Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
11-12-2007, 11:23 AM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Polarizers

Hi Folks..
This weekend I purchased my first polarizer...Having never owned one before, I opted to go with the b&w as I have had good results with their uv filters...How many of you folks own them and what can you share about them?
Here are two quick snap shots..The first is with just a uv filter, the second is with the circular polarizer..

Last edited by jgredline; 11-12-2007 at 11:31 AM. Reason: missing words
11-12-2007, 12:09 PM   #2
Forum Member

The sky is very blue. I bought a cheapy and it caused autofocus problems on 200mm during the daylight, but I am sure it was the cheap price. Some say the images can be edited afterwards and others and myself, seem to think it is only good for brighter daylighted pictures and outdoors 'cause they block some of the light as well as introducing some distortion with an extra glass(the filter) I assume filters should not be stacked too deep or the non use of the cheaper brands...Jim
11-12-2007, 12:43 PM   #3
Veteran Member

Original Poster
I had actually bought a cheap Hoya one as well and returned it after I had the same problems you described..That was about a year ago..Now I only use b&w..I paid $105.00 for it.
11-12-2007, 12:48 PM   #4
Forum Member

what camera and lens are you using the b+w on? I could not see any distortion from the top and bottom picture, the bottom does seem more detailed and such a nice blue sky...Jim

Last edited by Jimsi777; 11-12-2007 at 12:55 PM.
11-12-2007, 01:04 PM   #5
Forum Member

i'm using the hoya pro1d one. i read they are pretty much the same.
11-12-2007, 01:39 PM   #6
Pentaxian
Moderator Emeritus

Photos: Gallery | Albums
When it comes to Autofocus and a polarizer, it`s recommended that you use a circular polarizer (CPL) and not the older linear polarizer style. The CPL version works the same as the Linear one but has a quarter wave plate to allow the AF split beam to operate and correctly focus the lens. It also allows the metering system to work correctly and a linear will interfere with the metering.
You loose one or two stops with a polarizer but they are generally used in brighter conditions so that won`t make it harder to take the shot.

It achieves the greatest effect at 90 degrees from the sun for sky shots
It can be used indoors to reduce glare off glass and other reflecting surfaces
Don`t stack it with other filters. Maybe the only exception would be a warming filter (81C) if needed but you can adjust that in PS.
Has no effect on a gray sky.
It can be used as a neutral density filter as it will reduce the exposure by 1 or 2 stops.
The effect of a polarizer can`t be duplicated in Post processing.

If you look at your examples above the first is at 1/250th f 7 and the second at 1/125 f 6.3

Last edited by Peter Zack; 11-12-2007 at 01:54 PM.
11-12-2007, 02:10 PM   #7
Forum Member

The first is actually 1/400 shutter, but it shows that it is not a lens for action since it blocked some of the light.

11-12-2007, 02:11 PM   #8
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Jimsi777 Quote
what camera and lens are you using the b+w on? I could not see any distortion from the top and bottom picture, the bottom does seem more detailed and such a nice blue sky...Jim
Jim
This was on my K100d super with the new tamron 18-250mm lens..
11-12-2007, 02:15 PM   #9
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Peter Zack Quote
When it comes to Autofocus and a polarizer, it`s recommended that you use a circular polarizer (CPL) and not the older linear polarizer style. The CPL version works the same as the Linear one but has a quarter wave plate to allow the AF split beam to operate and correctly focus the lens. It also allows the metering system to work correctly and a linear will interfere with the metering.
You loose one or two stops with a polarizer but they are generally used in brighter conditions so that won`t make it harder to take the shot.

It achieves the greatest effect at 90 degrees from the sun for sky shots
It can be used indoors to reduce glare off glass and other reflecting surfaces
Don`t stack it with other filters. Maybe the only exception would be a warming filter (81C) if needed but you can adjust that in PS.
It can be used as a neutral density filter as it will reduce the exposure by 1 or 2 stops.
The effect of a polarizer can`t be duplicated in Post processing.

If you look at your examples above the first is at 1/250th f 7 and the second at 1/125 f 6.3
Very good !!! This helps me a bunch..I am still trying to understand ''stops'' and so forth, so any info gained is good...

Now, I have not noticed that it focuses slower, but then again I have only had it 2 days and been out in the sun only once..Today..When I took some pictures indoors they were also more vibrant...I was not expecting that.
11-12-2007, 02:23 PM   #10
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Peter Zack Quote
True, but it is still useful on gray days. I use it to cut down on reflections on wet surfaces, etc.

I've only used cheap ones, never noticed a problem focusing.
11-12-2007, 03:26 PM   #11
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Interestingly, since switching to digital and mostly Sigma lenses, I find that I don't need a polarizing filter as much as I did before with a Canon Elan 7E,a Tamron 28-300mm lens, and Kodak Max 400 film. Has anyone else had a similar experience?

CN
11-12-2007, 04:20 PM   #12
Pentaxian
Moderator Emeritus

Sorry, I may not have been clear. If you use a CPL version then it will not affect the focus or metering. A linear version will have some affect on the AF and mess up the metering. I agree with Clem that I don't use it quite as much but it's still one of the most important accessories you can have if you shoot landscape/seascape and other similar stuff.

Tip to those that haven't bought one yet. Get a large one for your biggest lens. Then pick up a set of step up/down rings to use it on all your other lenses. That way you only need one filter.

yes they will help on a cloudy/gray day to reduce reflections from water, glass etc.
11-12-2007, 04:20 PM   #13
Pentaxian

Polarisers are great for glary situations ans bright days. Great for the beach or snow.

You'll notice in the first post the blue changes colour in the second photo with the filter on. As someone above said, it has greatest affect at 90° to the sun, so with a wide angle this effect can change over the angle of one photo. It's not necessarily a problem, just a situation you should be aware of.
11-12-2007, 04:29 PM   #14
Pentaxian
Moderator Emeritus

As for understanding stops have a look at the bottom of the following thread. I posted a shutter speed and f stop chart. See:

https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/pentax-slr-lens-discussion/14714-f2-8-vs-...ish-light.html

Also this is an excellent site:

The Luminous Landscape

Go to the tutorials section. It's a weath of knowledge. So is this:

The Radiant Vista
11-12-2007, 04:30 PM   #15
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Is it just me or did anyone else notice the vignetting on the second shot. I heard this could be a result of old polerizers?