Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
06-16-2011, 02:56 PM   #1
Forum Member

TTL turn off

It seems that I can't turn off the TTL flash on the built in flash of my K-X, no matter what mode I'm in.
If anyone knows a way to bypass the pre-flash, I would greatly appreciate it!
Jake

06-16-2011, 03:23 PM   #2
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
the pop up flash is p-ttl only unless you are using a pre-a lens in which case it fires full power every time
06-16-2011, 03:28 PM   #3
DAZ
Veteran Member

If you us a older, none "A" mode lens the camera will flash but only with full power. You will have to adjust your aperture to get the correct setting. This is one of the biggest limitations with the built in flash on the Pentax cameras. No way to have the flash work in manual mode, other then the full power with an older lens.

DAZ
06-16-2011, 03:45 PM   #4
Inactive Account

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by FrumPilot Quote
It seems that I can't turn off the TTL flash on the built in flash of my K-X, no matter what mode I'm in.
If anyone knows a way to bypass the pre-flash, I would greatly appreciate it!
Jake
Jake, what are you trying to do?

What's been said so far is true and there are a few ways to proceed depending on what you want to do & what kind of lens you want to do it with..

One way is to cover all the camera mount pins with aluminum foil before mounting the lens. The flash will think a non-A type lens is mounted and fire at full power; but you might not be able to adjust the lens depending on what type it is.

06-17-2011, 06:14 AM   #5
Forum Member

Original Poster
Hi and thanks for the feedback. The reason why I wanted to have the onboard flash witout ttl is that I bought an umbrella and have 2 flashes with slaves, I wanted to trigger them via the onboard flash, albeit at a lower power setting.
This did not work because of the TTL's preflash. Interestingly the preflash did not trigger my friends Nikon flash with the same optical slave. I might just have to get a cheap flash just to trigger them (or a radio trigger) but I really did not want to spend more money on this! Oh and I'm using mainly a 35-70 F lens, and I do not want to fool arounf=d with the pins on the camera. I feel it's too risky.
Thanks again!
Jake
06-17-2011, 06:31 AM   #6
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by FrumPilot Quote
Hi and thanks for the feedback. The reason why I wanted to have the onboard flash witout ttl is that I bought an umbrella and have 2 flashes with slaves, I wanted to trigger them via the onboard flash, albeit at a lower power setting.
This did not work because of the TTL's preflash. Interestingly the preflash did not trigger my friends Nikon flash with the same optical slave. I might just have to get a cheap flash just to trigger them (or a radio trigger) but I really did not want to spend more money on this! Oh and I'm using mainly a 35-70 F lens, and I do not want to fool arounf=d with the pins on the camera. I feel it's too risky.
Thanks again!
Jake
You really need to consider a small flash, or since you are probably doing a manual set-up any way, take the F lens out of the A position, this will then use the internal flash which is about 16GN (100ISO in meters) at full power, but in sync with the shutter and no preflash.

I am not sure whether the 16GN is too broght at full power for your use however.

you could always place a difuser in front of it.
06-17-2011, 06:44 AM   #7
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
Some radio triggers would really be the cheapest and simplest solution. There are also optical slave triggers that can be set to ignore the preflash, but that takes some tinkering with the settings. I've only found the on board flash particularly handy for triggering other P-TTL flashes.
06-17-2011, 05:15 PM   #8
DAZ
Veteran Member

If you really donít have the money now you could give a little DIY a try. I used this before I got radio triggers and they are better but this is free. Get the camera to use full power by using a lens in a non A mode. Set your f-stop that you are going to use and pop up the flash. Put something (some aluminum foil or a piece of paper so that the center of the flash is blocked. You will have to play a little with it so that your slave will fire but not get to much light on your subject from the camera flash. Radio triggers are better but this is cheap and you can do it now.

DAZ