Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
11-12-2007, 01:41 PM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
LBA strikes again... But...

Yes the mighty powerful LBA has struck again.

But this time there is a little dirt and fungus in the lens. First: does anyone have a good recipe on removing fungus? Second: has anyone taken apart one of these lenses before and have any tips or warnings like "do not unscrew that or you'll have springs and crap flying all over the place"? Or if you just want to post your other thoughts on this lens feel free to do so...

Well I'll attach two photos of the progress so far... oh I forgot to mention it's a Pentax-A 70-210mm 1:4 lens I'm working on...

Last edited by Jimfear; 11-27-2007 at 01:44 PM.
11-12-2007, 02:22 PM   #2
Veteran Member

I hope you didn't spend too much on that lens!
Lots of success with it!

- Bert
11-12-2007, 02:58 PM   #3
Veteran Member

Original Poster
No this came cheap allright.

Now for an update on the cleaning... Well I came to a point where I could not screw out any more screws and the lens STILL DIDN'T FALL TO PICES like I would have wanted it to... Need to get myself a big hammer... or then just accept the little fungus spots in the lens.

But this really is a nice solid metal thing, didn't come across much plastic on my way inside the lens. Now if anyone has a repair manual for this lens laying around please contact me...
11-12-2007, 03:41 PM   #4
Veteran Member

I don't know what it is, but here's my opinion.

If it's a Zoom leave it alone. Otherwise you'll never get it back together and working properly.

If it's a prime then you have a chance of fixing it yourself.
The lenses that I've played with require you starting at the top, by removing a ring threaded into the filter threads.
to give you an idea what I mean by ring it'll often but not always have that writing on it with the size and what not.

Try using an eraser to grip this ring, although I've had to use a tiny screwdriver on some.
Be careful with the screwdriver, you don't want to scratch the glass.
I wouldn't worry about scratching the ring unless you plan on selling the lens sometime.

After you get that ring off it'll make a little more sense of what needs doing next.

You will need a couple of Jewelers screwdrivers for this job.

I should mention that you might be better off just buying another one through KEH Camera.
I'll only buy lenses in excellent shape through them, but they're often worth it.

Have fun, and good luck with it.
Plus your not alone, I have to take 2 lenses apart soon for a little cleaning or repairs.

11-12-2007, 04:04 PM   #5
Inactive Account

Hi Jimfear

You could always try putting the whole thing in a dishwasher. I'd recommend using 'spin-cycle 3' for 30 minutes on a high heat
..............that should do it !!!!!
I sincerely hope you know what you are doing and can put it all back together the way it was meant to be ?
What's the serial number BTW ? If this lens comes up on E-bay, I'll know to give it a wide berth..........lol.

With some trepidation,
Richard

Last edited by Confused; 11-12-2007 at 04:09 PM.
11-13-2007, 02:35 AM   #6
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Hi again and thanks for all the replies.

Yes primes are indeed easy to clean, but this happens to be a zoom... furthermore a very stubborn zoom... Getting it together again is not the problem (for all you nonbelievers I can say that it is at the moment in one part again and fully functional), as I said, taking it apart is the problem.

I've repaired 2 zooms and 2 primes before but I'm starting to think this one will get the best of me. I'm going to go out and take a couple of test shots and see if it makes any difference in actual pictures. I'll put a photo up of the inside of the lens, do you think this will be visible in the pictures?

Is fungus among lenses highly infectious? If I store this lens in the same bag as my other lenses will they also catch this horrible disease?

Last edited by Jimfear; 11-27-2007 at 01:44 PM.
11-13-2007, 04:19 AM   #7
Veteran Member

If you ever manage to get down to the fungus, I have heard that cold cream rubbed on with your finger is the preferred method of removing it. Seriously.

11-13-2007, 04:45 AM   #8
Veteran Member

QuoteQuote:
Is fungus among lenses highly infectious? If I store this lens in the same bag as my other lenses will they also catch this horrible disease?
Oh my, that brings all sorts of things to mind... fungus a STD?
11-13-2007, 05:16 AM   #9
Pentaxian
Moderator Emeritus

Photos: Gallery | Albums
There is a method I have heard of that should kill fungus but I've never tried it myself. Put the lens, suspended, in a bucket that has a lid. Then put 1/2" of strong bleach in the bottom and close the lid. Leave it for a week or so. The fumes from the bleach will kill the fungus or a least slow it down.

As for spreading to your other glass. Yes that can happen. The spores that cause fungus are everywhere and it is possible that if all the glass is in the same bag, the spores can transfer from one to another. All they then need is some moisture and they start to grow. This infection is not too bad and the lens should produce fine pictures as it is. I would put it in a plastic bag that you change periodically before putting it in the camera bag.

Also any time you get those silica drying pouches in a new product box, save them and put them in your lens cases to keep things dry.

I tried to clean a similar lens as well. Zooms are tough as a novice. Too many paired elements and I never did get the whole thing apart.
11-13-2007, 07:48 AM   #10
Inactive Account

Hi Jimfear

That last shot 'dont-half' look like a full moon to me. As a safeguard, I've just e-mailed Little Red Riding Hood and told her to keep a watchful eye out for you, just in case you go anywhere near her neighbourhood. Are you absolutely certain you're not one of these 'big bad wolves-in-sheeps-clothing' or something ?......aaarrhoooo !!

Best regards

Last edited by Confused; 11-13-2007 at 08:08 AM.
11-13-2007, 11:23 AM   #11
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Peter Zack Quote
As for spreading to your other glass. Yes that can happen. The spores that cause fungus are everywhere and it is possible that if all the glass is in the same bag, the spores can transfer from one to another.
Yes, but the spores are everywhere anyway. If they are sealed inside a lens, then maybe that's better than outside where they can float around and land on your other lenses

All they then need is some moisture and they start to grow.
I think this is the point. If all your lenses are stored in a moist environment they are likely to get fungus some time or another because all the ingredients are there. Remove one of the ingredients (like moisture) and you reduce the probability by a large amount. Just look after your lenses and you're unlikely to get fungus.

As to whether a particular lens acts as a Typhoid Mary, I really doubt it.

Having said that:

I would put it in a plastic bag that you change periodically before putting it in the camera bag.

Also any time you get those silica drying pouches in a new product box, save them and put them in your lens cases to keep things dry.
I would too, it's always best to err on the side of caution, even if it isn't necessary

Richard
11-13-2007, 11:31 AM   #12
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I agree with previous post. I grab every little pouch of silica that comes with other products and the are stored with all my camera gear. Keeps the air very dry.
11-15-2007, 04:24 AM   #13
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Confused Quote
Hi Jimfear

That last shot 'dont-half' look like a full moon to me. As a safeguard, I've just e-mailed Little Red Riding Hood and told her to keep a watchful eye out for you, just in case you go anywhere near her neighbourhood. Are you absolutely certain you're not one of these 'big bad wolves-in-sheeps-clothing' or something ?......aaarrhoooo !!

Best regards
HAHAHAHAHA

QuoteOriginally posted by Bramela Quote
I agree with previous post. I grab every little pouch of silica that comes with other products and the are stored with all my camera gear. Keeps the air very dry.
I have some 5 or 6 of those silica pouches in my camera bag so i don't think any fungus will attack there. Have started a little experiment and put one silica bag in the lens case to see if the fungus grows, reduces, stays the same (the most probable) or explodes (in a very Monty Python like way).