Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
06-17-2011, 05:08 PM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Appropriate pricing for used lenses?

Are there any good rules of thumb for generating a reasonable price point when selling near-mint condition used lenses that are still in production and available new? 80% of current price for new lens? 70%? Anything like that?

Fleabay is no help because I'm pretty sure the people over there are crazy.

06-17-2011, 05:11 PM   #2
Site Supporter

I search through the sold section of the marketplace for prior sale prices and adjust based on condition.
06-17-2011, 05:12 PM   #3
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I personally go by 77% +/- 5% unless there is a reason to down price it or up-price it (such as an early FA 43 ltd (before 99).
06-17-2011, 05:30 PM   #4
Forum Member

Hate to tell you this but ebay prices have pretty much upped used stuff prices.

I heard of a Gsale were the the owner was quoting and printing pages from Ebay completed listings.

06-17-2011, 05:34 PM   #5
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by bobva Quote
Hate to tell you this but ebay prices have pretty much upped used stuff prices.

I heard of a Gsale were the the owner was quoting and printing pages from Ebay completed listings.
For items no longer in production, this makes sense, but I typically see people posting listings for used items at prices that are higher than the same item new which, obviously, doesn't make my sense.
06-17-2011, 05:39 PM   #6
Veteran Member

Your question is kind of vague. Are you looking for appropriate pricing for the seller or the buyer?

As a buyer I wouldn't even consider a lens priced higher than 80% of its current selling price. And I probably wouldn't be interested in paying more than 70%. There can be considerable risk buying used and you may or may not get the warranty.

As a seller it seems likely that you can sell for 80% or even more. But I don't understand it.
06-17-2011, 05:43 PM   #7
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by abacus07 Quote
Your question is kind of vague. Are you looking for appropriate pricing for the seller or the buyer?

As a buyer I wouldn't even consider a lens priced higher than 80% of its current selling price. And I probably wouldn't be interested in paying more than 70%. There can be considerable risk buying used and you may or may not get the warranty.

As a seller it seems likely that you can sell for 80% or even more. But I don't understand it.
I use my above guidelines as the upper limit when I am buying.

06-17-2011, 06:26 PM   #8

On a lens costing more than 600.00 new, i would not purchase this lens for only 20%off with no warranty. Not worth it, the warranty is worth more to me. The more the cost, the lower the price would have to be for me to purchase used.
06-17-2011, 07:59 PM   #9
Inactive Account

Look at ebay's "completed listings" in the left hand column. It tells you what things actually sold for. The "buy it nows" you see listed are typically much higher and as the completed listings" data shows do not represent reality.
06-17-2011, 08:32 PM   #10
Veteran Member

If you want to trust the free market, list them on eBay starting at 99 cents, and see where they go.
06-17-2011, 09:37 PM   #11
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by newarts Quote
Look at ebay's "completed listings" in the left hand column. It tells you what things actually sold for. The "buy it nows" you see listed are typically much higher and as the completed listings" data shows do not represent reality.
But that doesn't mean it's smart to buy at those prices. Those are definitely the prices that you sell at. But I can't understand the prices that some people pay for used lenses from a stranger when they could go out and buy it new with a warranty from an established merchant for 10-20% more.
06-17-2011, 09:56 PM   #12
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by abacus07 Quote
But that doesn't mean it's smart to buy at those prices. Those are definitely the prices that you sell at. But I can't understand the prices that some people pay for used lenses from a stranger when they could go out and buy it new with a warranty from an established merchant for 10-20% more.
I guess I look at it the other way. I can't imagine buying a lens new and paying 20% more for the same thing just to get a warranty that I likely will never use. Of the 20(ish) lenses I own right now, the only one I bought new was the DA15, and that was only because it just came out (when I bought it) and there were no used ones for sale. Now I agree that as the price of a used lens approaches the new price there is certainly less incentive to buy used. However, for me that point might approach ~90% of the new price depending on the specific lens.
06-17-2011, 10:34 PM   #13
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by dgaies Quote
I guess I look at it the other way. I can't imagine buying a lens new and paying 20% more for the same thing just to get a warranty that I likely will never use. Of the 20(ish) lenses I own right now, the only one I bought new was the DA15, and that was only because it just came out (when I bought it) and there were no used ones for sale. Now I agree that as the price of a used lens approaches the new price there is certainly less incentive to buy used. However, for me that point might approach ~90% of the new price depending on the specific lens.
What about a DA* 16-50mm?
06-18-2011, 05:49 AM   #14
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Blue Quote
What about a DA* 16-50mm?
That would fall under the "depending on the specific lens" clause of my above statement

Let's just say the threshold buy price on a used DA*16-50 (for me) would be less than $500