Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
02-05-2013, 01:28 PM   #46

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Driline Quote
So how do you like the lens? Say compared to the pentax kit lens 18-55mm?
I can't compare it to the kit lens....I bought a K10D "back in the day" and replaced the kit lens with the Tamron 18-200mm. Then sold the kit lens on eBay. I haven't used it in six years, at least.

But the Tamron just wasn't helping the K-5 IIs....it was too soft. I haven't had a chance to shoot a lot with the Sigma, but what little I've done i'm really impressed with how sharp it is at all focal lengths. Unfortunately I've been really uninspired to go out and shoot much since I've gotten it, because we've just had grey, blah winter weather. I'm really looking forward to taking it to Southern Utah/Las Vegas this summer, though. Hoping for some spectacular sunrises/sunsets and desert landscape photography.

02-05-2013, 01:47 PM   #47
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by azcavalier Quote
I can't compare it to the kit lens....I bought a K10D "back in the day" and replaced the kit lens with the Tamron 18-200mm. Then sold the kit lens on eBay. I haven't used it in six years, at least.

But the Tamron just wasn't helping the K-5 IIs....it was too soft. I haven't had a chance to shoot a lot with the Sigma, but what little I've done i'm really impressed with how sharp it is at all focal lengths. Unfortunately I've been really uninspired to go out and shoot much since I've gotten it, because we've just had grey, blah winter weather. I'm really looking forward to taking it to Southern Utah/Las Vegas this summer, though. Hoping for some spectacular sunrises/sunsets and desert landscape photography.
I'd like to know how that lens works out for you in Utah. Iowa weather here is dull and gloomy as well. I'm looking at replacing the kit
Lens with something a bit sharper but I'd really like to get the 15mm or 21 mm prime lenses as well.
02-05-2013, 04:14 PM   #48
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Not so. I bought this lens to pair with my K-5 IIs. The Pentax version does *not* have OS on it. You can see where that switch would be on the lens body, but it's just not there. While it's not clearly stated in any online sales description that I have yet to see, on B&H's site, if you go to the specifications tab on the lens' site, it does show that the lens is not optically stabilized.
There was (is) in fact an OS version of this lens - I owned one bought new this past August:

Amazon.com: Sigma 17-50mm F2.8 EX DC OS HSM Lens for Pentax SLR Cameras: Camera & Photo

02-05-2013, 04:44 PM   #49
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by stormtech Quote
There was (is) in fact an OS version of this lens - I owned one bought new this past August:

Amazon.com: Sigma 17-50mm F2.8 EX DC OS HSM Lens for Pentax SLR Cameras: Camera & Photo
How has your experience been with this lens? Did you have a kit lens that this replaced?

02-05-2013, 05:47 PM   #50
Veteran Member

How has your experience been with this lens? Did you have a kit lens that this replaced?
I never had a kit lens at all.

The lens had a great build quality and the IQ was great. But....as with most of my Sigma lens purchases, it had pretty bad back focus. Now I know I could adjust it with the AF fine adjustment, or send it in to Sigma with my camera for calibration, but when I buy a new lens, especially for that kind of money, I expect it to be right on. I sent it back. I've had similar experiences with a couple new Sigma lenses, so pretty much gave up on them all. I now have a DA* 16-50 that I am very happy with.

Please don't take my experience or attitude about Sigma lenses to heart in making your own decision. It really is a fine lens and if the one I bought didn't have the back focus issues I would have been very happy with it.
02-05-2013, 06:05 PM   #51
Veteran Member

I'd like to know how that lens works out for you in Utah. Iowa weather here is dull and gloomy as well. I'm looking at replacing the kit
Lens with something a bit sharper but I'd really like to get the 15mm or 21 mm prime lenses as well.
If WR isn't an absolute necessity for you, and you are looking to replace your kit lens with something more budget conscience, have you looked at the DA 16-45? While I never had the kit lens to compare it to, I found the IQ of the 16-45 to be very very good.
02-05-2013, 06:11 PM   #52
Pentaxian

If WR isn't an absolute necessity for you, and you are looking to replace your kit lens with something more budget conscience, have you looked at the DA 16-45? While I never had the kit lens to compare it to, I found the IQ of the 16-45 to be very very good.
Yes I am eyeing that lens as well.

02-06-2013, 03:33 AM   #53
Pentaxian

The Pentax version does *not* have OS on it.
Cool!

