Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
11-13-2007, 12:20 AM   #1
Inactive Account

40mm 2.8 limited (pancake)... is this normal?

virtually instant, totally accurate focus - very good
instant manual focus override - very good
weighs nothing - very good
cheap (from Adorama) - very good
great build quality - very good

but... it's sharp at 2.8... and razor sharp stepped down, right across the frame, superb from corner to corner - very bad :-( now I can't justify buying any other primes... how do I top this?

11-13-2007, 12:29 AM   #2
Veteran Member

Why sharp from corner to corner is bad for you?

If you like narrow depth of field, just close into the subject, leaving room for the background.

I personally think pentax primes might not be the sharpest in the world, but its consistent sharpness from centre to corners is probably the best around. (with exception of zooms in general)

11-13-2007, 01:01 AM   #3
Inactive Account

Original Poster
no, no, no... sharp is brilliant

sharp is brilliant, which is why i can't justify ever buying another prime this one can't be topped (for me).
11-13-2007, 01:26 AM   #4
Veteran Member

Oops, my bad. Misunderstanding!

But there are things sharper though. Bleeding sharp like A* 85mm f1.4 which I had yet seen its images through personal use.

Buying primes is an addiction. Give it a 2 month period. You will get more.

I already made my order for the new 2 voigtlander lenses: 58mm f1.4 and 40mm f2 hehe...

11-13-2007, 09:41 AM   #5
Inactive Account

QuoteOriginally posted by roentarre Quote
Oops, my bad. Misunderstanding!

But there are things sharper though. Bleeding sharp like A* 85mm f1.4 which I had yet seen its images through personal use.

Buying primes is an addiction. Give it a 2 month period. You will get more.

I already made my order for the new 2 voigtlander lenses: 58mm f1.4 and 40mm f2 hehe...
What did the 58 mm cost you? I can't seem to find a price for it anywhere for U.S or Canada. I just ordered a 50mm f/2, for 40$ with shipping/taxes, to use as a cheap manual prime. Hopefully 5/2 will suffice for portraits.
Edit: I really your gallery!
11-13-2007, 10:11 AM   #6
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by 123K10D Quote
sharp is brilliant, which is why i can't justify ever buying another prime this one can't be topped (for me).
Oh, you'd be surprised. If you find yourself buying (and loving) one sharp prime, it won't be long before you buy half a dozen more...
11-13-2007, 01:59 PM   #7
Veteran Member

That's why they make em in different focal lengths. So there's something else to buy. Plus, then you will want the ones that have the 'personality' as well as the 'perfection', and Just To Be Sure the previous 6 iterations of a given formula... So yeah, the 40 isn't the 70, now is it? And neither is the 31, 43, 77... and while at it, perhaps you note sometimes you want to focus closer, so then there's the macros to look at.

yep. You don't need another prime lens, ever

11-13-2007, 02:08 PM   #8
Veteran Member

I was equally impressed with the DA 40mm Limited, and even used it for 85-90% of the shots I took at a wedding this weekend. AWESOME lens, and a very very decent price.

I'm already eyeing the DA 21mm Limited as I used my 18-55mm Pentax kit lens for wide shots... oh, and the 50-200mm wasn't good for indoor telephoto, so the DA70 or the FA77 is looking like a possibility...

Uh oh... I think I have LBA....... Darn you Pentax for making these awesome lenses!!!!

QuoteQuote:
That's what I thought until I realized I could use a longer telephoto and a decent wide angle that has the same build quality and brilliant sharpness. Apparently, some of the FA series is as good as the DA series for sharp primes. If you like the DA, go for the FA. Or if you're okay with manual focusing, go for M or A.... can someone back me up on this?
11-13-2007, 02:26 PM   #9
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by LeftBehind Quote
What did the 58 mm cost you? I can't seem to find a price for it anywhere for U.S or Canada. I just ordered a 50mm f/2, for 40$ with shipping/taxes, to use as a cheap manual prime. Hopefully 5/2 will suffice for portraits.
Edit: I really your gallery!
I pre-ordered the lens from a shop called Chii (got a few lenses from this chap, reliable)

About 500 SG dollars each or so (I think SG equivalent to US dollar value currently)

Apparently the stock comes in about mid december.
11-13-2007, 02:43 PM   #10
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by 123K10D Quote
LOL. How do you top your 40?? Let me count the ways. Let see now..... there's the 31 limited, the 77 limited, the FA* or A* 85f1.4. you will want them, resistance is futile, dang LBA .
11-13-2007, 04:23 PM   #11
Inactive Account

I, myself, don't own any primes yet. I don't mind telling you that from what I see happening mentally and physically to you folks has me scared to start.

11-13-2007, 05:24 PM   #12
Forum Member

QuoteOriginally posted by magnum1 Quote
I, myself, don't own any primes yet. I don't mind telling you that from what I see happening mentally and physically to you folks has me scared to start.

If you want to be happy with your zooms and keep your money in the bank do not try a prime lens . I made a big mistake before, I bought an M50 1.7 and never got satisfied with my zooms. I have two of the DA limited and I am saving up for the DA40 or FA43 (still undecided).
11-13-2007, 07:53 PM   #13
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by maj0rglitch Quote
If you want to be happy with your zooms and keep your money in the bank do not try a prime lens . I made a big mistake before, I bought an M50 1.7 and never got satisfied with my zooms. I have two of the DA limited and I am saving up for the DA40 or FA43 (still undecided).
I definitely agree. I picked up a Super-Takumar 50mm f/1.4 for $20 on ebay (it even had a spotmatic attached ) maybe a year ago. I had just spent a week using my Dad's $5000 Noctilux (a Leica 50mm f/1...yes, you read that correctly: f/1) on his $5000 M7, and I decided that with my hard-earned grad student stipend, I wanted a fast lens of my own.

Only a stop slower and $4980 cheaper? Hell yeah! Takes better pictures, too.

In the intervening months, I have since acquired another Super-Tak 50/1.4, a Super-Tak 28/3.5, 3 A 50/1.7's, an M 50/1.7, an M 50/2, an M 200/4, an FA 31/1.8, a DA 21/3.2, and an FA 43/1.9. I haven't kept them all, instead keeping a rotating collection with a dedicated lens fund Paypal account. Pentax glass only keeps going up in value, so I make a little profit every time a lens rotates out of the collection.

Keeps the LBA alive!
11-13-2007, 07:55 PM   #14
Veteran Member

My only problem is now my lens fund is spent, and I don't have any lenses I can bear to part with! Time to sell a kidney, I guess.
11-13-2007, 11:45 PM   #15
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Can a guy get enough for a kidney to get a FA* 300/2.8? I've got an extra one:-).