Is it just me as a newbie to Pentax in the past year, or are lens prices steadily climbing?

I was on eBay today taking a look and after recent discussions of Portrait lenses and people singing the praises of various lengths I was looking at 71, 77, and 85mm lenses. I ran across a SMC A* 85/1.4 with a BIN price of $2400. Now I realize this is a legendary lens but that is 2x the average in the database and quite a hefty price.

Anyway, is it my imagination that the prices are jumping? Does anyone, out of LBA + OCD, keep a database on Pentax lens prices over time?

06-16-2011, 12:36 PM   #2
Site Supporter

i agree, but, speaking personally, I would not refer to Ebay as a price indicator.
Some rather ridiculous BIN prices are put there, hoping for a sucker.
06-16-2011, 12:37 PM   #3
Pentaxian

I've seen prices rise for other brands too.
06-16-2011, 12:39 PM   #4
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
I've had my own sticker shock also, but some ebay listers just put up insane prices that will never sell hoping for a bite. I've asked this same question and everyone agrees that prices are increasing dramatically.

06-16-2011, 12:41 PM   #5
Pentaxian

The A* 85 lens is a rare and highly regards lens.... some say it is the sharpest lens by pentax.
and I have seen it demand crazy price in e-bay.

But yes, lens price keep increases in general

Lee
06-16-2011, 12:43 PM   #6
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Wow, seems a hot topic with the quick responses. I'm sure that other brands lenses are going up too, I have no knowledge or interest in those so I do not even look at them unless them are mixed in with good lenses...errr Pentax lenses
06-16-2011, 12:44 PM   #7
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by LFLee Quote
The A* 85 lens is a rare and highly regards lens.... some say it is the sharpest lens by pentax.
and I have seen it demand crazy price in e-bay.

But yes, lens price keep increases in general

Lee
I've seen it referred to as the best lens Pentax ever made.....ok. But seriously, $2400 for a mid-range used * manual focus lens that's not even from Germany
06-16-2011, 12:54 PM   #8
Pentaxian

The 'sold' price for that A* 85 is usually >$1300 ...
I only manage to see one that sell <$1000

Not a good time to join Pentax. If I were to decide which brand to go into now, Pentax might not be 'best bang for buck' as it used to be when I decided to buy into Pentax.

06-16-2011, 12:58 PM   #9
Veteran Member

Original Poster

Not a good time to join Pentax. If I were to decide which brand to go into now, Pentax might not be 'best bang for buck' as it used to be when I decided to buy into Pentax.
$1300 is a lot but certainly more in the realm of reality IMHO than $2400. I do realize that excellent glass comes with a price. As for 'best bang for the buck' - we still have a lot of old glass to choose from and most of those with other systems are pretty stuck with only new offerings aren't they?
06-16-2011, 01:36 PM   #10
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Docrwm Quote
As for 'best bang for the buck' - we still have a lot of old glass to choose from and most of those with other systems are pretty stuck with only new offerings aren't they?
Yes, but when you compare any lens that has AF opposed to MF, then prices go through the roof and I don't think Pentax old glass is cheap or value for money, it is on a par with the other systems imho

But then again, we have the limiteds
06-16-2011, 01:52 PM   #11
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by edgedemon Quote
Yes, but when you compare any lens that has AF opposed to MF, then prices go through the roof and I don't think Pentax old glass is cheap or value for money, it is on a par with the other systems imho

But then again, we have the limiteds
Maybe I am missing something but aren't the other systems principally limited to modern lenses? Haven't I seen complaints about constantly changing mounting systems with other brands?
06-16-2011, 03:42 PM   #12

Yes, all lens prices are rising. Some dramatically. Nikon lens are very expensive, so are most Canon lens. The reason in the US for the rise in price is the dollar is not worth diddlysquat, so we pay more for imported items. If Pentax or another camera maker made lens in the US, the price would be less.
06-16-2011, 06:57 PM   #13
Veteran Member

The golden age of cheap lens purchases has ended.
Almost all new and used lenses cost too much now.
It's time to learn glass-blowing, and grind our own.
06-16-2011, 07:03 PM   #14
Veteran Member

I've just sold an A*85/1.4 with a scratch on the barrel and a small dent but otherwise excellent for $900. And I expect a mint version not to be over $1250.

It's a very nice lens indeed and I can only hope my 77ltd can get close to it.
06-16-2011, 07:51 PM   #15
Pentaxian

I'm not sure Pentax was the best bang for the buck when I bought into it in the mid-1970s, but it was when I bought back into it in the K100 era. It does seem to have lost affordability ground to the competition since then.

With obviously some exceptions I think the advantage (vs. most other brands) of accepting older lenses has gone away, because older lenses just aren't the bargains vs. new lenses that they once were.

Paul