Thanks for letting us know.
02-06-2013, 07:11 AM   #54

Interesting, as it makes no sense to make OS lenses for Pentax DSLRs...as they are already optically stabilized. And when I went shopping for mine, I looked at B&H, Amazon, Adorama, and Beach Camera....some listed it as OS, and others didn't, and since they were all about the same price ($619) I just assumed they hadn't changed the product description from their Canon/Nikon listings. I ordered mine from B&H, and there is no OS option on it. On the attached picture, you can clearly see where the OS switch *would* be. But it's not there.
Attached Images

Last edited by azcavalier; 02-06-2013 at 07:20 AM.
02-06-2013, 07:27 AM   #55
Veteran Member

Interesting, as it makes no sense to make OS lenses for Pentax DSLRs...as they are already optically stabilized. And when I went shopping for mine, I looked at B&H, Amazon, Adorama, and Beach Camera....some listed it as OS, and others didn't, and since they were all about the same price ($619) I just assumed they hadn't changed the product description from their Canon/Nikon listings. I ordered mine from B&H, and there is no OS option on it. On the attached picture, you can clearly see where the OS switch *would* be. But it's not there.
I realize this - Sigma made this lens in Pentax mount with OS and without. I was just pointing out that it is available with OS when you said it wasn't. As a matter of fact, the description of this lens has said OS when the lens actually did not. Take a look at the PF review page - the lens is listed twice, both have OS in the description, but one has OS and the other doesn't.

Sigma Lenses for Pentax: Current Zoom Lenses - Pentax Lens Review Database
02-06-2013, 07:51 AM   #56

I realize this - Sigma made this lens in Pentax mount with OS and without. I was just pointing out that it is available with OS when you said it wasn't.
No problem. I got you mixed up with the poster who had commented that the OS version was the only version available for Pentax shooters. Apparently it's available in both OS and non-OS (which still doesn't make a lot of sense). Well, I say that without double-checking if all Pentax dSLR cameras have Shake Reduction. All three of mine do (K10D, K20D, K-5 IIs). I don't know about the rest. What happens if you combine a Pentax stabilized dSLR with an OS lens, and you have the OS active on the lens and in the camera? Does it make a difference? Does it affect the sharpness of the photos? Just curious.

As a matter of fact, the description of this lens has said OS when the lens actually did not. Take a look at the PF review page - the lens is listed twice, both have OS in the description, but one has OS and the other doesn't.

Sigma Lenses for Pentax: Current Zoom Lenses - Pentax Lens Review Database
Yep, I saw that this morning as I was perusing the review page (and after I had posted that the Pentax version didn't have OS).
02-06-2013, 08:00 AM   #57
Veteran Member

What happens if you combine a Pentax stabilized dSLR with an OS lens, and you have the OS active on the lens and in the camera? Does it make a difference? Does it affect the sharpness of the photos? Just curious.
I've never done any formal testing of my own, but have read accounts here where you can use one or the other - not both at the same time. In theory I can see where it would make a blurry image using both. So you either choose the lens OS or the body SR. I know with the longer Sigma lenses (over 300mm) the lens OS is more effective than the body SR.

As for why - my only guess is production cost. If they have a run setup and all the parts purchased to make an OS lens, it may be more cost effective to just run them all the same while just installing the different camera mounts.
02-06-2013, 12:26 PM   #58
Pentaxian

No problem. I got you mixed up with the poster who had commented that the OS version was the only version available for Pentax shooters. Apparently it's available in both OS and non-OS (which still doesn't make a lot of sense). Well, I say that without double-checking if all Pentax dSLR cameras have Shake Reduction. All three of mine do (K10D, K20D, K-5 IIs). I don't know about the rest. What happens if you combine a Pentax stabilized dSLR with an OS lens, and you have the OS active on the lens and in the camera? Does it make a difference? Does it affect the sharpness of the photos? Just curious.

Yep, I saw that this morning as I was perusing the review page (and after I had posted that the Pentax version didn't have OS).
I see stormtech has had problems with his Sigma lens. How has yours treated you?
02-06-2013, 12:58 PM   #59

I see stormtech has had problems with his Sigma lens. How has yours treated you?
Mine has been great. I've had problems with backfocus issues on Pentax lenses and my Tamron on my K20D, but haven't seen it on my Sigma. However, I've literally only taken maybe 50 photos with it.
02-06-2013, 02:11 PM   #60
Pentaxian

Mine has been great. I've had problems with backfocus issues on Pentax lenses and my Tamron on my K20D, but haven't seen it on my Sigma. However, I've literally only taken maybe 50 photos with it.
So would you feel comfortable replacing the kit lens DA-L 18-55mm with it? That is what I am debating. I want to grab some primes but can only afford one lens at a time. The 40mm limited looks to be the sharpest and least expensive of them all. I saw one on eBay for 300 bucks.