Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
06-16-2011, 08:54 PM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Mounting Pentax lenses on a Leica M camera - adapters?

I know a few members here use Leica M system. What I am wondering is whether they've tried using their Pentax lenses on the M camera and how?

06-16-2011, 10:53 PM   #2
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Here is the how part of your question. The Leica M registration distance is about half the Pentax, so it can be done with an adapter.I don't have either a Leica body or lens, so this is as far as I can go....

06-17-2011, 12:10 AM   #3
Pentaxian

I have used several pentax lenses on my Leica M8/M9 - and it's really just a stunt, there isn't any real practical advantage to doing it because of the shortcomings involved. you can get the Pentax SMC 43mm f/1.9 In Leica 39mm thread mount (make sure you also get the accessory viewfinder). When you stop the 43mm f/1.9 down it is an absolute jewel on the 18Mp Leica M9, it is very sharp and flare resistant.

SLR lenses by their nature are significantly larger than their rangefinder counterparts, and you don't get any coupling to the Rangefinder mechanism so all you can do is zone focus and hope for the best - on FF the DOF even at f/16 with the FA31mm f/1.8 isn't as wide as you think it is. You would be far better off getting a Voigtlander nokton 35mm f/1.2 ASPH which renders images in a similar fashion to the Leica Summilux 35mm f/1.4 ASPH* - without the hefty price tag.

*though you didn't hear that from me, there are some leicaphiles that would have me burned at the stake for such blasphemy.

Last edited by Digitalis; 06-17-2011 at 12:36 AM.