Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 2 Likes Search this Thread
06-16-2011, 03:47 PM   #1

error entering focal length for older lens on k-x

Greetings -- I am mounting an smc pentax-m 1:1.7 50mm lens on my k-x. I have the camera on manual and turn it on and get the flashing "F---" to enter the focal length. But when I turn the edial I get no response and can never get to the actual "Input Focal Length Screen." Likewise I can't use the four way controller Does anyone have experience with a similar error or troubleshooting advice on how to enter the focal length? Thanks so much!

06-16-2011, 04:50 PM - 1 Like   #2
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
You might find something useful in this post. Check first to see if you have setting 22 set to "2" use aperture ring. You need to read the sticky on manual lenses or you will get frustrated though.
06-16-2011, 04:54 PM   #3

I do not have experiance witrh the K-r but with my K-m, try going in to the menu to the manual lense set-up. I found that I failed to fully set my camera for a while and the focal length set-up display did not show-up in the start-up mode until I fully set-up the time setting in the camera. The manual focal length set-up now comes up now comes on the start of the camera. Otherwise, I do not know if the K-r menu set-up is the same. There at least should be set-up for the manual lenses length in the cameras menu somewhere on your camera.
06-16-2011, 06:53 PM   #4
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
the flashing F--- does not mean focal length. Your camera is not set to "Allow the use of aperture ring". You must turn on that setting in the custom menu. Once you turn it on and attach the lens, then you will be asked to input the focal length.

06-17-2011, 04:28 AM   #5

Original Poster
Thanks for this reminder! I thought I had done this, but turns out I had to do it a couple of time before it actually registered, and now the input focal length screen is coming up fine!

One other question now i find thought. Every time I turn the camera on, it asks me again to input the focal length. Is there any way to just keep it set for as long as the lens is on the camera, or do i just need to enter the length every time I turn it on. The latter isn't a big deal, but a minor nuisance walking around and turning the camera on and off to save battery!

Thanks for your help!! Jeff.
06-17-2011, 05:31 AM   #6
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

You'll need to set it every time. Same as my K-x. It's annoying but at least we can still use m lenses.
06-17-2011, 05:41 AM   #7
Veteran Member

Well, you can use the power save mode during a walk which turns the camera off even though the power switch is on. When you need to take a picture, the shutter button will turn the camera on. This-way it will not ask you to input the focal length. To my knowledge there is no way to set the focal length to memory otherwise.

06-17-2011, 05:43 AM   #8
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

agsy's correct. And I forgot about that solution. I actually have mine set to turn off after 30 minutes. Too many lost/dead batteries before, so after setting it turn off the only reason I have dead batteries now is, I shoot a lot.
06-17-2011, 06:31 AM - 1 Like   #9
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by grinchicago Quote
but turns out I had to do it a couple of time before it actually registered,
It should not need to set couple of time, once should be enough on a K-x. And it should be that way until you change it to something else or reset the coustom setting (no mater you turn it of or remove battery for short time)

QuoteOriginally posted by photolady Quote
You'll need to set it every time. Same as my K-x. It's annoying but at least we can still use m lenses.
And for the focal length, yes it will ask but you don't have press ok as long as you are using the same lens, just pressing the shutter after turning the camera on, will take you to the normal screen. You might notice, K-x actually remembers the last used focal length, i.e. for same lens mounted on (just to be clear K-x do not remember the lens just the FL number you selected), every time you turn off and turn the camera back on focal length screen shows the previous fl on the middle already highlighted. At that point I don't even look at it any more, I just half prees the shutter.
06-17-2011, 06:40 AM   #10
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by grinchicago Quote
Thanks for this reminder! I thought I had done this, but turns out I had to do it a couple of time before it actually registered, and now the input focal length screen is coming up fine!

One other question now i find thought. Every time I turn the camera on, it asks me again to input the focal length. Is there any way to just keep it set for as long as the lens is on the camera, or do i just need to enter the length every time I turn it on. The latter isn't a big deal, but a minor nuisance walking around and turning the camera on and off to save battery!

Thanks for your help!! Jeff.
not familiar with your exact model, but note, on my K7 and K10, while the prompt comes up each time you turn on the camera, the setting remains unchanged. just confirm the setting or press the shutter button half way, and continue forward.
06-17-2011, 06:55 AM   #11
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

It seems I tried just ignoring that and it would not let me press the shutter button. May be just a fluke that one time, because I tried the same thing just now and it works. Thanks Ultraviolet and Lowell.
06-18-2011, 07:29 AM   #12

Original Poster
Thanks to everyone for these tips! They are very helpful! I love my k-x but do find it has little quirks I am still learning to manage!
06-18-2011, 10:22 AM   #13
Veteran Member

the F-- is aperture as people have already mentioned. However, even with aperture permitted setting I think it still will show as F--. Because it is a Pentax M lens and data on the aperture is not transmitted to the camera body. So it doesn't know.