Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
06-16-2011, 05:52 PM   #1
Forum Member

Should I rent some glass?

I'm going on a short tour to Mt. Rushmore, Yellowstone, and Arches in a few weeks and was thinking of maybe renting a lens or 2. I'll be bringing my K200D, FA35/2, and FA50/1.4 along (maybe even my ME Super).

If I do rent, I've narrowed my choices down to these lenses:

15mm/4 Limited
12-24mm/4
70mm/2.4 Limited

Any thoughts/suggestions?

06-16-2011, 06:08 PM   #2
Veteran Member

If the rental price is right and you think you'll have the time to play with them (uninterupted would be lovely wouldn't it?!) and get the shots you want... Go for it.
06-16-2011, 06:29 PM   #3
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
I would and would recommend CameraLensRentals.com - Canon, Nikon and Pentax Lens Rentals. they are on the forum and have used them a bunch over the last few years. Great way to try out a lens or just use for a short time
06-16-2011, 06:44 PM - 1 Like   #4
Veteran Member

I say go for the 12-24 (give you flexibility at the wide end), you have the mid ranges covered with the primes and me personally I would want to bring something at least in the 200mm range. Some close ups of Mt Rushmore would be cool and as Vievetrick said CameraLensRentals.com - Canon, Nikon and Pentax Lens Rentals. is a great place to rent. In fact I have the DA* 16-50 and FA31 ltd currently en route. If you do decide to use that website, your first rental gets 10% off by entering "CLR" in the coupon redemption code (or something to that effect). But no matter where you rent I say rent for sure. Those 2 primes will do ok but more range is always better, especially on vacation.

06-16-2011, 07:02 PM   #5
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
cameralensrentals.com is a good place to rent.

I would get the 12-24. I have rented if from them. The 70mm is another fine lens.
06-16-2011, 07:35 PM   #6
Forum Member

Original Poster
Yup, I bookmarked CLR well over a year ago, it was the first place I looked

QuoteOriginally posted by KxBlaze Quote
I say go for the 12-24 (give you flexibility at the wide end), you have the mid ranges covered with the primes and me personally I would want to bring something at least in the 200mm range. Some close ups of Mt Rushmore would be cool and as Vievetrick said CameraLensRentals.com - Canon, Nikon and Pentax Lens Rentals. is a great place to rent. In fact I have the DA* 16-50 and FA31 ltd currently en route. If you do decide to use that website, your first rental gets 10% off by entering "CLR" in the coupon redemption code (or something to that effect). But no matter where you rent I say rent for sure. Those 2 primes will do ok but more range is always better, especially on vacation.
That basically confirms what I was thinking. As much as I like using primes, I don't want to be too busy swapping lenses. If we didn't have a timetable, that would be the way I'd go. The 12-24 is pretty much locked in, so now I'm trying to decide if I should get a tele and how long of a focal length...

70 Limited seems like a nice choice (small, fixed), but the Tamron 70-200 also could be fun to use (maybe not as much fun to carry around lol). Again, I might go for the zoom for the sake to flexibility...I already know I'lm gonna be used as the pack mule, anyway...

Yea? Nay?
06-16-2011, 08:00 PM   #7
Loyal Site Supporter

I don't know how critical these shots are gonna be to you, but presuming you're not gonna be printing to more than 8x10" there's a a very economical way to explore the full FL range. Postage counts!

The second tier lenses are actually pretty good in general use and available to own used for less than some rentals. If you like the FL range, you'll know where to spend the big bucks, and the 'lesser' lenses tend to re-cycle for about what you'd pay for 'em. You might even arrange a loan or cheap local rental with a PF member.

I've resold a few trial lenses for close to what I paid for 'em and felt any difference was well worth the intentional temporary use and learning experience -- and paid much less than a rental overall. I've also "loaned" a few high-value items (to me) to PF members of good reputation with no qualms.

If the lens or the aperture/FL works, you can always up-grade later with full confidence that you're making a knowledgeable decision. If not, you've invested little.

H2
06-16-2011, 09:05 PM   #8
Site Supporter

I'm also doing Yellowstone and Mt Rushmore in about 10 days :-)

Take the 12-24 for sure. When you want wide, you'll have it. It is probably my best travel lens.

06-16-2011, 09:43 PM   #9
Loyal Site Supporter

I have the 12-24 and also the 31. I have never really felt the need for the 15 since the 12-24 is like having a big bag of primes. The 70 is starting to have a lot of appeal to me as well. So far as your dilemma is concerned, I would just do the 12-24 and the 70.

Also, I would recommend keeping stitching in the back of your mind. The 12-24 is really nice and wide. However, there are times, especially in the vertical orientation, to cover really tall items, that stitching comes in really handy.

Hope you have a fine trip...

06-16-2011, 10:53 PM   #10
wjt
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
+1 for the 12-24, great lens well worth taking.
06-17-2011, 07:41 PM   #11
Forum Member

Original Poster
Thanks again for all the suggestions

Q: I'm pretty set on the 12-24, but should I also consider the Sigma 8-16mm?

I've read a lot of favorable opinions on that lens, except for the fact that filters can't be used due to the front element.
12-24 range is probably much more useful than 8-16

Last edited by VIXIV; 06-18-2011 at 10:53 AM.
06-21-2011, 10:53 AM   #12
Veteran Member

Just wanted to let you know that I got my first order from CameraLensRentals a day EARLY so I get an extra day for free, the lenses are cleaner than any lens I own and are almost completely blemish free. I would highly recommend renting from them if you haven't already.
06-21-2011, 11:03 AM   #13
Veteran Member

DA12-24 more than the 8-16.

I went to YSNP with the DA15, DA21, FA31, FA43, FA77, Sigma 100-300 and a couple of more.

My most used was the FA43 as I like it very much. There are lots of birds and wildlife at YSNP as well, so my second most used was the Sigma 100-300. In fact a close up of the yellowstone requires a long tele (at least 100mm).

So, I will rent a DA 12-24 and a telephoto (may be the bigma, if you don't mind carrying it and if you are into wildlife).
06-21-2011, 06:14 PM   #14
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by KxBlaze Quote
Just wanted to let you know that I got my first order from CameraLensRentals a day EARLY so I get an extra day for free, the lenses are cleaner than any lens I own and are almost completely blemish free. I would highly recommend renting from them if you haven't already.

Told you they are good people