Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home
 

Reply
Show Printable Version Search this Thread
06-17-2011, 06:48 AM   #16
Forum Member




Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: GTA, Ontario
Posts: 61
Original Poster
Thanks for the great responses !! I think I will pack the 18-55 as well, but since this will not be a "touristy" trip, I have a feeling I will be using the 21 a lot, just to capture the activities I'm involved in.

06-17-2011, 06:56 AM   #17
Pentaxian
Lowell Goudge's Avatar

Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Toronto
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 15,399
QuoteOriginally posted by vn33 Quote
Hi fellow Pentaxian ...
I have not joined the dSLR club yet, but getting closer ... maybe later this month. I have my mind set on a K-r and a DA21 as my general purpose kit.
I'll be in Central America for 10 days this summer, not as a tourist, but more for a short term humanitarian reason. I'll be in close contact with people, and also the surrounding environments.
Since I want to have my camera with me as much as possible, I want it to be real light and comfortable to carry. I plan to leave the 18-55 kit lens at home and just bring the 21 and the A50 f1.7 with me.
Did anyone of you good people ever traveled with something similar ? Would this be sufficient ? I would love to add a DA70, but unfortunately, I don't have many loose coins lying around

Thanks in advance ...
I did a trip to costa rica last year for habitat for humanity, and left my DSLR at home and only took my bridge camera. In some ways I regret this, because there were some great photo opportunities, including wild life, where I would have loved to have either my 70-200F2.8 and a 2x TC or my 300F4 with 1.7x AF TC, BUT you have to remember the purpose of your trip.

You are not going on a photo holiday,
You are going to a very poor area probably, and a display of wealth like this is a bit over the top
you will not have that much time (of course this depends on the type of humanitarian trip you are doing.
security of your personal gear can be an issue.

You have the right idea in mayy ways, going light, but depending on situation I would question if a 21mm is wide enough. the kit lens gives you a lot of other opportunities with the additional field of view.

Personally, if you have one, I would consider a bridge camera and nothing else. I have a .5x wide angle adaptor for mine that solves the wide part of the question.
06-17-2011, 12:05 PM   #18
Forum Member




Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: GTA, Ontario
Posts: 61
Original Poster
Thanks Lowell ... Your assumptions are correct !

I will not have much time for photo ops, I'll be in some of the poorer neighbourhood so I want my gears to be as inconspicuous, hence a small-ish package. This will also help with keeping my camera around me in a hip pack or so.
Unfortunately, I do not have a bridge camera, and just don't want to bring my P&S. In addition, I may not have (nor want) to use my kit lens.

As you have been in similar situations before, any additional tips would be welcomed indeed. Thanks!!
06-17-2011, 12:13 PM   #19
Pentaxian
Lowell Goudge's Avatar

Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Toronto
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 15,399
the only additional comment I can make, is that you should take a good polarizer. I had a hell of a time with glare, due to the bright sunlight.

the other thing to consider, and this may or may not apply to you, but when I went with habitat, there was a small celebration at the end of the time, with the families we were building the houses for, plus all th elocal habitat staff and local builders involved. Many of the team handed their cameras over to the children to take shots through out the night. Some of the kids were really really good at taking photos, and had a lot of fun with the cameras. as long as they know to give them back, it is really worth while. the message here is take your P&S too!

Also, depending on your team? you might wish to set up an file transfer site for photos. I set up an FTP site for the team I went with. This year my daughter went to honduras for a build and the team leader set up a site. You may wish to do so, as well./ I have now settled on using dropbox for a file transfer site. 2GB is free, and for each person you get to down load the software (also free) you get an additional 250MB. it can add up quickly to enough for shots from the whole team, especially since most will be snaps and can be JPEGs.

06-17-2011, 12:20 PM   #20
Veteran Member
Docrwm's Avatar

Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: Somewhere in the Southern US
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 11,275
QuoteOriginally posted by Lowell Goudge Quote
the only additional comment I can make, is that you should take a good polarizer. I had a hell of a time with glare, due to the bright sunlight.

the other thing to consider, and this may or may not apply to you, but when I went with habitat, there was a small celebration at the end of the time, with the families we were building the houses for, plus all th elocal habitat staff and local builders involved. Many of the team handed their cameras over to the children to take shots through out the night. Some of the kids were really really good at taking photos, and had a lot of fun with the cameras. as long as they know to give them back, it is really worth while. the message here is take your P&S too!

