Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
11-12-2007, 03:22 PM   #1
Inactive Account

slrgear.com test results: Tamron 28-75 f2.8: best lens... ever (even full frame).

slrgear.com test results: Tamron 28-75 f2.8: best lens... ever (even full frame).

their test findings:

sharp, wide open, from 28 right through to 75.

razor sharp, right across the frame from one stop down - again, from 28 right through to 75.

vignetting/distortion/ca? looooow.

they don't actually state it's the best lens ever, but i feel like i've read every lens review there is - not just pentax, but even the ones for nikon and canon lenses etc. (obviously, this isn't actually possible, but i've read way more than my share). this lens test/review really stands above all of them.

less than $400? any wonder this lens has almost cult status around this forum. no, i don't own one, but it's certainly coming way before i get a da*50-135 f2.8 - for half the price.

if you've read a better test/review (as opposed to a non-technically supported review) that does better than this lens, (for a normal kind of range), could you please put up a link to it?

cheers.

11-12-2007, 04:34 PM   #2
and
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Well its very good, and for the price of course the value is much higher than the manufacturer zooms. Of course this is comparing it to other zooms and not primes.
But best ever, well that is an overstatement. Perhaps best value zoom ever.

Lets look at the 28mm result from the photozone test of the Tamron

The Nikon 24-70 is basically breaking the chart here, and is being limited by the 10mp sensor. At 24mm vs 28mm at f2.8, the Nikon is sharper in the borders than the Tamron is in the center, not only that, the nikon is sharper in the center at f2.8 than the Tamron is at any f-stop. Is that what they call 'ownage' ?

Unfortunatly it has only been tested for Nikon so thats the only one I can compare it to. But at least it shows its not the best ever. You still get what you pay for, even tho the returns are diminishing.

The Nikon lens is just insane, sharper wide open than any of the Nikon 24 or 28mm primes, thats crazy, the point of buying a prime is lost with that lens.

Last edited by and; 11-12-2007 at 05:55 PM.
11-12-2007, 06:09 PM   #3
Inactive Account

Original Poster
you proved me right, not wrong

the nikons graphs show it's not as sharp 'right across the frame' as the tamron. nice centre resolution (by a tad), but the borders aren't following the centre - unlike the tamrons results.
11-12-2007, 06:18 PM   #4
and
Veteran Member

If you look at those results and conclude the Tamron is better then who am I to argue with you I know which one of those 2 I would rather like to have though.

11-12-2007, 06:31 PM   #5
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by 123K10D Quote

their test findings:

sharp, wide open, from 28 right through to 75.

razor sharp, right across the frame from one stop down - again, from 28 right through to 75.

vignetting/distortion/ca? looooow.

they don't actually state it's the best lens ever, but i feel like i've read every lens review there is - not just pentax, but even the ones for nikon and canon lenses etc. (obviously, this isn't actually possible, but i've read way more than my share). this lens test/review really stands above all of them.

less than $400? any wonder this lens has almost cult status around this forum. no, i don't own one, but it's certainly coming way before i get a da*50-135 f2.8 - for half the price.

if you've read a better test/review (as opposed to a non-technically supported review) that does better than this lens, (for a normal kind of range), could you please put up a link to it?

cheers.
Well I do own one, and for the most part concur with the test results. It is not a razor at f2.8, but it is certainly more than acceptable. Better at f2.8 than the FA50 is at f1.4. Each stop you go down it gets better. At f4.0-f5.6 this thing will thin slice a tomato .

Best of all, it renders an image like a Pentax lens. I can't define it, the images just have that combination of color, sharpness, bokeh, etc, that make a Pentax lens have that "look".

Can you tell that right now, it's my favorite zoom?
11-12-2007, 11:26 PM   #6

I don't even want to hear about this lens. I was saving my money all the summer (it's a lot of money for me), purchased the lens from Japan and got a pice of junk. I can only suggest: test it before You buy it.
I replaced Tamron with SMC-A 35-105 and performance differnce was like: candy VS droppings.

Last edited by skaktuss; 11-12-2007 at 11:34 PM.
11-13-2007, 03:15 AM   #7
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by skaktuss Quote
I don't even want to hear about this lens. I was saving my money all the summer (it's a lot of money for me), purchased the lens from Japan and got a pice of junk. I can only suggest: test it before You buy it.
I replaced Tamron with SMC-A 35-105 and performance differnce was like: candy VS droppings.
Sorry to hear you got a bad one. I have heard there are some bad ones floating around. I'm sure your experience would be different if you had returned it for a replacement. I certainly understand why you wouldn't, give the time and distance involved.

On the upside, your A 35-105 is a very very good lens. Probably one of the mosst underrated lenses of it's era.

11-13-2007, 03:41 AM   #8
Veteran Member

I have the Tamron 28-75/f2.8 and it is my walkabout lens and it is always coupled to my k100D! I love the lens!! Best money I have spent (apart from my lovely DA14)
11-13-2007, 07:57 AM   #9
Inactive Account

I "Heart" my Tamron 28-75mm
11-13-2007, 09:01 AM   #10
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by roscot Quote
On the upside, your A 35-105 is a very very good lens. Probably one of the most underrated lenses of it's era.
I'll second that! The 35-105 is a great lens. I love using it on my K10D. The funny thing is that I didn't like it nearly as well when I was using it for film. Don't get me wrong...it was always a good lens, but it really seems to shine with digital. Maybe it's because its field of view is narrower on digital and that suits my eye better. Who knows?
11-13-2007, 09:11 AM   #11
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by skaktuss Quote
Having just a couple of hours ago won the SMC-A 35-105 on an auction, I am very pleased to read the comments on it here.
11-13-2007, 02:54 PM   #12
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by TaoMaas Quote
I'll second that! The 35-105 is a great lens. I love using it on my K10D. The funny thing is that I didn't like it nearly as well when I was using it for film. Don't get me wrong...it was always a good lens, but it really seems to shine with digital. Maybe it's because its field of view is narrower on digital and that suits my eye better. Who knows?
I inherited mine from my dad, who used it for years with his super program. He was just a snap shooter, but took some wonderful memories with that lens. I used it for quite awhile on my DS, really liked it a lot, but came to realize my tired old eyes needed AF, so I bought a FA 28-105 f3.2-4.5, another very under rated lens. I still got the 35-105, since it was my dads, I could not get rid of it.
11-13-2007, 07:45 PM   #13
Veteran Member

I've wanted that lens for so long, now that i know what I want to be shooting I am selling off my other lenses and will prolly replace my current walk around lens with this one.

Anyone wanna buy my lenses?
11-14-2007, 06:10 AM   #14
Not Registered

QuoteOriginally posted by Buddha Jones Quote
I've wanted that lens for so long, now that i know what I want to be shooting I am selling off my other lenses and will prolly replace my current walk around lens with this one.

Anyone wanna buy my lenses?
I would buy your Vivitar 105 2.8 macro at a good price
11-14-2007, 10:39 AM   #15
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Mike Cash Quote
Having just a couple of hours ago won the SMC-A 35-105 on an auction, I am very pleased to read the comments on it here.
If you paid $36, that's a good deal!