Also, depending on your team? you might wish to set up an file transfer site for photos. I set up an FTP site for the team I went with. This year my daughter went to honduras for a build and the team leader set up a site. You may wish to do so, as well./ I have now settled on using dropbox for a file transfer site. 2GB is free, and for each person you get to down load the software (also free) you get an additional 250MB. it can add up quickly to enough for shots from the whole team, especially since most will be snaps and can be JPEGs.
Lowell, thanks for the Dropbox recommendation. Had heard of it in the past but forgot and it will come in handy for several projects here.
06-17-2011, 12:31 PM   #21
Veteran Member
Ikarus's Avatar

Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: California
Photos: Albums
Posts: 462
QuoteOriginally posted by Docrwm Quote
Lowell, thanks for the Dropbox recommendation. Had heard of it in the past but forgot and it will come in handy for several projects here.
Make sure you also check out Sugarsync. Their free plan is 5GB.
06-17-2011, 01:21 PM   #22
Forum Member




Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: GTA, Ontario
Posts: 61
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Ikarus Quote
Make sure you also check out Sugarsync. Their free plan is 5GB.
Excellent !! 5Gb is quite generous !

Another option is Google Docs ... you can actually upload JPGs (not tested with RAW) there. Not sure if they are as generous as SugarSync, but always nice to have options, right ?
06-17-2011, 02:53 PM   #23
Senior Member




Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Los Angeles, CA
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 157
DA 21 with polarizer

In regards to the suggestion that you get a polarizer, this should be for your K50. You will not be able to use a polarizer with the DA 21 without removing the built-in lens hood, and you probably won't need a polarizer anyway: The DA21 is quite flare resistant.

And to clarify my comment about barrel distortion: I didn't notice the DA21 barrel distortion until I corrected it in post-production, and the improvement to the image blew me away. Try it!

06-17-2011, 03:00 PM   #24
axl
Veteran Member




Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Nove Zamky, Slovakia
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 7,181
I would, why not.
These days my main kit is FA24 + DA55, I don't really need more so 21+50 would do just fine
06-17-2011, 04:44 PM   #25
Veteran Member




Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: New Mexico
Photos: Albums
Posts: 1,125
I don't own either of the two lenses in question, but I see no reason why a skilled photographer could not function beautifully with that pair. Together with the K-r, they should make a very neat little kit. I could easily live with either my FA31 or FA43 alone. You just learn to visualize at whatever focal length is at your disposal and take pics appropriate to it.

Rob
06-17-2011, 06:00 PM   #26
Pentaxian
Lowell Goudge's Avatar

Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Toronto
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 15,399
QuoteOriginally posted by vn33 Quote
Excellent !! 5Gb is quite generous !

Another option is Google Docs ... you can actually upload JPGs (not tested with RAW) there. Not sure if they are as generous as SugarSync, but always nice to have options, right ?
Drop ox will take anything and let's you have multiple folders within your main folder with different access rights to each. I use it for sharing data between different groups
06-17-2011, 06:51 PM   #27
Veteran Member




Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: Taiwan
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 1,075
a few things to consider

if you aren't an experienced prime shooter and/or DSLR user then shooting exclusively with two primes will be frustrating. If you go out for a small group sightseeing trip then you'll want a zoom because there won't be time to switch lenses or to compose your shot by moving closer/farther.

I don't know where you'll be but in big cities in South America theft is a HUGE issue. I also don't know how the rest of the cities compare to Quito (2008) but pretty much everyday I was there someone (from my hostel) that I knew was robbed. One group of 3-4 had a P&S camera snatched out of their hand while taking a picture. Another girl was aggressively groped by an attacker trying to find her concealed money (she had none). Another was surrounded by 3 men (1 had knife) while reading a book in a park (daylight) and he surrendered his $3. The small cities in Peru/Ecuador were completely different however.

But anyway if you aren't an experienced prime/dSLR user then I would recommend using your current camera. You're going to be busy and won't have time to concentrate on your photography.
Reply

Bookmarks
  • Submit Thread to Facebook Facebook
  • Submit Thread to Twitter Twitter
  • Submit Thread to Digg Digg
Tags - Make this thread easier to find by adding keywords to it!
da21, k-mount, kit, pentax lens, people, slr lens
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
DA21 against Sigma 10-20 (v1)? axl Pentax SLR Lens Discussion 9 12-29-2012 09:34 PM
How does DA21 compare to DA*16-50? cromdeg Pentax SLR Lens Discussion 18 05-03-2011 09:25 AM
DA21 plus K-X - focusing OK? timo Pentax SLR Lens Discussion 8 03-31-2010 08:00 AM
Anyone own the DA*16-50 & DA21 pcarfan Pentax SLR Lens Discussion 6 12-26-2009 08:36 AM
kaesemann polarizer for da21 dtra Pentax SLR Lens Discussion 3 10-26-2009 10:12 AM



All times are GMT -7. The time now is 09:26 PM. | See also: NikonForums.com, CanonForums.com part of our network of photo forums!
  • Red (Default)
  • Green
  • Gray
  • Dark
  • Dark Yellow
  • Dark Blue
  • Old Red
  • Old Green
  • Old Gray
  • Dial-Up Style
Hello! It's great to see you back on the forum! Have you considered joining the community?
register
Creating a FREE ACCOUNT takes under a minute, removes ads, and lets you post! [Dismiss]
Top